• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
100kg would be seriously impressive.

What sort of knee grief?
Are you not able to do similar? (I just figured so, considering I've seen some massive squat/bench figures...)
For comparison before christmas at the end of an HST cycle I could front squat 100kg x4 (was hard!) and bench ~85kg (similar ability on dumbbells), before I knacked my shoulder kayaking.

deadlift 182.5x1 (checked this > 1 year ago... possibly (probably? :p) better now.

Not sure on whats wrong with my knee just know it twinges and gives me pain sometimes. Often wear wraps when squatting (tend to only front squat) and now going to do it with heavy cleans, think the quick movement and if my leg is in a weak position causes it grief.

One impressive figure I've seen from a guy in our gym is clean and jerking 140+ kg :O

Last edited:
Soldato
Wait haven't you spent the past 2 months working out what you're going to do when you start again? :confused:

First thought that came to my head too. Is quick to give out advise but won't take a stance on his own training without being spoon fed what he is told he 'should' do as opposed to what he 'wants' to do, or knows what works best for his body.

Not hating on Delvis at all, just my observation!

Last edited:
Caporegime
First thought that came to my head too. Is quick to give out advise but won't take a stance on his own training without being spoon fed what he is told he 'should' do as opposed to what he 'wants' to do, or knows what works best for his body.

Just after some general experience and thoughts on what people think I should do really, I know my body is generally **** and breaks if a fly hits me at the wrong angle, and I know some people have had back issues in the past (like SKill and Nightmare to name a couple)

Anyway, as said, I'd like to just go back and do Deadlifts and squats straight away, but I know how my back is feeling currently. For instance it was fine yesterday, today it feels naff after seeing the physio yesterday....???? :p I'm also not an expert on what muscle groups get affected on certain exercises for the lower back, thats my main reason fro posting

EDIT: Just saw your edit :p <3

Last edited:
Soldato
For my legs yes, which is what I'm doing :)

I was asking about the back as well, as I have no cable machine.

I'm also wondering if it would be worth risking things like BORS and RDL's.

All I can say is try it with the bar, then atleast if it isnt for you back, then its only with the bar and not loaded with weight.

Associate

After being advised to do the following I came out as follows

Benchpress
Incline Benchpress
Pec deck or Flys
Straight arm chest pullover

45 minute session
Rowing for 5 minutes
Decline bench 40kg 8x4
Incline bench 30kg 8x4
Incline flys 8kg 8x4 - I was very tired and shaky at this point
Bench 30kg 8x4 - Only did 6 on last set as I had no spotter and was very shaky, felt like I could lift more but just fatigued even though I had the longest rest here between sets
Straight arm chest pullover - 8kg 8x1 > 10kg 8x3 - Felt weird on the, might try arching my back next time as I seemed to have limited range and more pressure on shoulders?
Torso Extension 45kg 8x1 > 55kg 8x3

Overall it felt like a good workout!

How does the above look considering its day 2 at the gym?
I take it incline/decline/flat bench does different parts of your chest correct?

Man of Honour
Chin ups
Pull ups
DB row
Prone "Y"s

This isn't exactly tricky mate. I'm pretty sure I've recommended all but the prone "Y"s very recently.

Edit: wtf happened to the formatting?!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Delvis, you need to actually go to a place which has equipment :)

Indeed...Money though.

I have an interview tomorrow so hopefully something will come from it! :)

If you doubt the effect of them with all things considered stay away from them until you are fixed. This applies to lots of things :)

Ta chap :)

Just getting impatient, it's been too long now :(

Soldato
I know my body is generally **** and breaks if a fly hits me at the wrong angle, and I know some people have had back issues in the past (like SKill and Nightmare to name a couple)

not wanting to sound harsh, but could this just be a low pain thresh hold thing? or you just being very over cautious? from what you have told us that your physio has said, there is no obvious or apparent injury.
trust me i had many a back session when i thought i had over done it, however it turned out to be doms, and maybe slight over exercsion, however as i have got stronger, and my form has improved, these have reduced.

Your in the right frame of mind about getting back in the gym, just do as many have said and avoid the obvious big back lifts, also dont hold your movements to long.

The leg mobility especially any hamstring work will be helpful to your lower back as a by-product of the benefits to your hamstrings. Also, again please correct me if i am wrong, but there are not really such things as specific lower back stretchs to do.

light lower back exercises, mobility, and core exerises.

Hell, why dont you start back on your 3 day split on chest day then do legs and shoulders then hit your back last to get you back in to the swing of things before you specifically target your back!

Associate
Really struggling with squat form as a beginner. I can't seem to do it even with an empty bar without arching my back, which I'm told is not good.

I'm starting to think it might be worth cutting it out of my routine altogether in favour of an alternative exercise. What do you guys think?

Associate
Really struggling with squat form as a beginner. I can't seem to do it even with an empty bar without arching my back, which I'm told is not good.

I'm starting to think it might be worth cutting it out of my routine altogether in favour of an alternative exercise. What do you guys think?

Nooooooo!

Nothing can replace squats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom