• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Finally managed to get my 130kg chest press to 5 full sets of 10 reps. :D

Happy days, until my ex walked in and was all like " not heavy enough " Hahaha.

She spent most of her time messing about on an exercise ball, while I was slowly turning into mush from training.

Associate
5/3/1 squats

Failed.

Extended break away from the gym incoming :(

Sorry to hear that mate, what happened?

I'm just off to the gym now to do my 6x6 smolov jr and then I'm going to gymnastics. Gunna be sore tomorrow :).

Ha ha, yeah that' where the real training is N19h7m4r3, exercise balls all the way :p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ha ha, yeah that' where the real training is N19h7m4r3, exercise balls all the way :p.

Haha! She was attempting to try some balance thing where she's on her knees on the ball then brings one foot up and then the other to stand on it and back down.

All while her friend one of the employees was holding her hand to stop her from falling over.

Was very funny, then it got scary when I was doing stretches on the matt next to her and her balance started going. Last thing I need is someone falling on my back while I'm on the ground Hahaha.

All I can do is sit on the exercise ball really, so she's one up'd me there :p

Soldato
5/3/1 squats

Failed.

Damn dude bad times, maybe your just going through a bit of a head funk ;) is a small deload worth it especially after you destroyed yourself with bbb over the last month etc.

Finally managed to get my 130kg chest press to 5 full sets of 10 reps. :D

Happy days, until my ex walked in and was all like " not heavy enough " Hahaha.

She spent most of her time messing about on an exercise ball, while I was slowly turning into mush from training.

:p

Soldato

Knowthatfeel.

My back ****ed up last night while simply bending down to pick up some dumbells. Didn't even grab hold of them before i felt it go. Instant bit of pain and a massive ache that lasted until i went to bed. Feels better today but it's tender in the general area.

How nice that weeks and weeks of mobility work to fix my posture/APT has ended up in me getting injured. **** it

Caporegime
Sorry to hear that mate, what happened?
Only managed 4 reps on my second set and didn't even bother with my + set. Set a PB on bench yesterday and felt very strong after a week off but I literally have no leg or back strength at the moment.

If I continue with this routine but drop the weight back to something I can comfortably rep for 5 it'll take me 22 months to get back to where I was a month and a half ago.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
PK you finding the weights too heavy or just finding yourself too tired? Drop the weight back by 10kg or so and see how that goes. You can always test your max in a cycle or so and put that back into the spreadsheet.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
When was the last time you tested your max? I think you're either burnt out or your max needs to be adjusted. Like I said, drop it back a bit and see how that goes. You can then test your max in a cycle or 2 and readjust.

I don't like the idea of going off of estimated maxes based on sets for reps. I think it's best to do a max test and take that into the program.

Soldato
I'm going to hit the gym tomorrow, not been for a week as things were too hectic. Been itching to go back in after knowing that my deadlift form is acceptable; been doing stuff at home but it's not the same!

50 or 55kg deads I think! :cool: probably 3x8, will warm up with bar, do 5x40 then just keep adding 5kg and see what's what.

Will take videos too, if I remember :)

Any ideas what to supplement deads with? Was thinking of neg chins, BOR and maybe some shoulder raises.

How nice that weeks and weeks of mobility work to fix my posture/APT has ended up in me getting injured. **** it

I'm a bit behind the times but how did that happen? :eek: Did you slip whilst doing some mobility stuff?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
BOR and Chins are good. I did both tonight and found doing chins before BOR meant my arms were destroyed. Going to do BOR first next week and chins after to see how that plays out.

Associate
Good session tonight! :D

Dead lift 5/3/1 week 2

30 mins of mobility work mainly for legs and lower back then a 5 min run to warm up.

5 × 60
5 × 75
3 × 90
3 × 105
3 × 120
3+ × 135 Done 8 reps here! Was really tired by the TH rep and my form started to suffer but I still pushed on through although my back felt great. Using a 1rm calculater y new 1rm already seems to be around 170 up about 5kg! :D

10 × 60
10 × 60
10 × 60
10 × 60
10 × 60

Thought I would add in the missing set from the Triumvirate program for a little more work ;)

So the usual good mornings with a low weight working my way from 20kg to 30kg then hanging raises :).

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Tested my max before Xmas and set my 5 rep PB two weeks before I started 5/3/1.

I'd be tempted to test that max again. The max at xmas means nothing really unless you were on some kind of program to improve that. Don't like estimated maxes from sets, too many things to factor in to make it accurate.

Associate
Right, following the request for more weight to show the big ol' flaws in my squat.

Worked up slowly from 60 but only videod the last few and I managed to catch most of them at the wrong angle.
80x5
100x3
110x3

and finally the video
115kgx1

My own thinkings: weak ankle mobility, see the roll at the end of the movement and lose my back/knees during the movement up (was probably too tired after the volume by this point). Going to hit the ankle mobility over the next few weeks and make sure.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You lose your back because you're not keeping that chest up. You need to be a bit more upright. When you push at the bottom your arse comes up but your torso slumps. Knees need to be pushed out harder to avoid collapsing which compounds the issue of tightness at the bottom.

Associate
Right, following the request for more weight to show the big ol' flaws in my squat.

Worked up slowly from 60 but only videod the last few and I managed to catch most of them at the wrong angle.
80x5
100x3
110x3

and finally the video
115kgx1

My own thinkings: weak ankle mobility, see the roll at the end of the movement and lose my back/knees during the movement up (was probably too tired after the volume by this point). Going to hit the ankle mobility over the next few weeks and make sure.

Now you've gone from one extreme to another! :p

A super light easy set of 5 to a near 1RM(?)! :D

Again, this will also be hard to tell your normal deficiencies for a regular work set as you're working with near maximal weights which for beginners will almost always not be their best form. Best thing to do for a form check vid is a moderately heavy set of 5; something where you'd only be left with a couple of reps in the tank.

From that vid, the socks aren't doing you any favours as it looks like your feet twist and slide at the bottom of the squat. If you don't want to get weightlifting shoes, try something like Chuck Taylors for more grip. Some people recommend wearing Vibram Five Fingers, but these shoes come with a seriously critical flaw and that is that you have to wear Vibram Five Fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom