• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Had a great final session at my gym last night, thought i'd try for a deadlift PB before I left. Anyway went like this:-

60kg x 8
100kg x 5
120kg x 5
135kg x 5
150kg x 3
172.5kg x 1
190kg x 1
200kg x 1 :) New PB
170kg x 1 (was going to try three reps but only managed one, I was hosed)

Anyway, well happy with finally reaching 200kg. I thought it wasn't too bad at 88kg body weight:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
That looks like a pretty good day there Delvis. I do everything in vibrams anyway but I think barefoot is best.

Thanks mate :)

The BSS' where a light weight, but I'm going to work them up each week so hopefully my balance will come with it (Heres hoping! :p)

So so hard after all the work. 3x5kg plates is quite thick and a decent bit of grip work challenge. :)

Hehm never thought of doing it like that for some reason :o

Soldato
Just after some general experience and thoughts on what people think I should do really, I know my body is generally **** and breaks if a fly hits me at the wrong angle, and I know some people have had back issues in the past (like SKill and Nightmare to name a couple)

Anyway, as said, I'd like to just go back and do Deadlifts and squats straight away, but I know how my back is feeling currently. For instance it was fine yesterday, today it feels naff after seeing the physio yesterday....???? :p I'm also not an expert on what muscle groups get affected on certain exercises for the lower back, thats my main reason fro posting

EDIT: Just saw your edit :p <3

Have you asked your physio? I'd only imagine that jumping into a routine will aggrevate the back more than it should be so soon! :eek:

Caporegime
Have you asked your physio? I'd only imagine that jumping into a routine will aggrevate the back more than it should be so soon! :eek:

To be honest she's not being overly helpful. I'm not going back for another week or so yet purely because I dont have the funds available, when I told her that she looked surprised for some reason :p

So far, the back feels good, I'm keeping it light, and not doing anything that directly aggravates the lower back / Hip area.

Watch this space I guess :)

Associate
Had a great final session at my gym last night, thought i'd try for a deadlift PB before I left. Anyway went like this:-

60kg x 8
100kg x 5
120kg x 5
135kg x 5
150kg x 3
172.5kg x 1
190kg x 1
200kg x 1 :) New PB
170kg x 1 (was going to try three reps but only managed one, I was hosed)

Anyway, well happy with finally reaching 200kg. I thought it wasn't too bad at 88kg body weight:)

Well done. :)

Man of Honour
Wasn't feeling at all strong tonight so went for some crazy super sets to start to get "da pump", followed by some volume

Leg Extension - 30kg x50 (body weight squats x30), 50kg x30 (body weight squats x30), 70kg x10 (body weight squats x30)
Single Leg Leg Press - 70kg x15x 110kg x10, 130kg x10, 140kg x10
Squat - 60kg x15, 80kg x12, 100kg x12, 110kg x8, 120kg x6
Lunges - BWx20, BW x20, BW x20, BW x20, BW x20
Seated Calf Raises on Leg Press - 100kg x15 (supersetted with BW x30 standing calf raises) x5

Because of this, I woke up with calves that I can barely use, and serious DOMS

Recommend that Leg Extension and Squat superset to anyone as a starter exercise

Soldato
I'm not denying that that won't be difficult. But it sounds more like cardio than hypertrophy or strength building to me (okay, maybe conditioning).

I might try a similar set when I come to be doing that sort of stuff. Probably on a half ball though.

Man of Honour
It's about pre-exhausting. It's not a typical training method, but for bodybuilders who are dieting, it's pretty common. As our strength isn't as high as it normally would be, we can't lift the heavier weights we normally do, so instead you have to trick your muscles into growth/hypertrophy.

And doing really high reps like that or supersets to exhaust the muscle are a great way of doing that

I'd rarely do that on my off season

Caporegime
Anyone find that because your glutes are beasty your boxers ride up a lot when sitting down and crush your gonads?

You need tent hot pants like me then :o

The GF got me some pants for XMas, they looked ridiculously too big...Upon putting them on they're nice and snug as my butts big enough to cause half the moon to be blacked out apparently :o

Associate
I definitely have a larger than normal ass but I can never say that has happened to me :).

Because of this, I woke up with calves that I can barely use, and serious DOMS

Recommend that Leg Extension and Squat superset to anyone as a starter exercise

Sounds horrendous mate, I do not envy you :).

Just got back from Mr Physioman and I appear to have developed DOMS in my thoracic-lumbar juntion for some reason :/.

Soldato
Hey guys, quick question, I have recently started doing squats having never done them before, as t'internets say they are a workout bread and butter. Form is ok and weights low but I am really sore the following day and there after, particularly my quads. My question is, should I wait until the Soreness dissipates or is it ok to train through the pain at the next session?

Caporegime
Hey guys, quick question, I have recently started doing squats having never done them before, as t'internets say they are a workout bread and butter. Form is ok and weights low but I am really sore the following day and there after, particularly my quads. My question is, should I wait until the Soreness dissipates or is it ok to train through the pain at the next session?

I train through doms, I love it.

Its espically great when I do legs then chest the next day gives you a shock to how much leg drive you use in non-leg exercises. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom