• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hey guys, quick question, I have recently started doing squats having never done them before, as t'internets say they are a workout bread and butter. Form is ok and weights low but I am really sore the following day and there after, particularly my quads. My question is, should I wait until the Soreness dissipates or is it ok to train through the pain at the next session?

One of the advantages of doing a split is that you don't need to train sore muscles the next day/ two days later. Just go on to the next group... crawl to the gym if you have to :p

Associate
Yep, a damned good thread and has helped loads. Im just waiting on IceColds addition to his Squat post and name it 'A guide to better Deadlifting'.

Only kidding Ice! ;)

I'm sure it'll come at some point although in the mean time a lot of the principle that apply for squatting also apply for deadlifting. For example, in a squat if your back rounds under at the bottom, it is most likely that you have tightness in your posterior chain. It is the same for deadlifting, if you can't reach the bar without compensating spinal positioning something is tight. Where the loss of stability is will indicate where is tight :).

Associate
SORE!

What's your current stats, height, weight, body type etc? 11.10stone or 74.4kg I am not sure about height around 5ft 11? Ectomorph with a bit of Mesomorph - generally quite skinny/slim but look toned without going to gym but I have really thin wrists/ankles etc

How far were you going back on the pullovers? same as the videos? In the video his dumbell nearly touches the floor, mine was at either 90 or 180 depending on how you look at it! I think it was cos I kept my back flat that I didnt have the extended motion? hard to tell without using the mirror

Noted, I will try get the bench first its just the problem of obtaining a bench as the gym is always busy!

Routine seems to be working for me so far as my legs are still hurting 2 days later and the following are still sore from yesterdays workout:
Chest
Triceps
Neck a tiny bit(might be from looking down on torso rotation as I struggle to keep head forward)
Abs hurt a little
Traps hurt a tiny bit more so on the left

Still sore but want to hit the gym today as I leave for croatia for the weekend so what would you guys advise for day 3 at the gym?

Associate
Ha ha, I know what you mean. For me anything where I get to move around a lot is good. At the moment I coach for my old rowing club and it's really awesome, you don't get funny looks if you just start stretching or walking like a retard because you are trying to activate you core properly :p.

Caporegime
Ha ha, I know what you mean. For me anything where I get to move around a lot is good. At the moment I coach for my old rowing club and it's really awesome, you don't get funny looks if you just start stretching or walking like a retard because you are trying to activate you core properly :p.

Aye...Sometimes wonder why I did IT :o

Soldato
Noted, I will try get the bench first its just the problem of obtaining a bench as the gym is always busy!

Routine seems to be working for me so far as my legs are still hurting 2 days later and the following are still sore from yesterdays workout:
Chest
Triceps
Neck a tiny bit(might be from looking down on torso rotation as I struggle to keep head forward)
Abs hurt a little
Traps hurt a tiny bit more so on the left

Still sore but want to hit the gym today as I leave for croatia for the weekend so what would you guys advise for day 3 at the gym?

Cool, you sound very similar to me then body type wise, and I was about that weight when I started, I am now at a steady 12.5stone and hoping to be 13stone...

DOMS are good! :D

I would do a back workout today!
You could have a go at deadlifts, but watch plenty of the videos posted in this thread to look up proper form, I would start with 10kg on either side of an Olympic bar.
If you don't want to give that a go, then start with pull ups, if you can manage them go to chin ups, same thing but with your wrists around like this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FlR1sPAmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Those are going to be a killer if you've never done them before....

Then you could use a few of the back machines, Lat pull down is a good one, there are usually a few back machines so take a look at each and decide.
Take a look at some of the things here:
http://www.ironworkout.com/back_workout.htm
What they call the 1 arm dumbbell rows are a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom