• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Listen to quite a few bodybuilding podcasts, all are catered to the pros or are news shows for fans.

There's hardly any that are just amateur bodybuilders or serious gym go'ers that don't compete talking about the hobby, sharing tips, discussing issues and general chat

Man of Honour
Wouldn't be wierd at all mate

Think of it being exactly the same format as it was around the table at Nandos at the meet, thay just on Skype and recorded. That's how I envisage it. With the odd interview here and there, which I'd edit in

Associate
Listen to quite a few bodybuilding podcasts, all are catered to the pros or are news shows for fans.

There's hardly any that are just amateur bodybuilders or serious gym go'ers that don't compete talking about the hobby, sharing tips, discussing issues and general chat

Iron Radio used to be my favourite. It has a weightlifter, a power lifter, a nutrition scientist (and ex-bodybuilder) and another powerlifter/bodybuilder. They were pretty cool. It still seems to be going, might give them a listen again.

There's also the Rx Muscle Power Hour which has a nutrition guy and a competitive strongman (and semi-powerlifter). They're also pretty cool, and I liked them because they're out of Houston Texas, my home town. :D

Rx Muscle's Heavy Muscle Radio was just funny, not serious about training or anything, and they're all about bodybuilding.

Man of Honour
Not at all. It's a discussion amongst a group of guys in to competing or just dedicated hobbyists. They'll be interviews with people who compete about their progress, what they're upto. Or other people involved in the sport or getting into it. Supplement reviews etc

Think of it as this forum with extras in an audio format. That you could listen too in the car, at work or on the train

Associate
I would do a back workout today!
If you don't want to give that a go, then start with pull ups, if you can manage them go to chin ups.

What they call the 1 arm dumbbell rows are a good one.

45 minute session:
5 min row
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T78xCiw_R6g#t=26s
The video above shows the bar in my gym, I used the wide grip
4 pullups then 3 then 3 again Needless to say I felt embaressed ha as I was shaking after my first set of doing 4 on the final 1 so I didnt attempt chin ups like in the vid
MTS ROW 25kg 8x1 they were really hard so I went down to 20kg 8x3
Lat Pull Down 13kg 8x1 then 18kg 8x3
Torso extension 45kg 8x1 then 55kg 8x3
Shrugs 18kg 15x
Row rear deltoid 25kg 8x1 felt easy so 35kg 8x3 but last 2 reps were half ones as my arms didnt go all the way back
Bicep curl 8kg 6 on each arm straight into cable curl on 8kg doing 5 reps half way then 5 more reps full - I was dead so dropped the cable pull to 6kg so it went looked like the following:
16x4 bicep workout

Overall after the above I was extremely tired ha, my biceps felt like they were going to explode but in a good way, I could barely put my coat on as they felt over extended, however the 8kg dumbell was defo too heavy as my form was all over the place standing up after the 1st set as I was swinging my shoulder/elbow but someone was using all the lower dumbells :'(

How does the above look for day no3 workout?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is putting the weight down like that OK?

I reckon my 1rm is somewhere around 90kg (60kg only got tiring towards the end) but I think I'll wait a few months before trying.

Putting the weight down like that is fine, you have a pretty good movement on the neg.

Solid form, not much to critise other than keeping your core tight, but appreciate being tired near the end.

Keep up the good work and keep the progressive loading up, aim to add 5kg per week for a while :)

Soldato
Putting the weight down like that is fine, you have a pretty good movement on the neg.

Solid form, not much to critise other than keeping your core tight, but appreciate being tired near the end.

Keep up the good work and keep the progressive loading up, aim to add 5kg per week for a while :)

Thanks for the feedback. You think the back is fine then? @ 60kg?

I'm trying to practise tightening the core, might start doing planks on days off.

Soldato
By the last few reps your core and glutes look tired but you can see from the early reps that your carrying good form through the rep, and not raising your butt and lifting with your back.

Associate
Had a quick work out after work

over head press
40x10
50x8
60x5
70x2

bent over rows
40x20
50x15
60x10
70x5

deadlifts
90x10
110x5
130x5
150x5
160x3

Soldato
Did some leg work, not the best session though:

Oly Squat: 80kgx5, 80kgx5, 80kgx5, 82.5kgx5, 82.5kgx5
Oly SLDLs: 80kgx5, 80kgx5, 90kgx5, 90kgx5 90kgx5
Oly Calf Raises: 80kgx5, 80kgx5, 80kgx5, 110kgx3 :( 100kgx5
Leg Press Calf Extensions: 145kgx5, 145kgx5, 145kgx5, 145kgx5, 145kgx5
2x 20kg DB Step up Lunges: 5 sets of 5, each leg
Goblet Squats: 42kgx5, 42kgx5, 42kgx5, 42kgx5, 42kgx5

Grip failed on the Calf raises, so I had to lower it gently before my left hand uncurled itself. I was plagued with very sore wrists until after the SLDLs.

The weights have gone down slightly I think, but the Calf extensions are up 10-20kg; - my form was 100% and I think I get better ROM on the Oly Calf Raises for having the weight slightly down.

Squats are up from last week, I started at 70kg last week, ended at 80kg on the last set.

Kind regards,

David

Associate
I hate you -_-

Ha ha, sorry :D.

Was a great session but it was really silly also. I didn't eat enough during the day so I found myself stuffing my face with overpriced chocolate bars and flap jacks half an hour in. Also, the most ridiculous thing is I was there for nearly 5 hours. I was just being lazy and kept getting caught up in conversations in between sets. I finished it off with some static holds and plate pinches though just to hammer my grip :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom