• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Finally got back into the gym today.

I had hoped to do deads first but there was no space so I did some neg chins which wasn't ideal for energy levels but here are my last 2 sets, first set @ 40kg didn't come out very well.

50kg (lost count of the number of reps, was concentrating on form :o)

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=50kg.mp4

Is putting the weight down like that OK?

In this next vid my form seems to be a bit odd, my lower back rises first? This is what happened last time I deadlifted 60kg. Is that just how it's going to be? I tried my best to lock the core but it doesn't appear to be locked well enough. Lost count of reps again, 60kg:

http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=60kg.mp4

I reckon my 1rm is somewhere around 90kg (60kg only got tiring towards the end) but I think I'll wait a few months before trying.

I reckon your 1rm is more than 90kgs, you look like your lifting those 60kgs pretty easy. Though form over weight :)

I think its a good idea Steedie.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Good video Dom. It's pretty much how I think about my problem areas. If I can't get full range of motion without compensating then I need to work on my mobility for the missing ROM.

Caporegime
Glute DOMS :cool:

Going to bash out the following today:

Squat
DB Chest press
Leg press
Chest flys
Rope pull downs

w00p

Can I ask why your squatting on a chest etc day? :)

Thanks for the feedback. You think the back is fine then? @ 60kg?

I'm trying to practise tightening the core, might start doing planks on days off.

Just make sure everything is TIGHT buddy, lock the shoulders, lock the lats, lock the back, and use every damn muscle if you have to. On the 60KG it does look like your back bends a touch, but I'd rather someone else came along and tells you if it is okay like that or not as it could be the angle or something.

Make sure you drive that bar up as well, and hump the bugger at the top and squeeze those glutes (you have glute doms, so you're doing this it seems)

RIGHT: Chest Day last night, felt nice to be back on it :) Hopefully the backs holding up, need to continue with the stretches I've been given, will make sure I do them tonight.

Basically did:

Bench Press: War up, then 3x8x40KG (certainly more left in the tank)
Inc. DB Press: 3x8x10KG, 1x20x5KG
Flys: 3x10x5kg :p
CGBP: 1 x 10 x Bar, 3 x 10 x 25KG

All felt pretty good apart from the Bench Press, usual shoulder niggles, will have to keep an eye on that.

Soldato
Can I ask why your squatting on a chest etc day? :)

Well I'm doing 2 days in the gym and yesterday was shoulders (although no doms here?) and back and deads.

Today is squat + the rest.

Does it make much difference?

Just make sure everything is TIGHT buddy, lock the shoulders, lock the lats, lock the back, and use every damn muscle if you have to. On the 60KG it does look like your back bends a touch, but I'd rather someone else came along and tells you if it is okay like that or not as it could be the angle or something.

Make sure you drive that bar up as well, and hump the bugger at the top and squeeze those glutes (you have glute doms, so you're doing this it seems)

I am trying to lock as much as poss (to the point where I lose count of how many reps I've done :o) but it's just not happening as well as I'd like. Perhaps it's exposing a lack of core strength?

Caporegime
Well I'm doing 2 days in the gym and yesterday was shoulders (although no doms here?) and back and deads.

Today is squat + the rest.

Does it make much difference?

I am trying to lock as much as poss (to the point where I lose count of how many reps I've done :o) but it's just not happening as well as I'd like. Perhaps it's exposing a lack of core strength?

If I'm honest I wouldn't know, but I would certainly try and train your core somewhat, regardless :)

Get some planks going on if anything mate. Yes they're boring, but hey!

Oh, And I guess it isn;t an issue no...It's just odd :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Sigma your form looks fine. Go heavier and get some more videos. Deadlift when done light is completely different kettle of fish to heavier deadlifts. When you go heavy it will expose any weakness in your technique too which is hard to see with an easy lift.

On the negative try not to take the bar round your knees, break at the hips until the bar is clear of the knees then you can return to the floor.

Caporegime
I do a bit of coaching sometimes, but only on form.

To be fair, I would acctually be quite happy if someone came over to me and told me my form was incorrect and advised me where I was going wrong.

Obviously that advice would be taken with a pinch of salt determine on their lifting style.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
It's mostly people I see doing things really wrong, like rounded back stiff leg deadlift (they are actually trying to do normal deadlift in most cases)

Or the squat where they barely move down.

Soldato
If I'm honest I wouldn't know, but I would certainly try and train your core somewhat, regardless :)

Get some planks going on if anything mate. Yes they're boring, but hey!

Oh, And I guess it isn;t an issue no...It's just odd :p

Yeah, I did mention planks a couple of pages back. Think they'll have to be performed at home on days off. Those bird-dog thingys are supposed to be pretty good too, so will do more of those as well.

Sigma your form looks fine. Go heavier and get some more videos. Deadlift when done light is completely different kettle of fish to heavier deadlifts. When you go heavy it will expose any weakness in your technique too which is hard to see with an easy lift.

I found 60kg heavy, especially near the end :o

On the negative try not to take the bar round your knees, break at the hips until the bar is clear of the knees then you can return to the floor.

Yeah, going to need to work on that. I think I do it because I like the legs to take the strain - paranoia about the back but I'll keep working on it.

I totally understand the comment you made about deadlifting when the going gets tough (despite the lack of tough weights that I'm lifting!). Really does require a lot of concentration!

Caporegime
Yeah, I did mention planks a couple of pages back. Think they'll have to be performed at home on days off. Those bird-dog thingys are supposed to be pretty good too, so will do more of those as well.

I found 60kg heavy, especially near the end :o

Yeah, going to need to work on that. I think I do it because I like the legs to take the strain - paranoia about the back but I'll keep working on it.

I totally understand the comment you made about deadlifting when the going gets tough (despite the lack of tough weights that I'm lifting!). Really does require a lot of concentration!

Ah believe me, 55KG was ridiculous when I was training at home, you'll soon get up to 80KG and then you'll be throwing that up and down for 3x8 pr something in no time :)

For instance, me doing 70KG in July last year: http://youtu.be/VFGHqIh5Vx4

Then me doing the same weight but in Febriary this year: http://youtu.be/9kGVKlnsIZk

Completely different :) Give it a few months and you'll be over the moon :)

EDIT: And yes, just do some planks in the evenings or something, 30s hold or so a few times.

Associate
Well he didn't last long; suspended already :eek:

His opening post here looked pretty suspicious.

Nothing suspicious here lads, was suspended for 2 days because said something about religion. Wasn't expecting that. Anyway glad to be on board :) Some might recognise my name if you frequent other forums, was called WRT on uk-m if anyone goes on there but was banned years ago due to a disagreement.

Steedie - are you a member on TM by any chance? Recognise the name

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Perhaps you could go into detail about your training and diet? It will be helpful to many people including myself how you get to your level.

Also are you natty? It's useful to know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom