• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Devils dude, you have good form on your deadlifts, except the neg which is my main problem to!! Think we need some Dom coaching lol.

If you stick it out in the gym you will be beastly in 6 months easy! Keep up the food intake and no more missing sessions, you got the frame so embrace the lift style ;)

Kaotik massive figures dude really impressive, still think the diet is pretty hard core, you eat the same amount of chicken as I do in a week! yet I still put on fatal well as muscle, I dread to think how much extra poundage your gaining as wasted fat :( but impressive all the same :)

Sigma get on a better split dude, your form seems good, just need to keep upping those weights ;)

Soldato
Well week one so far on wendler

Squat 107.5x10
Bench 77.5x10
Deadlifts 115x11

Also did my first 2 hiit sessions, hard work!! And my ab work out once so far, and mobility as well, damn some of those hamstring stretches are godlike :p

Roll on OHP's tomorrow 55kg + set will be interesting

Associate
Devils dude, you have good form on your deadlifts, except the neg which is my main problem to!! Think we need some Dom coaching lol.

I wish I could explain better how to do it :(. It just kind of happens for me, I don't even think about it.

So I coach a circuits session on a Thursday evening for my rowing club and I've been getting a load of grief from the kids for not doing it myself, I usually sit there and read NewScientist :D, but I've had to tell them that I'll join in from now on.

There are two bad things about this, firstly I'm disgustingly unfit, so they will all see me suffer. Also, the worst of the two is the realization that I have just been bullied through peer pressure by a bunch of children :(.

I think I may die :(.

Man of Honour
I wish I could explain better how to do it :(. It just kind of happens for me, I don't even think about it.

So I coach a circuits session on a Thursday evening for my rowing club and I've been getting a load of grief from the kids for not doing it myself, I usually sit there and read NewScientist :D, but I've had to tell them that I'll join in from now on.

There are two bad things about this, firstly I'm disgustingly unfit, so they will all see me suffer. Also, the worst of the two is the realization that I have just been bullied through peer pressure by a bunch of children :(.

Can't make other people do it if you're not prepared to do it yourself :p

Soldato
Sigma get on a better split dude, your form seems good, just need to keep upping those weights ;)

Will do :) I can feel the DOMS starting to creep in from the last two days of gymming. Tomorrow will be fun!

Well week one so far on wendler

Squat 107.5x10
Bench 77.5x10
Deadlifts 115x11

Also did my first 2 hiit sessions, hard work!! And my ab work out once so far, and mobility as well, damn some of those hamstring stretches are godlike :p

Roll on OHP's tomorrow 55kg + set will be interesting

What did you do for hiit? Running?

How come your squat and deadlift are pretty close together? Mine are too but I thought deads are usually higher?

Gutted :D Always nice to see a PT busting their arse instead of kicking back and relaxing :p

Soldato
Today's workout:
Squat 8 * 60 5 * 70 5 * 80 5 * 80 8 * 60
Front Raise 8 * 7.5s 8 * 12.5 8 * 15 8 * 15
Lunges 8 * 20 4 * 30 4 * 40 4 * 45
Hanstring Machine 8 * 45 8 * 50 8 * 50

I was going to be doing a 3rd set of 80kg squats, but I went down on the first rep and had a moment of doubt about getting back up, decided to call it a day with that weight and go lighter. Not having a cage is annoying :( hopefully this will be solved soon (it is waiting to be assembled).

The hamstring curl machine is now in place in the gym which is good too :)

Soldato
Today's workout:
Squat 8 * 60 5 * 70 5 * 80 5 * 80 8 * 60
Front Raise 8 * 7.5s 8 * 12.5 8 * 15 8 * 15
Lunges 8 * 20 4 * 30 4 * 40 4 * 45
Hanstring Machine 8 * 45 8 * 50 8 * 50

I was going to be doing a 3rd set of 80kg squats, but I went down on the first rep and had a moment of doubt about getting back up, decided to call it a day with that weight and go lighter. Not having a cage is annoying :( hopefully this will be solved soon (it is waiting to be assembled).

The hamstring curl machine is now in place in the gym which is good too :)

Home gym?

Looking good though, once I get up to speed it'll be interesting to see how we both progress.

To be honest posting in here is something which is keeping me going and I think it is the difference between this time and all the previous times where I have stopped for one reason or another.

/emo

Soldato
Home gym?

Looking good though, once I get up to speed it'll be interesting to see how we both progress.

To be honest posting in here is something which is keeping me going and I think it is the difference between this time and all the previous times where I have stopped for one reason or another.

/emo

If it was a home gym that power rack would be up! It's my college's gym.

I can definitely go heavier on the squats (was nowhere near failure on 80*5) it's just a confidence thing when I know I am ****ed if I fail a rep. Bring on the rack!

Man of Honour
Deload sesh 1 complete. So strange not doing much volume and no main lifts. Felt so so strong and gagging for some big lifts! Still I resisted.

Lots of mobility work. And all the additional / subsidiary exercises done at medium/low volume and medium weight.

Soldato
What did you do for hiit? Running?

Bike, currently on a ratio 1:4 60sec warm up 15sec HI 60secLI repeat for 10 reps, 1 min cool down.

Ratios will change over the next few weeks till I am doing 2:1 30sec HI 15sec LI for about 20 reps all fun.

How come your squat and deadlift are pretty close together? Mine are too but I thought deads are usually higher?

I can only assume that the gap increases at higher weight, I have squatted and DL'ed since day one. My maxes are different deads are 10kg higher.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Mini Brain Dump

I've just been thinking over my last few years of lifting.

As I'm sure a lot of you can remember, I was monstrously strong, and rather "large". I also remember when I first started training and just using brute force and strength to get that ****ing bar up, with absolutely no care in the world for technique or injury. That brazen youth phase that one goes through I guess.

I then was blighted with a shoulder injury that put me out of it for a little while. When I came back I hit it even harder, and was at my strongest/biggest (as per my PBs and my ridiculous 102+kg frame and £100 a week diet).

Then personal life and life in general got in the way and I lost my way a little and completely forgot or lost any care for the gym. I literally was completely inactive for nearly 7 or so months - you may not have remembered but I literally stopped posting in the gym threads or stopped contributing - I had basically lost all interest. Diet was still good, but food intake and activity levels went, and I somehow dropped to way below 14st and even below 13.5st I think! Amazing isn't it?

Anyway... after "getting over it" I was determined not to let my injuries, and musing over my previous exploits and achievements (within the gym! ;)) deter me from getting back on track. It took MANY weeks, nay, months, to accept that I was just not going to be as strong as I was. So I thought to myself... Now's the time to nail my form, and to get myself solid, and sod being big. I wanted to be fit (CV wise) and powerful, but I no longer wanted to be blighted with injuries or painful pumps/DOMS that came about from just using raw power/strength in an uncontrolled manner.

So that was my journey back to nearly this time last year, if not a little later towards the summer.

I had to dig deep and accept that my lifts would be smaller - they were.
I had to dig deep and accept that my flexibility would be shoddy - it was.
I had to dig deep and accept that my strength would be irritatingly poor - it was.
I had to dig deep and accept that I looked flat and less impressive - I did (and although I'm not vain, it did bother me :o)
I had to dig deep and accept that I almost had to start from scratch - I almost had to.
I had to dig deep and accept that I had to do a lot of the exercises I just "didn't like" - single leg work, mobility work and vary my lifts to match certain cycles.
I had to dig deep and accept that my knowledge had become patchy - it had.
I had to dig deep and accept that I had to be patient - I am.

Now, my form is so much better. My flexibility is that of someone 1/2 my age. MY strength is almost back up to strength - I will be doing a 1RM sesh in a few weeks, but currently, 130kg bench, 220kg deads, 180kg squats, from just my training cycles - not pure 1RM tests. Ok so I'm 70kg short of my old totals, but my bench was mad, and I'm shy of 40kg in deads and squats combined - but that 40kg will come back in the next 6 months. Bearing in mind that before I got back into it, I was 190kg deads, 140kg squats, and 110kg bench my recovery is coming along nicely.

I'm back to around 14st 7lbs - 14st 10lbs (depending on day), my waist is down to 33", and my bodyfat % has dropped by just over 2%. So not only have I put on my weight I haven't added undue fat it seems.

Ok, so I'm not back to where I want to be, but I'm back to feeling powerful, my core strength is solid, my power is really starting to reach a rolling boil, and my strength keeps getting better at every mesocycle.

It's been a trying time - I shall spare you the personal strives of 2010, but that's where it all fell apart.

It IS hard to keep it up, and you can lose it, even someone like me has been through it. You DO get it back. You HAVE to dig deep. You have to BELIEVE in yourself, and you have GOT to WANT it.

We all falter, we all get injured and have our own issues in life. However, there's nothing stopping you from achieving what you want to achieve, don't let anyone tell you otherwise or let anything get in your way.

Here endeth the lesson.

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Good work FF. What you have found out now, the same as I have, is that form/mobility actually unlock more potential. Raw power is OK, but lifting smart is much much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom