• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Great read FF, I'm currently on my second round of it all.

Starting from scratch again. Quite odd, that people I barely knew in the gym the past few years are all very encouraging lately. :D

Man of Honour
I knew it at the time, and was always a stickler for form, but I let it go for the sake of getting "stronger" and "bigger" etc...

Now, because I had gone full circle, lost a lot of mass and strength, I had nothing to lose, and so decided to research and look into it more carefully. Which coincided nicely with ice coming along the scene! :D

I just felt like doing a brain dump as 2010 was a **** year, and from summer 2011 from a personal level things were on the up, but from the start of 2011, my gym attitude had changed. And by summer 2011, my gym style and goals had completely changed.

I guess it's to help people like Delvis, Nightmare and others that have had obstacles and **** to deal with in their lives that if your shroud yourself in negativity you get nowhere. I got rid of the negative aspects of my life in 2010. Let myself bring 2011 in peace. And turned a new leaf. By the summer last year I was looking and feeling better.

33155772.jpg

Just for proof.

I think big things will happen this year. :)

Caporegime
Hear hear. Also in same boat (though have never been as much of a beast :p) also with shoulder injury, other commitments and a shocking wake up call about posture in general. I dropped to a low point Xmas '10, when I was diagnosed with impingement syndrome - something that isn't a "snap" injury, but a result of long term neglect.

By summer 2011 I decided enough was enough and that I needed to grow up. I gave up smoking (last cigarette was 6th June 2011) and needed to hit the CV work as well as mobility.

Unfortunately, I've gained a lot of weight since giving up smoking. And complicated by other personal matters persistently interrupting any semblance of a training and diet routines, the weight has so far been very stubborn.

But I'm not letting it get to me. I'm still motivated, enthusiastic and determined to get in to the gym when I can. I have physio sessions to help my lordosis/kephosis/ATP (physio can't decide/determine which I have).

I will not stop :)

Soldato
Very honest there and very strong for getting yourself out of the dark place you were in Freefaller; sometimes a break is great just to remember who you are and what you want to do. The Human spirit and it's grit and determination can almost make mountains move if you see what I mean.

When I was less consistent, I would find that sometimes a few weeks would pass with no work at the gym, and sometimes this break would make my lifts stronger but other times it would actually make things worse. No real excuse though in my case, just not in the mindset.

Today I did some Chest and Triceps work, I went a little ballistic unfortunately though (sorry guys), form was very good though:

Oly Bench Press - in place of Incline as I have been doing inclines for a while:

60kgx8, 60kgx8, 60kgx8 and just for fun, 1RM @ 80kg, 1RM @ 80kg (quite pathetic really, but I've been meaning to give this a try).

BW Dips: +5kg x12, +10kg x8, +15kg x8.

Suspended rope work: Elevated pressups - 3 sets of 8.

Fixed Barbell CGBP : 45kgx8, 45kgx8, 45kgx8.

Rope Pushdowns: 24kgx6, 21kgx8

Cable Crossover: I did these in place of flys, just for a change, 2 sets of 8, @10kg per side.

9kg Medicine Ball Crunch throw Two sets of these, as fast as possible. I think I managed 12 first time and 8 the second time, but it's a little ab work.

Rowing machine: 5 mins worth, bit of HIIT but I was quite tired at this point.

Then Steam Room and Shower.

Not a completely shocking work out and a little varied from last time. I intentionally dropped the weight by 5kg on the Fixed Barbell CGBP because of the other work I did, then I realised it was too light...but the Fixed Barbells don't go any higher than this. Wanted to do some core work, so the pressups and medicine ball seemed like a good idea at the time. A bit annoyed that I didn't manage 8 on the rope pushdowns though.

I'm currently 77kg, so no weight gains as of late.

Have I completely wrecked the workout though I wonder?

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There's a lot I can relate to in that post FF! It kind of indirectly sums up why I have loads of respect for people who train hard, or are trying to train hard through an injury. I don't think I've met a person who trains hard that I didn't admire in some way. Sometimes training hard can mean taking a step back and pushing yourself in a strange direction for a while - in fact that can be the hardest.

For me, the gym has become an unrelenting struggle, but in a completely positive way; it's a place where I can go to beat the **** out of my mind and body in the hope of getting from A to B, even if the route is sometimes extremely convoluted! Progress can be infinitesimal, but there is always some, even if other things might not be going so well for whatever reason.

Oh and my joining the scene was no coincidence FF, I was sent from the gym to annoy and berate you ;)

Today was a good example of a session that almost beat me to a pulp. Abs were still sore from mondays chain rollouts (seriously!), adductors were a little tight, and my shoulders have been ripped to shreds by the quantity of squatting with non-ideal bars. Time under the bar was literally agony! Then I had to bench, which rested my legs but not the backs of my shoulders! However, still got it done :cool:

Squats
5x7x162.5kg

Bench
7x5x100kg

Since leaving the gym: many, many carbs

Man of Honour
Oh and to redress the balance of open soul searching and brain dumping posts... This is what I had to contend with yesterday.

I wanted to use the squat rack for squatting! What was I thinking :rolleyes:

I did make myself quite vocal about it and the guy soon got the hint. I did get "the rage" :o

J.T

J.T

Soldato
Oh and to redress the balance of open soul searching and brain dumping posts... This is what I had to contend with yesterday.

I did make myself quite vocal about it and the guy soon got the hint. I did get "the rage" :o

I often do this, curl in the squat rack I mean.......reason being I am the only guy in our Gym that actually squats so if I'm not in the squat rack squatting I know its free! :D

Soldato
Overhead press last night for the first time in about 5/6 weeks, and now 7lb lighter, was happy to manage;

- Bar x 20
- 40kg x 12
- 60kg x 8
- 70kg x 7
- 75kg x 5
- cheeky 85kg attempt x 0 :p

Then rest of workout.

Associate

Happened to me recently, guy was so obstinant he wouldn't move even after I asked politely / hinted loudly after. Ridiculous considering we have a 6" olympic bar which no one uses and an EZ curl too. He cheat curled every rep as well which made it even more painful.

More annoyingly recently has been my friends actually telling me off for doing very little direct arm work. Que them doing an arms workout every week which consists of a 2-3 tricep exercises followed by 40 minutes of biceps and doing legs once every few weeks.

TommyV - nice lifts. Have to say I think OHP is my second favourite to deadlift. Prefer it to bench (though I obviously do both) but I never see anyone doing it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good post FF! I had to dig deep after my accident too!

Rubbish workout yesterday, started with 100kg DL, but stopped after 3 reps, my form was not feeling right at all, doing something wrong, so dropped the weight right down, 60kg and was just trying to work on my form, still did not feel right though, didn't feel like this last week, I have been reading plenty on it and watching youtube videos so I'm not sure if I was just over thinking everything... check me video and see what I am doing wrong :/
actually after watching this I think I need to push my knees forward more and my hips down... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I

To make the workout even worse the girlfriend fainted on the treadmill! I come back after grabbing more weight to see a big commotion behind me, and notice its Nicola on the deck! She had just done a run, saw her shoelace was coming undone, paused the machine, tied shoelace got back up and had a massive headrush as expected and blacked out!

Soldato
Did a total Delvis (sorry D :p) this morning on flat bench. Back up to my 5RM from pre-stronglifts and feeling good, no real problems apart from the very last rep of the very last set. Got stuck about 2 inches from lockout but only on my left. My shoulder decides 'Hey I can help with this!' and wham my left shoulder rolled forward completely , scap completely flared and gave me that extra 2 inches. Happened enitrely subconsciously and at the speed of light, now my left shoulder feels kind of hollow and just weak.

Bloody annoying as I was just getting good momentum with SL, will see how it is after the weekend but if it's no better gonna take a week off. Don't wanna risk it especially with OHP on Monday.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Looks like you're not using the glutes properly which is probably due to technique off the floor.

Imagine the bar is immovable, and you actually have to push the floor away from the bar. The only way to achieve this is to push down hard with your feet. In this imaginary scenario, no amount of pulling on the bar with your back will move the floor away.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Putting together a better diet that I'm going to trail run next week. The idea is to eat more wholefoods and not rely on shakes so much. I still have 1 scoop of whey for breakfast and 1 post workout.

Quite daunting amount of food and a lot of work to prepare.

diet_v5.png

I'm also hoping it will help others who need some guidance with what to eat, and how much is needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom