• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Have you guys got any tips on how to 'encourage' my gym to invest in a squat rack/power rack whatever. I joined before I understood free weights properly (benefits, pool and steam room suites! 6 month contract) so didn't spot the evil smith machines hogging where the squat rack should be. Has anybody here successfully converted a fail gym? If I draft a letter to the money spender what can I say?

Soldato
Have you guys got any tips on how to 'encourage' my gym to invest in a squat rack/power rack whatever. I joined before I understood free weights properly (benefits, pool and steam room suites! 6 month contract) so didn't spot the evil smith machines hogging where the squat rack should be. Has anybody here successfully converted a fail gym? If I draft a letter to the money spender what can I say?

I kept talking to the people working there, and after a while others interested did the same.

Took a 3 years before they got rid of the smiths though.
It's still okay for squats as long as it's not got an angle to the bar's path of travel.

Associate
I kept talking to the people working there, and after a while others interested did the same.

It's still okay for squats as long as it's not got an angle to the bar's path of travel.

Cannot accept.

Last edited:
Associate
Loving the patch FF :).

I'm am officially cream crackered. Today I've coached for 5 hours from 8:30, had an hour and a half round trip to get my hair cut :)D), been to the gym for just under an hour and also done about two hours of gymnastics stuff.

I'm pooped :p.

Feel really good though :), also have some tasty snacks lined up for this evening :cool:.

Has anyone got any decent, not too pricey skipping roped they can recommend? It has been working wonders for my calve and ankles.

Man of Honour
Longest and most horrible gym session ever!

Smolov squats:
7x5x167.5kg

Felt horrible! Every set was painful, apart from the fourth which was completely fine and also easy :confused: It was mostly just pushing through DOMS, but ALL OVER my legs :D Slight twinge in my right adductor/hamstring proximal insertion, possibly related to what floored me a few weeks ago. I'm going to rest a day and do 10x3 on monday to let it recover.

Smolov Jr Bench (8x4):
Before I started I was already hating life. Pro-tip, don't smolov two exercises at the same time. Who would have guessed?

6x4x105kg - bugger! Wrong weight!!! :mad::mad::mad:
3x4x110kg

****! Got confused between my weeks :( I contemplated doing even more 110kg sets, but I was quite frankly sick of the gym. And hungry. Benching was strong though, to the extent that I could have done a lot more 110kg sets. I'm getting the hang of the narrower benches. I'm still on for 10x3 tomorrow, but I might do the other 5x4x110kg sets on tuesday, just to make me feel better.

Edit: I've made the decision to stop cutting while I'm doing smolov, as it's probably a recipe for disaster. Last weigh in I was around 86kg, which I hope not to be too much over in a few weeks.

It's looking like I'll be doing a comp in June, so plenty of time to get down to 83kg.

Last edited:
Associate
Longest and most horrible gym session ever!

Smolov squats:
7x5x167.5kg

Felt horrible! Every set was painful, apart from the fourth which was completely fine and also easy :confused: It was mostly just pushing through DOMS, but ALL OVER my legs :D Slight twinge in my right adductor/hamstring proximal insertion, possibly related to what floored me a few weeks ago. I'm going to rest a day and do 10x3 on monday to let it recover.

I know that DOMS feel. DOMS in places I've never experienced DOMS. :D I find the 4x9 day the hardest, just not used to these reps.

I'm actually really enjoying it now, I think something's wrong with me. I reckon I'll run the base mesocycle again after a couple of weeks off. Should be interesting, but I want a 200kg squat this year. Wife wants abs though...

Edit: I've made the decision to stop cutting while I'm doing smolov, as it's probably a recipe for disaster. Last weigh in I was around 86kg, which I hope not to be too much over in a few weeks.

It's looking like I'll be doing a comp in June, so plenty of time to get down to 83kg.

You eeeeejit... cutting during Smolov? The actual ****? :D

Man of Honour
:D

Yep, don't know what I was thinking! I certainly don't enjoy smolov yet, but smolov jr has been good fun. It'll be weird not benching, but it means I'll get to work on my overhead for a few weeks.

200kg seems like it's easily do-able from where you are now. However, squats first, then your wife can get abs.

Soldato

Negative sir, there is an angle on the bar, besides I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I am not at the point of needing a cage he so I will get my petitioning hat on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom