• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Lat pull down machine can also be (ab)used. Else put two heavy DBs on the backs of you ankles and start flat on floor. Get inventive.. plenty of vids on YT when searching for "glute hamstring raise" turn up with all kinds of equipment/lack of.

Haha, I'd love to be able to lift the dumbbells in the first place :D

Soldato
Thought about doing squats first? Pull-ups first will just sap energy from your squat performance.

I assume your on some kind of full body routine as well?

Also have you considered doing seated rows instead of DB rows as this may stop a little extra pump on your lower back after your squats and before your press.

I just decided to start a two way split instead of four, concentrating on just the bigger exercises. Here is what I did yesterday:

DB Bench 5 * 20s 5 * 22.5s 5 * 22.5s 5 * 22.5s 5 * 22.5s
DL 5 * 80 5 * 80 5 * 90 5 * 100 5 * 100
BB Incline Bench 5 * 35 5 * 35 5 * 37.5 5 * 37.5 5 * 40
DB Shrugs 8 * 22.5 8 * 25 5 * 30 12 * 25 10 * 25

If I were to do pullups anything other than first then I wouldn't be able to do the few that I do already. As it is my form isn't great. I'm still fairly pleased with my squat performance, so I don't think I will change that.

Good idea with the rows. Sadly there are no machines in my gym though, so seated rows are out. I might do press before rows next time instead.

Thanks for the input :)

Caporegime
Haha, I'd love to be able to lift the dumbbells in the first place :D

I was going to bodge a bar at the bottom of one of these the other day: Squat rack

ie put a loaded barbell on the floor behind the upright...With enough weight on it it won't budge. Naturally you need to put the weight on the bar in the first place, so it's probably not a good idea in your case.

This is one performed on a Lat machine:

Soldato
put a loaded barbell on the floor behind the upright...With enough weight on it it won't budge. Naturally you need to put the weight on the bar in the first place.

Actually this is a really good idea, and I am sure that using 10 plates would be enough you might have to throw on 4 each side but only having to deal with one plate at a time so shouldn't be a problem for nightmare. Good call devlis

Soldato
I was going to bodge a bar at the bottom of one of these the other day: Squat rack

ie put a loaded barbell on the floor behind the upright...With enough weight on it it won't budge. Naturally you need to put the weight on the bar in the first place, so it's probably not a good idea in your case.

This is one performed on a Lat machine:

Actually this is a really good idea, and I am sure that using 10 plates would be enough you might have to throw on 4 each side but only having to deal with one plate at a time so shouldn't be a problem for nightmare. Good call devlis

Some very interesting ideas. We're not allowed to move the bars from their places but I'll see if I can snatch one away.

Or try that lat pull down one. :D

Soldato
SWEET chest session tonight, the energy came out of nowhere, no idea where from considering i'm roughly 7lb lighter than a month ago :D

BB Bench - 60kgx15 | 100kgx8 | 115kgx8 | 130kgx6 | 150kgx1 | 155kgx1 (unspotted) NEW PB! - I reckon a proper 1RM session will see 160kg.
Incline DB - 40kg DB's x8 | 44kg DB's x 8 | 48kg DB's x8
Wide gripped dips - 3x20xBW
Cable flys - 3x8x21.5kg each side upto 26.25kg each side
Tri Work - Push downs | SC's w/ CGBP | Cable kicks

Felt great!! Haven't drunk in a few weekends, and feeling a lot better for it!

Last edited:
Soldato
Tweaked my back doing - wait for it - LEG PRESS last night o.O Trying to bring my knees in to my chest, pushing my knees out and WHOOSH, ass slips down the seat an inch or two,so took the load on my lower lumber. Sharp pain all night, and mixed with the onset of man flu, I was in bed at 9pm last night.

Feeling much better today thankfully, so onwards for cardio and abs tonight. Man flu is still a female dog though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom