• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Is it best to build up the weight through the sets then?

I'm going to deadlift 65kg today, did 60kg last week.

Do I just start at 65kg and try and do 3x8 or do I do one set of 60 first?

I'm guessing I should start off at 65kg and if I find form faltering then I should lower it to 60? Doubt I will need to though. :cool:

Basically when trying a weight for the first time should one just go straight into it after warm up?

I reckon you'd be alright, as you're not going for a 1RM but working sets, it's only a 5kg difference, you'll be fine mate! Good luck!

Caporegime
Sorry Delvis can you elaborate here mate?

Erm, ?Hard to explain, on some videos I've seen they say to put weight over on to your traps so your chest is up....? I dunno :p

Speaking of leg press it's my legs day today.

Going to try some glute ham raises as well if I can jimmy rig something.

Try and get a pic of the gym or something, we may be able to help :)

I'm guessing I should start off at 65kg and if I find form faltering then I should lower it to 60? Doubt I will need to though. :cool:

Basically when trying a weight for the first time should one just go straight into it after warm up?

If you want a working set of 3 x 8 x 65KG, I would work up to it, rather than jump straight in at 65KG, unless of course you have warmed up enough.

If you can't be bothered to faff with the weights much, at least do 1 set at 60KG.

That's me anyway

EDIT: Going by how you shifted the 60KG easy enough last week, you won't have any issues moving the weight, it's just making sure you're warmed up enough

Soldato

I guess it depends if you are working at your max or not. I doubt very much that 60 or 65 is your max, so just warm up and go for 65.

I have found my working weight at last and it's 100kg. So I will warm up with 60 then go straight to 100kg.

Personally I think if you can do 3*8 of 65kg after doing 8 reps of 60kg, then you need to turn the weight up, because that is basically 4 working sets.

Last edited:
Soldato
Traps on chest? Really basically understanding I work on is that traps are a "pulling" muscle. Ain't no pulling in (chest) pressing :p

He didn't say anything about using the traps. Just putting weight on them... i.e. arching your back to limit your range of motion like one would do when competing...

Soldato
Ahh, that old chestnut. No Tommy doesn't do that, as he only has enough of an arch to slip his hand under his lower back. That technique is fine for competitions, but for activating the pecs during working sets, no no no :)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Tommy I see what your saying about not wanting to bounce, but if you can stop the bar at 1/2" you can also stop it on your chest ;)

I touch my chest and go.

Soldato
He didn't say anything about using the traps. Just putting weight on them... i.e. arching your back to limit your range of motion like one would do when competing...

No I don't arch that much but I see what is meant.

i.e. Olympic form which I think delvis is asking about.
image001.jpg

Soldato
I think that the current olympic lifts are probably more interesting to watch than powerlifts though. Much more drama with weights flying around and people falling over, rather than fine nuances in form. Failing a snatch is much more dramatic than failing a deadlift for example...

Soldato
With zero understanding of either, olympic lifting is definitely more interesting to watch.

(I have some understanding of powerlifting and none of olympic lifting and I find olympic lifts more interesting).

Soldato
The odd thing about the olympic weight lifting is just how lacking the American team is.

Their powerlifting is some of the worlds best, yet their olympic trainers mostly focus just on technique and neglect strength training as much.

It's a pity really as many of those chaps are amazingly strong and be even stronger.

Caporegime
Traps on chest? Really basically understanding I work on is that traps are a "pulling" muscle. Ain't no pulling in (chest) pressing :p

Haha, you plonker :p

Didn't mean it like that...Couldn't explain it properly

Ahh, that old chestnut. No Tommy doesn't do that, as he only has enough of an arch to slip his hand under his lower back. That technique is fine for competitions, but for activating the pecs during working sets, no no no :)

Yeah that...

And thank you :)

No I don't arch that much but I see what is meant.

i.e. Olympic form which I think delvis is asking about.
image001.jpg

Therrrrrrrrrre we go...I'll have to have a play tonight

I WISH bench was in the olympics :(

I wish brocep curls where i the Olympics :cool:

As a side note, does anyone know when the weight comps are on?

Man of Honour
I use to be as I recall, the same as the clean and press.

But there were issues. I know with the press judges hard a hard time deciding between if it was a push press or press. So they dropped it.
Yeah I think you're right; I think bending over backwards was a problem too.
With zero understanding of either, olympic lifting is definitely more interesting to watch.

(I have some understanding of powerlifting and none of olympic lifting and I find olympic lifts more interesting).
I think olympic lifting is more accessible to people who aren't involved in the sport. It's also just obviously awesome.

Powerlifting is pretty confusing to the outside. How is someone meant to know the difference between unequipped, single ply equipped and multiply equipped? Then there's American feds and their creative interpretation of squatting to parallel... it's all a bit of a mess.

The odd thing about the olympic weight lifting is just how lacking the American team is.

Their powerlifting is some of the worlds best, yet their olympic trainers mostly focus just on technique and neglect strength training as much.

It's a pity really as many of those chaps are amazingly strong and be even stronger.
Also, Bros Gym being full of PEDs doesn't help matters. I mean, obviously it does, but not when you get caught :p

Associate
Is there some kind of measurement of strength per bodyweight or something?

Like for deadlifts, what's a good amount to lift relative to your bodyweight?

2/3 x bodyweight?

I'm almost done with my cut for summer. Dropped 16 pounds of fat, went from 17% bodyfat to 10% currently. Trying to get to 8% then going to start a long term bulk at about 300-500 calories above maintenance to limit fat gain. Cause last time I ate way too much (about 4k calories a day) and put on a lot of fat!

But I haven't lost any strength during this cut. I can deadlift 100kg still at 56kg bodyweight which isn't too bad but then again I've always been horribly weak for my size (5'7 too).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom