• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Right. Todays session was:

Deads (****ing killed me :o)
Chest dips (only managed 3x4 - found it really hard to do just negatives too)
Neg chins (grip was dying at this point, forearms were bursting)
OHP (cream crackered by this point)
Shrugs (just to rub salt in the wounds)
Warmdown and very,very slow walk out of gym :o

Vids - not sure if I'm deadlifting OK so I basically stopped when I was tired (meant I didn't hit 8 reps but I thought better to be safe than sorry! Especially whilst I'm getting used to lifting 'heavy')

First set @ 65 http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=65kg1stset1.mp4

Second @ 65 http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=65kg2ndset.mp4

Third @ 65 http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=65kg3rdset.mp4

30kg OHP, final set http://s896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/ilikecheesepoo/?action=view&current=30kgohplastset.mp4
1st set: You're doing a "double movement" deadlift. First, you're lifting your hips up, then you're bringing your hips through. It needs to be all one movement, so your hips only come up as fast as the bar does and your hips are coming through from the beginning.

2nd set: Better.

3rd set: Much worse. You're initiating the lift by bending your lower back. You are going to break yourself like this.

Stop doing 8 reps, stick to 5 at most. You also need to be a lot stricter with yourself, it's up to you to force your legs to do the work and keep your hips down.

Your OHP looks fine.

Have you seen the form thread?

I really enjoy that documentary movie, it really does show just to what extremes some people will go to as well. Such as going to mexico, special doctors that treat for "low" testosterone and "beauty" doctors.

Yup, even the people that do sports here and their trainers don't even know what powerlifting is. I still remember the one rugby coach trying tell me that my squats are wrong because a wide stance and getting to and below parallel and terribly bad for your knees and legs. :rolleyes:

He did the same a week later when he said that you're not supposed to bring the bar close to your chest on a benchpress because it's not good either. :rolleyes:

To think this guy is employed by a college and teaches athletes/students, which then go on to teach other the same things.
This is a huge problem, but it isn't going to go away for years.

Soldato
The internets tells me you are supposed to start elbows in front on the OHP, which you don't appear to be doing.

I see. I shall have to have a look. Thanks! Didn't even occur to me, was in a bit of a state at that point :D Tried to do a final final set but I couldn't even muster the energy to lift the bar steward off the rack :o

Looks good sigma. Just be mindful of your chest dropping a bit as you begin the movement.

You don't think the back is moving too early? I can certainly feel it.Perhaps that is just the body getting used to it.

I know I made a comment about your deadlift videos but I didn't appreciate just how much concentration goes into it when the weight starts increasing!

I seem to have stopped using my quads to roll the bar onto on the way down so that's progress. Will remember to keep chest up!

1st set: You're doing a "double movement" deadlift. First, you're lifting your hips up, then you're bringing your hips through. It needs to be all one movement, so your hips only come up as fast as the bar does and your hips are coming through from the beginning.

2nd set: Better.

3rd set: Much worse. You're initiating the lift by bending your lower back. You are going to break yourself like this.

Stop doing 8 reps, stick to 5 at most. You also need to be a lot stricter with yourself, it's up to you to force your legs to do the work and keep your hips down.

Your OHP looks fine.

Have you seen the form thread?

:eek:

Yeah I have seen the thread.

Should I stick with 65kg or lower? Don't want to break back :(

I shall try to be stricter with myself, I think perhaps I try to rush things?

Edit - actually, what you're saying is that it's me, not the weight that is causing the problem.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
:eek:

Yeah I have seen the thread.

Should I stick with 65kg or lower? Don't want to break back :(

I shall try to be stricter with myself, I think perhaps I try to rush things?

Edit - actually, what you're saying is that it's me, not the weight that is causing the problem.
You clearly can do that weight, the fact that some of your reps are perfect illustrates this, but as you're fatiguing you're not able to focus on it. It makes the beginning of the lift seem easier to let your hips come up, and at your level it requires focus to keep your core tight and back straight.

Reduce the reps, maybe even do triples until your get stronger and learn to control your core better.

Look at the video Dom posted on this page, it's exactly the kind of thing that would help you.

What other core work do you do?

Soldato
You clearly can do that weight, the fact that some of your reps are perfect illustrates this, but as you're fatiguing you're not able to focus on it. It makes the beginning of the lift seem easier to let your hips come up, and at your level it requires focus to keep your core tight and back straight.

Reduce the reps, maybe even do triples until your get stronger and learn to control your core better.

Look at the video Dom posted on this page, it's exactly the kind of thing that would help you.

What other core work do you do?

I shall have a look at that video later!

Apart from other compounds the only core work I am trying to do are planks but that's about it. I must admit, I haven't done any for a while though :o

Thanks for the advice.

Caporegime
I shall have a look at that video!

Apart from other compounds the only core work I am trying to do are planks but that's about it. I must admit, I haven't done any for a while though :o

Planks planks planks!!!!

That and make sure you actively brace your core for every lift, it'll get work that way as well

Caporegime
I shall have a look at that video later!

Thanks for the advice.

Hanging leg raises are my fav, get to 15+ and then start doing them weighted. Very tricky to begin with you'll swing about like a friking monkey but try to concentrate on stabalising the core to stop that lift up nice and slow and back down slow.

I acctually find it easier with a weight.

Man of Honour
Hanging leg raises are my fav, get to 15+ and then start doing them weighted. Very tricky to begin with you'll swing about like a friking monkey but try to concentrate on stabalising the core to stop that lift up nice and slow and back down slow.

I acctually find it easier with a weight.
If it's easier with weight, I'm going to suggest that you're doing it wrong ;)
I just use a dumbell, between my feet. Weighting to drop it on my nuts one day :eek::p
You really shouldn't need to add weight...

LiE, dragon flags are going to be impossible for a beginner :p

Soldato
Too many posts to quote but:

I have done hanging leg raises before; brutal isn't the word! Will have to try and do them off the bar I have at home.

Reverse crunches; was watching the video in the form thread earlier, I shall try and see what I can do.

Dragon flys; think I'll fly the **** away from them for now :p

I can feel my back starting to stiffen up a bit. Going to need to stretch it out further I think.

Can I use a cricket ball instead of a lacrosse ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom