• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Noted.

Certainly not near my 1rm - I think that is north of 90kg.

Last week I went, 40, 50, 60 and by the last few reps of 60 I was pretty damn tired!

Will start at 65 and see what happens :cool: Thanks.

make sure you warm up at least

i would do a few reps of bar just to get you loose, then 2-3 sets of 3-5 reps maybe as follows

bar x5 40x3-5 50x3 65x6-8 65x6-8 65x6-8

aim for 8 but dont be disappointed with 6+ form is what your wanting here and so dont let it slip to much.

the reason for the warmup sets is to remind you what the weight is like, building you up to your working weghts.

GL buddy i am sure you will smash these

Therrrrrrrrrre we go...I'll have to have a play tonight

I wouldnt bud! not after the issues you have had with your back, stick to benching with just the slightest of arches in your back, and non at all if you can. At the weights your lifting while getting back in to the swing the back arching will at little to the lift, just looking out for you!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I think you're right; I think bending over backwards was a problem too.

I think olympic lifting is more accessible to people who aren't involved in the sport. It's also just obviously awesome.

Powerlifting is pretty confusing to the outside. How is someone meant to know the difference between unequipped, single ply equipped and multiply equipped? Then there's American feds and their creative interpretation of squatting to parallel... it's all a bit of a mess.

Also, Bros Gym being full of PEDs doesn't help matters. I mean, obviously it does, but not when you get caught :p

Hmm bending backwards would probably be the cuplrit as it allows a smaller range of motion, but heavier loads.

All very true, specially the PEDs. Have you seen Bigger Stronger Faster?
I loved the interview with the with the guy that worked in the US olympics Think it was the medical area he was in, and the rampant use of "supplements".

Also your point about power lifting being confusing is dead on, hell most people think strongmen, olympic lifters and powerlifting are the same. Some even think bodybuilding and the above is the same.

Caporegime
I wouldnt bud! not after the issues you have had with your back, stick to benching with just the slightest of arches in your back, and non at all if you can. At the weights your lifting while getting back in to the swing the back arching will at little to the lift, just looking out for you!

Hehe! I'm not doing it like that :)

I mean I'm going to play with the amount of space under my back, so theres less pressure.

Currently flat Bench sometimes niggles my back due to the pressure on the lower back :)

Prefer Inc. DB Press anyway :o

Caporegime
Mind over matter my friend, I clearly remember my first 100kg squat and it was daunting, next session only 2 days later was 102.5 kg and I smashed it! You can do it :)

I know its all in the head! Its irritating as I've lifted 120+ before, I just had my friend there who was squatting stupid amounts and was showing my how to correct my form and kept telling me off for lifting too little and pretty much made me do it. More to prove to me that I can do it.

I reckon if he was still around I would be lifting a LOT more by now. NO EXCUSES.

Man of Honour

There you go chaps, just helped you get stronger and avoid injury :).
That's awesome!
Hmm bending backwards would probably be the cuplrit as it allows a smaller range of motion, but heavier loads.

All very true, specially the PEDs. Have you seen Bigger Stronger Faster?
I loved the interview with the with the guy that worked in the US olympics Think it was the medical area he was in, and the rampant use of "supplements".

Also your point about power lifting being confusing is dead on, hell most people think strongmen, olympic lifters and powerlifting are the same. Some even think bodybuilding and the above is the same.
Bigger Stronger Faster is great, kind of eye opening.

I think the entire culture of PEDs in sports is a massive shame, it's just cheating. Untested powerlifting feds exist because a lot of people got caught...

I don't think I've met anyone "off the street" who knows what powerlifting is, and most people in the gym don't have a clue either. Some of the trainers couldn't even tell you the difference between Olympic and Power lifting.

Soldato
Right. Todays session was:

Deads (****ing killed me :o)
Chest dips (only managed 3x4 - found it really hard to do just negatives too)
Neg chins (grip was dying at this point, forearms were bursting)
OHP (cream crackered by this point)
Shrugs (just to rub salt in the wounds)
Warmdown and very,very slow walk out of gym :o

Vids - not sure if I'm deadlifting OK so I basically stopped when I was tired (meant I didn't hit 8 reps but I thought better to be safe than sorry! Especially whilst I'm getting used to lifting 'heavy')

Last edited:
Soldato
Bigger Stronger Faster is great, kind of eye opening.

I think the entire culture of PEDs in sports is a massive shame, it's just cheating. Untested powerlifting feds exist because a lot of people got caught...

I don't think I've met anyone "off the street" who knows what powerlifting is, and most people in the gym don't have a clue either. Some of the trainers couldn't even tell you the difference between Olympic and Power lifting.

I really enjoy that documentary movie, it really does show just to what extremes some people will go to as well. Such as going to mexico, special doctors that treat for "low" testosterone and "beauty" doctors.

Yup, even the people that do sports here and their trainers don't even know what powerlifting is. I still remember the one rugby coach trying tell me that my squats are wrong because a wide stance and getting to and below parallel and terribly bad for your knees and legs. :rolleyes:

He did the same a week later when he said that you're not supposed to bring the bar close to your chest on a benchpress because it's not good either. :rolleyes:

To think this guy is employed by a college and teaches athletes/students, which then go on to teach other the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom