• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I would be very interested to see videos of people's "interpretation" of hanging leg raises as I fear there's to much talk of them being easy for people to be doing them right.

Sigma, try laying leg raises and work up to hanging. Accompanied with planks I am pretty sure that will suffice for now.

A more advanced core exercise is ab wheel roll outs, if you can afford £10 then get the 66fit one from amazon. You shouldn't need anything else as you can make all 3 core exercises harder with resistance bands/chains/weights, and more advanced versions of each.

As for the deadlifts I think ice has covered everything :)

Just out of interest Do you take the vids on your phone??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCI13rqqHj8

This

Associate
30/05/2012 - 45 minute session
4 legs
Treadmill 5 mins 5% incline 900m
Seated leg curl 8x4 40kg
leg press 8x4 80kg
leg extension 8x4 57.5kg
torso extension 8x4 57.5kg
leg press toe 8x4 60/70/70/80 (15 superset on last)

This was a good session as I increased everything by 5kg except leg extension by 2.5kg and torso extension by 2.5kg. I also went from 55kg on leg press as I was tired last time so changing the rotation obviously helped!

02/05/10 - 45 minute session
Rowing for 5 minutes
Incline bench 8x4 35kg
Bench 8x4 35kg
Incline flys 8x4 10kg
Decline bench 8x4 40kg
Straight arm chest pullover 8x4 10kg
Torso extension 8x4 60kg
Decline bench 8x4 40kg (Last set assisted) – left tricept too weak

This was a good session as I increased everything by 5kg except my decline bench and straight arm chest pullover but started on 10kg instead of 8 for 1st set! Think the decline was due to doing it last and being tired.

The guy spotting me told me to aim just under my chin at the very top of my chest and a fairly wider grip like index finger at the ring, and I did 6 and then my left tricep just completely lost power. Yes this was on decline

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just under your chin? On decline presumably?

Today was Chest day:

5 Mins on the bike
Bench Press:
1 x 10 x Bar
1 x 5 x 30Kg
3 x 10 x 40KG (+3 on final set)

Inc DB Bench:
3 x 12 x 10KG

Flys:
3 x 12 x 5KG (Decided to squeeze the DB's together at the top...Need to do this more often)

CGBP:
1 x 10 x Bar
2 x 12 x 25KG
1 x 16 x 25KG

A few Curls Y0!

Planks: (Well, one plank)
1 x 1 min :p

Will do some more Friday / or tomorrow instead

Soldato
Oh yes my gym got this in recently as they removed the GHR stuff to the sports gym.

947689d9.jpg

Actually rather good, means I can slowly work up again for each leg and my right glute certainly felt it all.

Also maxed out at 170kg on the legpress, I'm very happy about it. :D

Soldato
Had a chest and triceps day today:

BW Chest Dips: +10kgx8, +10kgx8, +10kgx8;
Oly Bench Press: 70kgx8, 70kgx8, 70kgx8;
2x10kg DB Flys: x8, x8;
Skullcrushers: 15kgx8 (fixed BB), 16.5kgx8 (EZ bar), 16.5kgx8 (EZ bar);
Rope Pushdowns: 21.25kgx8, 21.25kgx8.

For the next few weeks, I'm going to try Flat benches instead of inclines and Skullcrushers instead of CGBP, as I feel that these exercises have reached a plateau, although I'm not sure if that's such a good idea?

My triceps never felt so pumped as they did today though.

Although I've gone up 10kg over last time on the Oly bench press and the dips have been a lot more consistent, in fact, all my exercises have been a lot more consistent over last weeks, so I'm happy about that.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Caporegime
For the next few weeks, I'm going to try Flat benches instead of inclines and Skullcrushers instead of CGBP,

Could try French-Press? Sometimes Skull Crushers get to peoples elbows.

Also, I have no idea how people do that much weight on Flys sometimes, I presume 20KG is in each hand? Just feels like my shoulder is going to rip apart again :o

Soldato
Could try French-Press? Sometimes Skull Crushers get to peoples elbows.

Also, I have no idea how people do that much weight on Flys sometimes, I presume 20KG is in each hand? Just feels like my shoulder is going to rip apart again :o

Most people do partial reps. I saw someone today with 20kg dumbells and he barely brought them down before groaning to get them up again.
His arms were also bent a lot, almost looked like he was trying a dumbbell bench press, until I heard him and his friend talk about how savage flys are.

Caporegime
Most people do partial reps. I saw someone today with 20kg dumbells and he barely brought them down before groaning to get them up again.
His arms were also bent a lot, almost looked like he was trying a dumbbell bench press, until I heard him and his friend talk about how savage flys are.

Hehe, true.

I probably do mine a bit odd, any other way and my shoulder will snap in two

Soldato
Sorry, I should have said - 2x10kg on the db flys!!

The Cable machine is almost always full up, so I tend to just stick to the DB variant.

I'll have to look at the French presses. The skullcrushers were quite strange to do.

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Caporegime
How much are you drinking? What other changes have you made to diet?

As an example, cutting back on carbs will result in dog like urination patterns as your body stores excess soluble carbs in water - no carbs, no need to keep water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom