• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hey guys.

I have recently joined a gym, I weight about 12 stone but my body fat is relatively high. I have a bit of a belly on me but mainly chest fat (man boobs/Gynecomastia). Never been diagnosed with Gynecomastia so I am assuming it is just chest fat.

Do you have any recommendations of what I can do to lose this excess chest fat and get a body I can be proud of? List exercises, etc.

Thanks!

Soldato
Had a very disappointing work out today, plagued by the same grip problems as yesterday and just generally feeling very weak:

OLY DLs: 95kgx8, 110kgx8 (mixed grip), 110kgx8 (mixed grip);
BW Chins: +10kgx5, +5kgx5, BWx5; :(
OLY BOR: 60kgx8, 60kgx8, 60kgx8;
Seated Rows: 50kgx8, 50kgx8, 50kgx8;
Standing DB Curls: 2x16kgx8, 20kgx8 (fixed barbell), 20kgx8 (fixed barbell).

I have no idea what went wrong with Chins, I think I must have worn myself out with the Deadlifts. I can usually do 8 reps with 10kg plate.

My grip was appalling, it started to be an issue on my 1st set, but I managed to keep it strong for the set, but never have my callouses been so painful and interfering like they were today. I used to easily be able to do 95kg without worring about my grip.

Plus I'm very stubborn, so I forced my way through the grip pain because I wasn't going to allow it to stop me from completing my workout.

My biceps were absolutely shot before the DB curls - I just about did my 8 on each arm but when I did my fixed barbell sets, again, as previously, my grip felt painful and I almost dropped the weight on the last reps; due to the grip and due to my biceps being so nackered.

If I can ignore the awful chins and grip problems, I'm still not happy with this workout. Its funny, there is no blood and hardly any skin peeling, but my callouses are still painful. I have two rest days before I do my shoulders on Monday, so hopefully that will suffice and by grip improves. :mad:

Kind regards,

David

Soldato
Hey guys.

I have recently joined a gym, I weight about 12 stone but my body fat is relatively high. I have a bit of a belly on me but mainly chest fat (man boobs/Gynecomastia). Never been diagnosed with Gynecomastia so I am assuming it is just chest fat.

Do you have any recommendations of what I can do to lose this excess chest fat and get a body I can be proud of? List exercises, etc.

Thanks!

I would recommend some CV work first of all and a good diet plan - definitely worth seeing if there is a nutritionist at the gym.

Do a little bit of machine work for now - 12-15 reps and 1-2 muscle groups each session, i.e. Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Leg/Shoulders. Get into the habit of 15 mins of CV work after each workout, then get this up to 30 mins. See about 1 dedicated day of CV work as well, once you build up your endurance, something like 1-1.5 hours.

If you want to build pure strength, 5 reps 5 sets is good, for bulk 8 reps 3 sets and for endurance 12-15 reps should be good.

One you feel more confident, go onto the free-weights and start from there. I started on the machines to build my confidence up before going to free weights, but I'm no expert, and I'm sure the others on here are much better qualified than I am to advise you and they can correct any holes in my post here :)

Don't go mad and take it easy to avoid injury and to enjoy your workout better.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

David

Last edited:
Associate
I would recommend some CV work first of all and a good diet plan - definitely worth seeing if there is a nutritionist at the gym.

Do a little bit of machine work for now - 12-15 reps and 1-2 muscle groups each session, i.e. Chest/Triceps, Back/Biceps, Leg/Shoulders. Get into the habit of 15 mins of CV work after each workout, then get this up to 30 mins. See about 1 dedicated day of CV work as well, once you build up your endurance, something like 1-1.5 hours.

If you want to build pure strength, 5 reps 5 sets is good, for bulk 8 reps 3 sets and for endurance 12-15 reps should be good.

One you feel more confident, go onto the free-weights and start from there. I started on the machines to build my confidence up before going to free weights, but I'm no expert, and I'm sure the others on here are much better qualified than I am to advise you and they can correct any holes in my post here :)

Don't go mad and take it easy to avoid injury and to enjoy your workout better.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

David

Thanks very much for the advice and I will take all that on board! It's gonna help tons.

My only worry is if I do have Gynecomastia. Not sure if there is anyway to tell but no amount of exercise will get rid of that right? When I press against my chest now I can feel obviously a lot of chest fat, I haven't done exercise in years and my diet is bad.

But I can also feel hardened muscle beneath the fat and it worries me that it feels like it isn't just the fat that make my chest stick out :S

Associate
Skip the machines straight to free weights. Get those stabiliser muscles working. Don't bother with huge cardio sessions when you're 12 stone and trying to look bigger. It sounds like you need to fill yourself out more than lose the fat.

Quick tips

Look in the mirror not at scales
Eat more
Lift heavy

Caporegime
Thanks very much for the advice and I will take all that on board! It's gonna help tons.

My only worry is if I do have Gynecomastia. Not sure if there is anyway to tell but no amount of exercise will get rid of that right? When I press against my chest now I can feel obviously a lot of chest fat, I haven't done exercise in years and my diet is bad.

But I can also feel hardened muscle beneath the fat and it worries me that it feels like it isn't just the fat that make my chest stick out :S

The bit in bold will not help matters :) I have a little bit of that as well, but until I get my BF levels down, I won't know.

If you are THAT worried about it, go see a doctor or two and get it clarified.

First port of call though, sort your diet out, without a decent, healthy stable diet, you are only going to put weight back on.

Associate
The bit in bold will not help matters :) I have a little bit of that as well, but until I get my BF levels down, I won't know.

If you are THAT worried about it, go see a doctor or two and get it clarified.

First port of call though, sort your diet out, without a decent, healthy stable diet, you are only going to put weight back on.

Thanks again man, the fitness instructor did tell me my bodyfat was very high so I am guessing that is gonna be a major factor and I just have to bring that right down. I am hitting the gym tomorrow afternoon so will get on that treadmill and run like a hamster lol. I am guessing swimming will help a lot as well?

Caporegime
Done some legs at gym tonight. Long way off being strong but will get back there.

Squats:
60x6
80x6
100x6
120x5
130x5
140x2x3
100x5x5

Will do some double at 150 next week and 110 5x5

Good mornings:
80x8x3

Some leg curls and calf work.

On to rack pulls and assorted back work on Sunday.

Soldato
Had a very disappointing work out today, plagued by the same grip problems as yesterday and just generally feeling very weak:
do you use chalk? I know it makes a difference with grip. I have also heard that it can help keep your hands in better condition. Not sure if this second bit is just an old wife's tail, but I've been shifting 100kg+ every week for the last 6 months and never had a callus tear, or ever really get that big!

Hey guys.

Thanks!

You can't target a body area to lose fat off, you really just need to fix your diet and fix a good routine. If your happy to get a couple of pics up in the pic thread and then people can see where your coming from.

I would assume you want to get in to weight lifting to help you achive a body to be proud of. I used the 3 day split routine from GordyR's thread in the stick at the top of this forum section. There are many other workouts you can consider.
Strong lifts 5x5 is good for beginners, starting strength (riptoe) or even a solid full body routine.

Dependant on goals, CV work is useful but possibly time consuming, consider hiit training as this seems to be better for burning fat.
the bit in bold I would argue with, there is defiantly enough knowledge on these boards that can set you up with a good diet! There is also a thread in the sticky about diet, macros, daily requirements, again very useful, and free.

Soldato
Thanks again man, the fitness instructor did tell me my bodyfat was very high so I am guessing that is gonna be a major factor and I just have to bring that right down. I am hitting the gym tomorrow afternoon so will get on that treadmill and run like a hamster lol. I am guessing swimming will help a lot as well?

How many times per week as you planning on going to the gym?

I think you should do as much if not more weight training than pure cardio. Assuming three days per week, one cardio day and two, weights days. If four do two and two. If two,days do 1 and 1...

The reasons for that are simple:

Doing weights burns calories, it's hard work! Especially the compound lifts (I find squats and deadlifts particularly tiring). So that helps you lose fat.

The more muscle tissue you have the more calories you will naturally burn each day.

Ultimately your goal isn't to be skinny is it? It's to have a physique right? Well then it makes sense to have some muscles under there!

Cardo is really boring if you ask me. So look into high intensity interval training. Some people really, like it. I find it more interesting than sitting on a bike for hours on end.

As for weights, don't be afraid to go for free weights. Just make sure you read about correct form, and watch some videos. I'm sure that someone can draw you up a plan of you post how often you will be going to the gm and for how long.

Lastly, and absolutely most importantly. Your diet is the most important thing for reaching your goals. You will get nowhere without a good diet.

Man of Honour
BOOOOOOOOOOYA kAHA,,,,,, YEAAAAAAAAAAH in your face.

Dead Lift since last time I posted here improved by 20Kg mother ****ers!

170Kg Dead lift x1
Chest now at 125Kg x1
Seq now at 130Kg x1

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOO haha, come again Sigma ? yeah the boss is back now i am in #20s list on this site.

FreeFaller, soon! you will be beaten.

Good luck with that. :)

Clearly when you do beat me, I presume you'll offer the videos so that I can be amazed. ;)

Soldato
I presume you'll offer the videos so that I can be amazed. ;)

I'd like to see some vids as well, watching some one deadlift shows loads.

Speaking of vids, I had a look at my very old 180kg and 190kg deadlift vids from 2 years ago.

God my form on the 190kg was ****, just shows that you're not supposed to do another pr deadlift a week after the last and at the end of your training.

Took me nearly a year to get that to 205kg with good form. Hate being stuck during a summer with a max of 155kg deadlifts thanks to the gym in down only having a 5foot olympic bar :mad:

Man of Honour
Yeah |I have a couple of vids of me doing 230 (never got my 240 done, it didn't work for some reason :().

Form's not great - lower back is relatively solid, but starts to round at the thoracic area - but I guess that's to be expected.

Also looked at my 200kg squat - not pretty.

Ah well, form's so much better now! :) Weight's aren't heavy, but they're getting back there.

Associate
How many times per week as you planning on going to the gym?

I think you should do as much if not more weight training than pure cardio. Assuming three days per week, one cardio day and two, weights days. If four do two and two. If two,days do 1 and 1...

The reasons for that are simple:

Doing weights burns calories, it's hard work! Especially the compound lifts (I find squats and deadlifts particularly tiring). So that helps you lose fat.

The more muscle tissue you have the more calories you will naturally burn each day.

Ultimately your goal isn't to be skinny is it? It's to have a physique right? Well then it makes sense to have some muscles under there!

Cardo is really boring if you ask me. So look into high intensity interval training. Some people really, like it. I find it more interesting than sitting on a bike for hours on end.

As for weights, don't be afraid to go for free weights. Just make sure you read about correct form, and watch some videos. I'm sure that someone can draw you up a plan of you post how often you will be going to the gm and for how long.

Lastly, and absolutely most importantly. Your diet is the most important thing for reaching your goals. You will get nowhere without a good diet.

I am looking at going 3 days a week. I am actually going today so today I think I will mostly look into cardio, treadmill and swimming. I may go onto a machine to work the chest and abs a bit but I don't wanna overdo it as this is only my first week of training and I'm feeling a little sore! But no pain no gain. :)

Thanks to every ones advice, it's really appreciated!

Caporegime
I am looking at going 3 days a week. I am actually going today so today I think I will mostly look into cardio, treadmill and swimming. I may go onto a machine to work the chest and abs a bit but I don't wanna overdo it as this is only my first week of training and I'm feeling a little sore! But no pain no gain. :)

Thanks to every ones advice, it's really appreciated!

So despite people telling you to use free weights and less cardio you're going to do more cardio and use machines?

Soldato
The point of working your abs at this stage is what? Get your bodyfat low enough and your abs will show, you don't need to be exercising them, certainly not right now. The best you'll do is add a little endurance to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom