*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Anyone spec me a good dumbell bench press video?

(with correct form) - at the moment I'm really trying to focus on the form of everything. Alternatively, any one particular guy on youtube who has most of the exercises up with correct form?

P.S. I really think Icecold should make a bunch of videos with correct form for all the common exercises :) *hint hint*

kd

Associate
I've started to watch my diet a lot closer than normal in a hope to put on a bit of muscle. I posted pics a few weeks ago, where I looked like an advert for oxfam.

I can bench press my weight+, squat 1.5x+ , deadlift 2x+: So it must be diet holding me back.

I never used to really eat breakfast, but im now doing:

A shake of Huricane xs first thing and a banana.
Eat a packet of milled oat biscuits mid morning.
Lunch is normally some salad with a chicken fillet, some feta cheese and milk.
Some nuts in the afternoon.
Oats with Cottage cheese preworkout (or a yogurt)
A shake of Hurricane xs after workout
Evening dinner of a curry with basamati brown rice, or some chicken with veg and sweet potatoe.

Weekends i may be a bit more relaxed.

Currently heading to the gym 3 nights, hockey training one night, hockey match on a saturday, and mountain biking on a Sunday.

I can see big gains already :D

Soldato
Good lift ratios there chucky!

Diet is looking good although using my best guess I'd say it's still lacking a little bit on the protein front. Personally I'd switch out Hurricane XS for standard whey next time you're ordering supplements and have 4 scoops of that a day split between two shakes.

Cottage cheese and milk is full fat yes?

One more thing, if you aren't already I'd start supplementing your omega 3 intake with some fish oils with the aim of hitting 2g EPA and 1.5g DHA every day.

Enjoy your gains!

Associate
I tried the GOMAD thing for a while - With full fat milk. It was giving me serious head aches, so i cut it down to 2 litres a day.

I've stopped with the full fat milk now. Although I want to fill out abit, im happy to accept slower progress in order to not put on excess fat.

I cycle competitively so dont want to be carrying weight for nothing up the hills!

Soldato
I've never been able to try GOMAD :( can't really handle more than a couple of pints a day.

I'd definitely switch back to full fat milk though, no reason not to. The dietary fat in it doesn't automatically get turned into stored lipids in your body. In fact, if you're consuming it with other foods the fat will actually help slow the absorption rate of nutrients, levelling your insulin response and result in less fat being stored.

Also fat is the most calorie dense macronutrient so it's perfect if you're going for a lean bulk.

Caporegime
Could really do with some advice here guys;

I have just started back in the gym, and of course doing deadlifts this will be my 3rd time doing it this year.

My back is in agony after just my warmup set! Worse than DOMS, even walking about it is horrible. I am very catious about poor form and doubt it is, have also had a friend critique it in the past.

Could it just be my lower back is weak and needs built up? I am struggling to sit down at the moment.

Also when lowering the bar I roll it over my knees, which are now covered in bruises is this normal?

Soldato
Just been watching Starting Strength vids on form for Squats and the other major compounds and it feels a lot better now when doing them. Thankfully, my first week back DOMS have gone, so I can keep on training!

Soldato
Could really do with some advice here guys;

I have just started back in the gym, and of course doing deadlifts this will be my 3rd time doing it this year.

My back is in agony after just my warmup set! Worse than DOMS, even walking about it is horrible. I am very catious about poor form and doubt it is, have also had a friend critique it in the past.

Could it just be my lower back is weak and needs built up? I am struggling to sit down at the moment.

Also when lowering the bar I roll it over my knees, which are now covered in bruises is this normal?

This was posted a page or two back, and may help you:

If you want your form checked, take a video of you doing it then upload it to here for the guys to look over. Also, perhaps try a lower weight for now. It might help you build up to the heavier weight and should help you focus on your form more if you are slightly concerned with it. Certainly sounds like your lifting a weight too heavy for you, or that you're using poor form though.

Just been watching Starting Strength vids on form for Squats and the other major compounds and it feels a lot better now when doing them. Thankfully, my first week back DOMS have gone, so I can keep on training!

You don't train through DOMS? o.O

kd

Caporegime
This was posted a page or two back, and may help you:

If you want your form checked, take a video of you doing it then upload it to here for the guys to look over. Also, perhaps try a lower weight for now. It might help you build up to the heavier weight and should help you focus on your form more if you are slightly concerned with it. Certainly sounds like your lifting a weight too heavy for you, or that you're using poor form though.

You don't train through DOMS? o.O

kd

Can't take a video at the moment, which is a shame.

Was only lifting 60kg when it started hurting, back was nice and straight. I did work up to 110, but my form was as good as it used to be and never had pain like this.

Leave it a week and it will be gone, hoping its nothing major and just my body not being used to lifting.

Soldato
How you finding it so far mate?

I started with a wee bit more weight than it recommended, I was already able to bench quite a bit more than the start value so I didn't lower the weight on that lift (Just to clarify I've been adding weight to my bench press since November).

sl5x5.png

Last edited:
Soldato
stronglifts 5x5

Been doing SL for a couple of weeks now (decided to go back to basics for a bit). Nice going back to the way i trained when i first started lifting.

Tweaked it a little, doing pullups instead of rows, and i do 3 sets of deadlift, as i'm working on my hook grip so still lifting quite a bit lower than i could with a mixed grip. Also start OHP from the ground and do a power clean to start each set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom