*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
tumblr_lls70rrpTP1qkae66o1_500.jpg

Soldato
got a day pass for excel at the paralympics next week. the day i'm going will see mens 82 and 90kg powerlifters medalling. i expect to see some BEAST benching.

Caporegime
I obviously can't offer any advice on your situation but I'll outline what I've been doing on my road to recovery and you can take from it what you want. You may be doing a lot of it already.

- Quit barbell benching (I actually quit all forms of benching for a bit)
- Quit barbell pressing; I quit DB pressing until better but still don't BB press.
- Switch to neutral grip pull ups/pull downs
- Stretch pec minor
- Stretch subscapularis
- Stretch lats
- hockey ball roll rhomboids, traps, lats and everything else around my scapular
- cross friction massage on bicep tendon and apply anti-inflammatory gel
- band pull aparts
- band dislocations
- facepulls
- rear delt flyes
- prone ys

I think that covers pretty much everything I did/do. As I say, thats what I did and not what i'm saying you should necessarily do.

PS. I'm your classic desk jockey with poor posture, but it is improving.

Ta mate, I do a few of them already, not as much as I should do, need to fit in a decent time to do it.

I sit at a desk most if not all day as well currently, however I'm quite aware of my posture, so it shouldn't be too bad in that sense...Thanks though, will look up some of those

Going on what Duvet has said, how does your shoulder feel when doing OHP? Is it the same feeling as when you're benching?

Moi? OHP (with BB) tends to be fine really, I do it on back/shoulder days and haven't had any issues I don't think.

Gym tonight for the first time in like 5 weeks. O lawd bring on the doms

Good man :)

You shall enjoy them! :D

Caporegime
Finally back squatting again. Still getting uncomfortable hip, thigh and knee pain but I don't feel like my leg's going to rip off anymore. Doctor and physio were both useless in diagnosing the problem so I'm just jacked up on paracetamol and using knee sleeves to help keep the pain to a minimum. Goal's to get back up to 200 by Christmas.

Caporegime
My ass is numb from yesterday! Walking lunges, who's idea was that? Can barely poo without being in agony. Not had doms in ages feels great :D

Finally back squatting again. Still getting uncomfortable hip, thigh and knee pain but I don't feel like my leg's going to rip off anymore. Doctor and physio were both useless in diagnosing the problem so I'm just jacked up on paracetamol and using knee sleeves to help keep the pain to a minimum. Goal's to get back up to 200 by Christmas.

Good luck :)

I love a positive mental attitude like yours. What are you sitting at now?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'd be inclined to do some foam rolling/lacrosse ball soft tissue work on the tight areas. Would be worth speaking to ice/dom about some stuff you can do.

Associate
Bench:
50x10
72.5x1
77.5x1
82.5x1
87.5x1
92.5x1
77.5x8f

Paused CGBP with 24kg in Chains:
55(+chains) x 8

Same as above but Incline:
55(+chains) x 7

Same as before but feet up:
55(+chains) x 6

Neutral grip chins:

Wide grip pullups:

Permabanned
Bench:
50x10
72.5x1
77.5x1
82.5x1
87.5x1
92.5x1
77.5x8f

Paused CGBP with 24kg in Chains:
55(+chains) x 8

Same as above but Incline:
55(+chains) x 7

Same as before but feet up:
55(+chains) x 6

Neutral grip chins:

Wide grip pullups:

Is this 531? whats with the 50 for 10? i do about 6 reps at 40% 1rm then get my sets out, warm ups just fatigue you only need to get a bit of fluid moving in the joints.

Associate
No, not 531. It's this powerlifting coaches own routine he uses for his team. The 50x10 is just part of warming up. The final set is meant to be for 10; if you can do 10 then you can move up 2.5kg the next time. I got 75x10 last time and benched 90. So this time I benched 92.5 and tried 77.5x10, but failed and got 8. So technically I'd repeat the same weight again next week. Even though 92.5 was easy.

It's an interesting routine, and he's clearly got a lot of success with it. He's got guys benching over 200 there and he himself is doing around 180 I think even though he's old-ish (over 50) and maybe about 95kg.

Caporegime
Are there any non-progressive routines?

Depends what you call progression mate.

Smed could easily just jump up 2.5Kg next week and attempt that, but the chances are he'll fail that as well (no offence <3) - I just like the way it's detailed out, simple: Try the lift, you fail, you try again next week. He could play around with rep ranges and weight, but it just over complicates things.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom