*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
They'll use HDR to increase the contrast, which will therefore exaggerate the muscularity. It'll do the same job as the make-up on the abs. The film 300 was filmed with high contrast and ab make-up, but they also drastically reduced saturation and increased vibrance.

kai

kai

Soldato
Is that normal for them to ask you to arrange that?

If you have to get topless in your gym, I'd be tempted to do it really late, just before closing.

Yes this is normally sorted by them however as it's a local gym to me they asked would i ask firstly their policy on this; and ill be trying to get a studio room and just drag a bench and some free weight in there. No way am i doing it out in the open !!!

Associate
Well that's not what HDR does and "HDR" as it's implemented by the vast majority of photographers is terrible. Even more so in fitness photography. Obviously my own opinion but I know a fair bit about the subject and there are far better ways to show off muscularity, both at the time of shoot and in post processing

Caporegime
It isn't rocket science. The very basic premise is that type 1 fibres are slow twitch (i.e. Slow but efficient with an aerobic energy cycle) whereas type 2 are fast twitch and are anaerobic. The former are better for non explosive strength (marathon running) whereas the latter are better for explosive (sprinting).

A/B variation in type 2 delineates between fast and very fast... A type will use a mix of fuel, but output less power, whereas B type is power and speed all the way. B variants are also the thickest muscle fibre type.

Might not be rocket science, but I've never read up on it, so obviously don't know the ins and outs. Just like you don't know certain things due to never having read anything about them :o

Man of Honour
Well that's not what HDR does and "HDR" as it's implemented by the vast majority of photographers is terrible. Even more so in fitness photography. Obviously my own opinion but I know a fair bit about the subject and there are far better ways to show off muscularity, both at the time of shoot and in post processing

Indeed. Just get more muscle! :cool: :D

Caporegime
Are you the photographer that is going to shoot kai or something? You seem to be offended by what I posted :p

Fitness togs abuse HDR to exaggerated the contours/shadows of muscles all the time. :) Hell, they even just paint them on in PS too..

edit: To clarify further.. they use the HDR to take away the shadows they don't want, in order to make the shadows they do want be all the more exaggerated.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Fellow old folk,

Lately, my right knee sometimes give the most almighty crack when walking, it's not painful, but not a nice feeling when it does it, and not nice for the person I'm walking past at the time

Anything I can take supplement/herb wise that can help with this? I know Freefaller will probably have a good recommendation

Is it cos I'm old?! That why?! :(

I found I responded well to Cissus Quadrangularis. However you can try using MSM - though some people even recommend CLA - but I don't know why.

That along with fish oils works out well. However, this is also where mobility comes into its own... it's ideal for sorting out those sort of issues.

Just something to think about. :)

Is there an OcUK Gym Ratz facebook group? Why not?

Oooh good interesting!!

Man of Honour
Might not be rocket science, but I've never read up on it, so obviously don't know the ins and outs. Just like you don't know certain things due to never having read anything about them :o

Wasn't meant as a dig - it's just not as complicated as it may seem. :) Supplement companies try to make it seem complicated and abstract ideas away from the factual premise to make their products sound awesome, which is why a lot of people don't want to know. Adding in the fact that secondary school biology is a load of bunk, and it's a recipe for apprehension. :(

Still apologies if you did take offence, but none was intended. :)

Have a look here for a nice table to summarise the current understanding nicely.

Associate
Are you the photographer that is going to shoot kai or something? You seem to be offended by what I posted :p

Fitness togs abuse HDR to exaggerated the contours/shadows of muscles all the time. :) Hell, they even just paint them on in PS too..

edit: To clarify further.. they use the HDR to take away the shadows they don't want, in order to make the shadows they don't want which makes the shadows they do want be all the more exaggerated.

Not offended in the slightest :)

I do take a lot of fitness photos though and I know that any fitness photographer worth their salt doesn't use HDR *as it's known by the general tog community* or if they do it's usually at the expense of a decent photo

Soldato
Oooh good interesting!!

genius-meme_large.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom