*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Monkee ive mentioned several times that some weights just feel damn heavy even when you can rep them out. When i unrack 100kg on the bench it feels heavy as hell but i can rep 20+ ive always wondered if bodyweight weights ever really feel light.

70kg everything except OHP is easy! ;) nothing like being a shorty light a s s

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Monkee ive mentioned several times that some weights just feel damn heavy even when you can rep them out. When i unrack 100kg on the bench it feels heavy as hell but i can rep 20+ ive always wondered if bodyweight weights ever really feel light.

100kg doesn't feel heavy as hell, and I can't rep it for 20.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Was just confused at UE's comment about being 'heavy as hell', yet reps 20. repping 20 of 100kg means UE is much stronger than me, who doesn't find 100kg 'heavy as hell'

Soldato
I'm sure he's exaggerating for effect. The point being, even if you're capable of repping it out, sometimes the weight always feels substantial when you take the full load (fnarr). And I see his point. 100kg never feels light to me for Deadlifts, yet I could rep it 'til the cows come home.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I'm sure he's exaggerating for effect. The point being, even if you're capable of repping it out, sometimes the weight always feels substantial when you take the full load (fnarr). And I see his point. 100kg never feels light to me for Deadlifts, yet I could rep it 'til the cows come home.

I think it depends on your strength level. 100kg will feel light when you can rep 200kg.

I can think back to when weights I lift now lift monsterously heavy, but they no longer do.

Caporegime
I've always thought that 'x' weight always feels like 'x' weight, but as I got stronger I was just able to "push through" lifting it. So 100kg still feels like 100kg did, but I am just able to lift it.

Doesn't make much sense, but I know what I mean so nerr :p

Permabanned
I think it depends on your strength level. 100kg will feel light when you can rep 200kg.

I can think back to when weights I lift now lift monsterously heavy, but they no longer do.

This is what i wonder about, 100kg still feels like it always has to me but when it touches my chest the muscles just power it up like nothing. Maybe relative joint loading or something? The way i see it although muscles get stronger our joints have far less room for progress and improvement. Our genetics amongst other things predispose us to a weight category to which our joints are adapted.

My theory is that when we lift at and above our bodyweight our joints let our brain know that "S$£% just got real" and even though they can cope and our muscles can cope our brain still registers the weight as 'heavy'.

At least thats how weights feel to me. Ill let you know when im repping 200 if things have changed.

Also Lie what do you rep 100kg for then? I had you pegged in the 20 range we are close on maxes arent we (155ish)

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Never done an all out set with 100kg. I did 117.5kg x 11 a few weeks back, that's as many reps as I've really done on bench press.

My max is 160, probably a little more right now.

Man of Honour
PErsonally, I think there's a big psychological element.

Four weeks ago, I'd have baulked at the idea of squatting more than 100kgs.

A week later, with the load across my shoulders (both front and back) and yes, it feels like 100kg, but it doesn't "feel" that heavy.

Muscle activation patterns also play a big part, too...

Soldato
For squatting in particular I know when my setup is bang on, because suddenly I unrack and it doesn't feel heavy (assuming it's a weight I've previously repped etc.). If it feels heavy when I unrack, I'm not tight somewhere.

Permabanned
So i could add ~50kg to my bench without getting stronger just telling myself i can do it? :D

errrr whut?

Am i being misheard here? What i said was 100kg feels heavy to me even tho i bench 150+

A reply from mrthingyx said that there was a psychological element to 100kg which i agreed with as many people i train struggle mentally to do 100kg even when they are strong enough.

I then, in response to delvis, stated that whilst it might be psychological for someone who can only bench 100 or so i doubted that i had an psychological issue with 100kg yet i still find the weight 'heavy'.

This is all i have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom