*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
When my squat stalls, I'm gonna hopefully get another PB, then I'm gonna wrap up and hopefully get 200.

Then I'm gonna lean out a little. Need to now.

Man of Honour
2 things,
1 the angle of the cable (estimate at 60deg from vertial) would have the weight
2 if that cable machine is like the one at my gym, the way the pulleys are set up (double pulley system) means you actually lift half the weight showing on the stack.

I would guess he would struggle to do a couple of full reps with a proper dip belt and 20kg

I didn't spot the cables....

I retract my statement, adding to that the poor ROM, that's pretty much crap.

Associate
How did your comp go?

It went ok and it was a good experience but I should have been put in the lightweight group not middleweight.

Lightweight 50-70kg 6-7 people
Middleweight 70-90kg 8-10 people
Heavyweight 90kg + Largest was 105kg

First event: farmers walk on a slight incline.

Lightweight 106kg
Middleweight 126kg
Heavy Weight 166kg

I was second up for this on my group. Did 6 and a bit lengths. Max was around 6 and a half but 4 people managed to get a little further than me.

Second Event: Deadlift

Started at 100kg and went up in 20kg until it got sticky then you could ask for a weight to be put on.

Managed 190kg 2 people done 195kg and one 200kg.

Third event: Log press

Same as dead lift went up in 5kg. I messed up on this event, 75kg log easy up first time and I locked out for a moment then my left arm went limp and it came down on one side so I had to lift it again. Got it on the second attempt but with poor form and I hurt my back with bending backwards and trying to press. Tried 80 but it wasn't going to happen. Pretty angry considering I got 85kg twice the week before.

Placed 4 or 5th

Fourth event: Car pull

Lightweight Mini
Middleweight Vito van/minibus
Heavy Weight BMW X5

Have no idea how well I done in this event. There was something up with the Vito. Everyone took a while to get started and it seemed much much heaver than before. I've tried both many times over the past few weeks and none were this hard.

Fifth event: Meadly- 10 flips of tire, length of car park with 40kg H beam then Pulling a tire from one end of the car park to the other with a rope.

Lightweight 5 flips of tire. 40kg H beam. empty pulling tire.
Middleweight 40kg H beam. Bucket with one bag of sand in pulling tire.
Heavy Weight 60kg H beam. bucket with two bags of sand in pulling tire.

No Idea how well I done in this either. Very hard event for everyone. Pushed us to our limits.

Overall I placed joint 5th with two other people. Was very happy with this considering the people I were up against.

The deciding event for the top man from each category was bench press for reps. Middle weight and light weight both got 16 reps. There was a joint top winners for the heavy weights. Two managed 16 and the last managed to pump out 22 reps of 92.5kg to win and take the title of Garnock valleys strongest man.

My backs still in pain from that day 3 weeks ago. A lot better but still a little sore when bending right back or touching my toes. Its been feeling ok during most of my lifts except from standing BB shoulder press but I can't afford to take time of because I amnow proberly going to be competing in the Scottish power lifting tournament in Dumfries on the 3rd of November. U20 U66kg or under 74kg. I was 69.5 for strongman and I'm now down to 67.5 so 1.5-2kg to go :D

EDIT: Here is the facebook page. Next years strongman will be open and feature more events. There is also going to be a powerlifting event in march which I think may be open and its all about power to weight.

Some videos from the day can be found here http://vimeo.com/49330990

Last edited:
Caporegime
It went ok and it was a good experience but I should have been put in the lightweight group not middleweight.

Lightweight 50-70kg 6-7 people
Middleweight 70-90kg 8-10 people
Heavyweight 90kg + Largest was 105kg

First event: farmers walk on a slight incline.

Lightweight 106kg
Middleweight 126kg
Heavy Weight 166kg

I was second up for this on my group. Did 6 and a bit lengths. Max was around 6 and a half but 4 people managed to get a little further than me.

Second Event: Deadlift

Started at 100kg and went up in 20kg until it got sticky then you could ask for a weight to be put on.

Managed 190kg 2 people done 195kg and one 200kg.

Third event: Log press

Same as dead lift went up in 5kg. I messed up on this event, 75kg log easy up first time and I locked out for a moment then my left arm went limp and it came down on one side so I had to lift it again. Got it on the second attempt but with poor form and I hurt my back with bending backwards and trying to press. Tried 80 but it wasn't going to happen. Pretty angry considering I got 85kg twice the week before.

Placed 4 or 5th

Fourth event: Car pull

Lightweight Mini
Middleweight Vito van/minibus
Heavy Weight BMW X5

Have no idea how well I done in this event. There was something up with the Vito. Everyone took a while to get started and it seemed much much heaver than before. I've tried both many times over the past few weeks and none were this hard.

Fifth event: Meadly- 10 flips of tire, length of car park with 40kg H beam then Pulling a tire from one end of the car park to the other with a rope.

Lightweight 5 flips of tire. 40kg H beam. empty pulling tire.
Middleweight 40kg H beam. Bucket with one bag of sand in pulling tire.
Heavy Weight 60kg H beam. bucket with two bags of sand in pulling tire.

No Idea how well I done in this either. Very hard event for everyone. Pushed us to our limits.

Overall I placed joint 5th with two other people. Was very happy with this considering the people I were up against.

The deciding event for the top man from each category was bench press for reps. Middle weight and light weight both got 16 reps. There was a joint top winners for the heavy weights. Two managed 16 and the last managed to pump out 22 reps of 92.5kg to win and take the title of Garnock valleys strongest man.

My backs still in pain from that day 3 weeks ago. A lot better but still a little sore when bending right back or touching my toes. Its been feeling ok during most of my lifts except from standing BB shoulder press but I can't afford to take time of because I amnow proberly going to be competing in the Scottish power lifting tournament in Dumfries on the 3rd of November. U20 U66kg or under 74kg. I was 69.5 for strongman and I'm now down to 67.5 so 1.5-2kg to go :D

EDIT: Here is the facebook page. Next years strongman will be open and feature more events. There is also going to be a powerlifting event in march which I think may be open and its all about power to weight.

Some videos from the day can be found here http://vimeo.com/49330990

Nice one :D
That wasnt farmers walk though it was frame carry and it was far too light for any standard of strongman :p

Soldato
Just started the gym looking to make some gains..

Workout 3-4 times a week:

Monday: Back and Biceps
Wednesday: Chest and Triceps
Friday: Legs and Shoulders

Typical diet:
Breakfast - Porridge/oatmeal, banana, 1 pint water

Lunch - 2 chicken salad wholemeal pittas. 2 x chicken fillets, 2 x wholemeal pittas, tomato, cucumber, salad onion, iceberg lettuce, banana, 1 pint water

Dinner - Varies, but a lot of the time spaghetti bolognese. Wholemeal penne pasta, 165g lean mince, tinned sauce, banana, 1 pint water

Final Total:
Kcal - 2086
Carbs - 206g
Protein - 140g
Fat - 30g
Fibre - 28g

How does this look, not every day I'll eat spagbol but probably at least 3 times a week. I've been eating chicken breasts + veg a lot. Also I'll have cottage cheese/greek yogurt as snacks now and then

Soldato
If you want to gain muscle you'll probably need to eat nearer 3000 calories than 2000.

Don't be scared of fats! Get yourself some nuts to snack on, and some good oil or similar (i use walnut oil because i already have omega 3 tabs) to drizzle on meals. Easy calories.

Also maybe some get some whey for some morning protein? Or a couple of eggs if you don't fancy that but whey is the cheapest source of protein.

Caporegime
Just started the gym looking to make some gains..

Workout 3-4 times a week:

Monday: Back and Biceps
Wednesday: Chest and Triceps
Friday: Legs and Shoulders

Typical diet:
Breakfast - Porridge/oatmeal, banana, 1 pint water

Lunch - 2 chicken salad wholemeal pittas. 2 x chicken fillets, 2 x wholemeal pittas, tomato, cucumber, salad onion, iceberg lettuce, banana, 1 pint water

Dinner - Varies, but a lot of the time spaghetti bolognese. Wholemeal penne pasta, 165g lean mince, tinned sauce, banana, 1 pint water

Final Total:
Kcal - 2086
Carbs - 206g
Protein - 140g
Fat - 30g
Fibre - 28g

How does this look, not every day I'll eat spagbol but probably at least 3 times a week. I've been eating chicken breasts + veg a lot. Also I'll have cottage cheese/greek yogurt as snacks now and then

Not bad, however....... Eat more :)

Soldato
Guys if I am doing shoulder press either with bells or with a bar, if I go below my ear then my right shoulder is giving sharp twinges. Likely a frayed tendon around the rotator cuff. Its an issue I have had for years.

The presses are not an issue as I shouldn't be dropping them into the pain zone, but getting the weight up above my ear is difficult and i need assistance.

Anyone have exercises designed to strength that area? Around the rotator cuff etc?

Associate
Just about to make my first purchase from myprotein, there's a space for a referral, any of you guys want to "refer" me? I don't know if there's anything in it for either of us, just thought i'd check!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom