*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Yeah afraid so. Some website was doing a special deal on all supplements, buy 2 get 1 free, plus I had several promo codes. Worked out dirt cheap, so jumped on it :)
Really is good stuff!

Just noticed you are from USA :(.
for 3 tubs here best deal you'll generally get is more or less £100. We get bum raped in tax.

Associate
So.. session 2 of Stronglifts 5x5 done this morning, so glad I went back to the bar... I have realised that my form is truly terrible.

Even when I was lifting regularly I must have had terrible form, just doing whatever to complete the last rep. Feeling good about it after studying a few of the stronglift articles last night, felt better in the gym today. I can see that this is something I'm going to have to study and work on.

Nice I loved doing stronglifts ;) Keep it up it's a nice simple program, I might even go straight back into that when I return.

Soldato
A sweaty, weight-filled gym has just opened in my town which seems entirely populated by jacked blokes - an awesome stroke of luck - so it's a sign I need to get in there and start squatting, deadlifting etc. It's this one if anyone cares.

Checked it out today. Friendly blokes, got everything I'll need. No cage which is a bit of a bummer but they still have a squat rack type thing (in the corner because no doubt nobody works their legs!). Space to deadlift too. I bought a hoodie (no vest yet, wait till I'm vascular) as a statement of intent to myself lol, just need to sort a routine out and then I'll start caining it there.

Need to get some shoes too, want VFF KomodoSport LS's...

Caporegime
Checked it out today. Friendly blokes, got everything I'll need. No cage which is a bit of a bummer but they still have a squat rack type thing (in the corner because no doubt nobody works their legs!). Space to deadlift too. I bought a hoodie (no vest yet, wait till I'm vascular) as a statement of intent to myself lol, just need to sort a routine out and then I'll start caining it there.

Need to get some shoes too, want VFF KomodoSport LS's...

Never seen the point on wearing a hoodie to the gym?

It will stink after one days use, and its rarely cold in the gym.

Soldato
Think I've sussed my lower back pain issues when squatting. For reasons unknown, I seem to lean forwards on the occassional rep. Probably not the best idea with 70+kg resting on your front delts.........! No reason for it either; once I became conscious of it, I straightened out and easily knocked out the rest of the reps. Gravity just seems to take over from time to time :)

Struggling with heavy Power Cleans too (well, 72.5kg being heavy for me). And it's entirely form driven - I can explode up and get the bar up to my shoulders easily enough, but I seem to lack the speed to drop my knees down and get below the bar in time. Any tips? I seem to remember FF essentially jumping in to a crouch when he cleaned?

Man of Honour
Second day of Kort 3x3

Squat 7x5x132.5kg huge progress here, best squats in months. I may be finally defeating my ankle... All sets super quick, almost as if there was nothing on the bar. Hit depth without the usual tightness and did a couple of pauses at the bottom to drill in the good position. May have done 8 sets, I lost count...

Bench 7x6x80kg coming together very well. Still need to consciously activate certain things but that should come with time.

Deads 7x5x147.5kg tired by this point but these were nice

Pullups bwx10, +10kgx5, 15kgx5, 20kgx5, 25kgx5, 30kgx5 PB!

Mid/lower back is having to work hard, but so far it feels good.

Man of Honour
Think I've sussed my lower back pain issues when squatting. For reasons unknown, I seem to lean forwards on the occassional rep. Probably not the best idea with 70+kg resting on your front delts.........! No reason for it either; once I became conscious of it, I straightened out and easily knocked out the rest of the reps. Gravity just seems to take over from time to time :)

Struggling with heavy Power Cleans too (well, 72.5kg being heavy for me). And it's entirely form driven - I can explode up and get the bar up to my shoulders easily enough, but I seem to lack the speed to drop my knees down and get below the bar in time. Any tips? I seem to remember FF essentially jumping in to a crouch when he cleaned?
For a lot of people their lower backs lose the battle for tension with a tight posterior chain for numerous reasons, good to hear you've made progress.

72.5kg is hardly a trivial amount to clean! Try practising with very light weights. It's all down to timing.

Soldato
It's definitely a case of really being aware of what you're doing during the rep. I suppose I must zone out from time to time - will be keeping it strict now though.

Ha, thanks man. Very light weights is a horrible idea though....... I did a hang clean with just the bar to warm up my legs (hang clean to front squat) and smashed myself in the jaw as I exploded upwards a little too much :p :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom