*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Haha it's me with arnies physique lol

:D:D:D

What wtf Delvis! Tricep kick backs?!?!?!?!

Yes? No cable machine. And I thought, what the hell. I used to do French press but it'll put stress on my lower back currently

Delvis, is that the order you do your chest work out too? If so, it's a bit of a random order. Stick chest exercises together, tricep after.

The only thing not in there is the Flyes? So I presume you mean them next to incline?

And yes, too many in gym now look good but can't lift anything reasonable!

You do realise that's what a body builder is generally? ;) :p
Everyone has different goals at the end of the day.

Soldato
He doesn't have a dipping station. I think he needs to reorganise his routine a bit though, as he seems to throw random exercises in with the wrong muscle groups; ie lateral raises with legs.

Caporegime
Yeah but I also don't understand why you do conc curls with chest and tris? And ditch tricep kickbacks for overhead extension :)

I don't normally do them, just fancied it on the end.

Again, don't normally do kickbacks (look at the blog if needs be) just did them. I find I get more tricep use on kickbacks, well, I can push more, whereas on overhead extensions once I hit a wall I hit a wall due to the nature of the lift. Shall give them a go.

Anyway, loads of people train biceps on chest day, then triceps on back day. Just preference I guess.

Could also do dips, thats always a good way to fry the triceps :D

As Monkee said, I can't. I'd do them off a bench but as said my shoulder felt odd this week.

I think he needs to reorganise his routine a bit though, as he seems to throw random exercises in with the wrong muscle groups; ie lateral raises with legs.

I probably do mate, but everytime I bring it up all I get is "stop changing, stop this, stop that just lift" which I have been doing since I started back up again :p I'm currently making decent progress on the main lifts as I haven't changed up too much.

The laterals where just thrown in for extra, my shoulders are lacking so I stuck them in. I don't have a training partner to ask these types of questions, and when I ask them on here I just get bashed down, so I tend to not bother anymore.

Man of Honour
I probably do mate, but everytime I bring it up all I get is "stop changing, stop this, stop that just lift" which I have been doing since I started back up again :p I'm currently making decent progress on the main lifts as I haven't changed up too much.

I suppose the issue is consistency, and your goals.

For a 'strength routine, my upper body work consists of 6 workouts. A week.

DAY 1: wide grip chins and barbell military press;
DAY 2: barbell bench and rows;
DAY 3: pull-ups and band-resisted push-ups.

Yes, DAY 1 is snatch day, and DAY 3 is jerk day, but that's technique more than anything else. EVerything else (well, the other three exercises on each day, are one core and two leg compounds). And I don't feel I'm suffering.

I remember doing skull-crushers, curls, lateral raises, incline bench, etc., but have had my routine stripped back to basics and feel a lot stronger for it as I can lift more volume in a single exercise. Yes, this week I have only been doing what ice refers to as 'beach weights', but that's because of an injury. My goal is - in the long term - to get an Olympic lift total of over 300kg, and powerlift at least 600kg. I don't need or want to look like a bodybuilder (I'm ugly, so having a god bod is largely pointless).

That Is my take on it. I don't know what your goals are, but I just want to lift big (and currently can't. :) ). I'd relate the same to anybody else, too. Byt I also only have an hour for my workouts. :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
Eventually I will train to lift big numbers, currently I'm following a hypertrophy view. Once I get to a point I am happy, I will probably change to some form of a strength routine but I'm not even thinking about that right now.

Soldato
Anyway, loads of people train biceps on chest day, then triceps on back day. Just preference I guess.

I'm not saying you can't do chest with bis etc, I'm saying pick one supporting group and hammer it. Do chest and Tris, or Chest and Bis - but don't do Chest and Tris with a few curls thrown in :)

Issue is bro that doing three sets of curls amongst chest and tris, or 3 sets of lat raises amongst legs isn't going to stimulate muscle growth, so you won't be helping lagging muscle groups to catch up by doing this. If you feel they're lacking, address them in the correct workout and hammer them hard.

Caporegime
I'm not saying you can't do chest with bis etc, I'm saying pick one supporting group and hammer it. Do chest and Tris, or Chest and Bis - but don't do Chest and Tris with a few curls thrown in :)

Issue is bro that doing three sets of curls amongst chest and tris, or 3 sets of lat raises amongst legs isn't going to stimulate muscle growth, so you won't be helping lagging muscle groups to catch up by doing this. If you feel they're lacking, address them in the correct workout and hammer them hard.

Aye, will do so. Thanks <3

Just to clarify, I don't normally train biceps separately :p

Permabanned
Currently I am doing a selection of the below exercises for each muscle group.
Can you see any obvious area I am not hitting, or any of these exercises that aren't any particular use ?

Biceps
dumbell curls
conecntration curls
ez-bar curls
machine curls
preacher curls
seated hammer curls

Triceps
seated overhead tricep extensions
standing one arm overhead tricep extensions
tricep pull-downs (usually with rope)
close grip bench
dips
bench dips
skull-crushers

lower-back
deads
cleans
dorsal raise
hyperextensions
good mornings

back
chins (wide grip mostly)
lat pull downs
bent over row
one arm dumbell row
t-bar row (not very often though)
seated cable row

chest
barbell bench (incline/decline/flat)
dumbell bench (incline/decline/flat)
dumbell flys (incline/decline/flat)
cable cross-overs
chest dips

shoulders
standing press
seated dumbell press
lat raise
front raise
reverse flys
rear delt machine (don't know proper name for this exercise)
standing one arm press

Legs
back squats
front squats
dumbell lunges
barbell lunges
walking barbell lunges
machine curls
machine leg raise
standing calf raise
seated calf raise
use to also do leg press but not a great fan of this now as squats always take priority, is there any reason I should be doing these particularly ?

Caporegime
Delvis - a lot of bodybuilders CAN lift decent weights, those that actually think about their routines and want decent, balanced growth.

My comment was based more around people who only train the 'show' muscles :p

Permabanned
DogsBody - you have listed all the common exercises for each body part, well done. You have made a comment about squats taking priority over leg pess, well done.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you think in all that somewhere you have missed the one exercise that will triple your growth? The one wierd old tip that will give you not only 3 day abs (used to be 5 but thans to a strange old method its now 3) but also grow your penis.

Ok im being facetious, but really all youve done is posted a list of perfectly reasonable body part exercises, there is nothing for us to analyse or recommend. post exact routine or something. Plus your mention of "a selection of these" reeks of whatever i feel like on the day = bad.

Permabanned
Well yes, they will be able to eventually. It's early days for myself yet

You need to try to match progression with hypertrophy delvis, whilst some massive bodybuilders train submaximally for size the weights are still relatively heavy vs bodyweight, also they will do a lot of sets in many cases.

You must try to make sure your weights are always going up, this wont always happen if you only train in the hypertrophy range of reps. I have always trained for strength in between the periods of training for size, both are important for growth.

You wont see anyone big who only reps below bodyweight that much is for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom