*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got 130 for squat failed all benches so ******* angry!!!!!!!!!!!! Done 90 no probs on the warm up, never failed that weight before never mind 3 ******* times!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the bench but at least you got a nice squat.

As LiE says just go and kill the DL now. It's your first comp, although it sucks it doesn't matter :).

Got 190 on the deadlift, just failed 195. Just below lockout and it stopped. Still can't believe I bombed the bench :( done 95 paused quite a few times... Would have won my weight class if I got it...

Honestly mate don't worry about it! Yes, it's frustrating to bomb out, but people should literally be expecting to mess up their first comp some how. It is NOTHING like performing the lifts in your own gym. This isn't an easy sport, especially if you aren't training with other powerlifters.

You know what to work on for next time.

Congratulations on popping your cherry :p Well done on the squats and deads :)

It's unlikely at a local/divisional level, but it does happen at properly sanction GBPF comps.

seems frighteningly exploitable then, i know of one compound that adds a good 20% to all lifts, havent tried it personally but im assured that its in the 20% yield range @ the 200kg and above level. In some ways its heartening and reassuring that al you nattys are more than competitive as that surely means no one is abusing

There are always going to be some abusers of the system, but as far as I know it isn't as rampant as you might expect. I don't think anyone was caught at nationals this year, whether or not that means anything is debatable though!

Comparing the guys from the GBPF to guys of similar weights in strongman can give you some idea of the boost that the sauce gives.

Good work Stiv, would like to hear your experience of your first comp. I'm planning to do my first comp next year.

Work on the bench and you'll be in great shape for the next comp.

Some advice guys, went to the gym yesterday even thought I felt like crap, dint get enough sleep and I dint eat much throughout the day as I kept vomiting (Nasty stomach bug). Would you guys advice not going, as it was a really straggle but I managed to finish my work out, but no where as strong as I normal I'm. Don't wanna slack so I forced myself to go but just checking if it is actual going to do more damage then progress.

Stiv well done on your first meet, even if it didn't go quite as you had hoped at least you gained some valuable experience. Did you get any vids of your lifts?

Yeah it's all a learning experience! Got a video of my squat on my Facebook after specifically explaining that I didn't want any put on there! Think the rest of my videos got videoed. Really tired and just trying to relax. I'll post something up in the next few days about my experience. :D

Well done stiv, bombing out happens just remember it's a learning curve and just getting on the stage is a millions miles better than those people just stuck in a gym.

Head up, learn from it and move on to the next one :)

Well done stiv, you got a nice squat and pull out of it at least ;). You now probably have a very clear idea of what you need to do for the next comp. I know my first comp was awful :o. Keep up with the awesome training and get those videos up asap! :D

So far I'm exactly on target for my "impossible" goals set 8 weeks or so ago :)

Yeah I know it's not a linear progression so it's still unlikely that I'll keep progressing at the same rate for a year and hit the numbers I wanted but it's giving me good motivation to keep going! I've been slacking a bit with my diet so there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Added 10kg to my bench, squat and dead in 8 weeks, 7.5kg to my press. So I guess my strength isn't going to badly either.

From my log.

Porridge of Legends

IMG_0286.jpg

Stuff you need
1 Oats so simple sachet, 30g blue berries, 30g walnuts, 1 scoop whey, 200ml semi skimmed milk and 1 medium banana.

1. Add 200ml milk and 1 scoop whey to a shaker and mix.
2. Pour oats sachet and shaker contents into bowl.
3. Microwave for 2 minutes then remove and stir together.
4. Add in blue berries, walnuts and banana with bowl on zeroed scales. Stir together.
5. Eat.
6. Gains.

Macro Breakdown
Cals: 618
Protein: 45g
Carbs: 62g
Fat: 28g

Taste best with vanilla whey. I'm using choc mint which isn't as good but still tasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom