*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
All i get is about Obama's gran and "Hot Curvy Blonde Granny Bangs BBC" and I don't think they mean what I mean by BBC :D

They have good programming for the most part, including the best Docu's and news in the world and shouldn't be compared to trash like the daily mail.

Amazing lift Temi_D ! Good to see epic bodyweight to lift ratios :D

I think it was you but I don't know that had a big weight gap between deads and squats. Just wondering how you have been getting on with squating, got the same problem as you with a weaker squat. :P

Thanks, yeah my squat is pretty low in comparison, for reps I do 120s, max 130 but it's uncomfortably close to my bench which is now 105. My focus is now going to be getting it up

Looking for some "cardio" opinions

The following is my weekly routine:

ScreenShot2012-11-08at130813.png

I'm interesting in hammering out some additional workouts, on the "cardio days" in between / some over weekends on an ad-hoc basis when I feel like it.

I was thinking of doing something like the 300 spartan routine, but reckon it might "clash" with my regular workouts.

Can anyone suggest something that's not straight up cardio on those "off days" ?

Why are you doing good mornings?

As for your question, have you looked at complexes?

Did a PT session, he recommended it... didn't question is the honest answer.

I told him what sports I do, the physique I want out of it and this is what he's come up with for me (and some other rotator cuff specific stuff etc.. as I'm plagued by injuries), working around some of my injuries.

I thought I'd give PT a go, in stead of always just defaulting to Forum advice. Not saying that I'd get any lesser feedback in here, but just wanted to try something different I guess.

Nope, never heard of complexes?

edit: Ah, complexes are compounds?
I already do that though?

Google t-nation complexes.

Good mornings are a pretty weird exercise for a pt to recommend. There are very limited useful applications, and for most of those there are safer exercises that are easier to do correctly. When you next see him, ask him why he chose them over Romanian deadlifts. If he doesn't give you a detailed response, ditch him, because at that point I'd doubt he could coach the movement properly.

Complexes are lighter compounds that you string together one after another in a sort of circuit-training style. However it's good high intensity, which helps balance, core, cardio, a bit of strength and just hits every single part of the body - it's painful.

For example....

Using barbells...

Start of with RDLs, followed by BORS, followed by front squats, then OHP/PP. Then some pressups (or a variation of press ups). Around 8 reps - then do that 5x. There is no break between the transition.

It's hard.

You can use DBs if you want to do some alternative style of exercises - or include different workout completely.

DB Cleans
DB Push Press
Goblet squats or DB overhead squat
DB Rows
DB press up + Pull in.

Etc.... you want something with a nice smooth transition, and that tackles every body part. And use the weight that makes it challenging but not fail.

Last edited:
Google t-nation complexes.

Good mornings are a pretty weird exercise for a pt to recommend. There are very limited useful applications, and for most of those there are safer exercises that are easier to do correctly. When you next see him, ask him why he chose them over Romanian deadlifts. If he doesn't give you a detailed response, ditch him, because at that point I'd doubt he could coach the movement properly.

I did tell him that I'm unhappy with my progress on the deadlift - so maybe that's why he's recommended it?

Complexes are lighter compounds that you string together one after another in a sort of circuit-training style. However it's good high intensity, which helps balance, core, cardio, a bit of strength and just hits every single part of the body - it's painful.

For example....

Using barbells...

Start of with RDLs, followed by BORS, followed by front squats, then OHP/PP. Then some pressups (or a variation of press ups). Around 8 reps - then do that 5x. There is no break between the transition.

It's hard.

You can use DBs if you want to do some alternative style of exercises - or include different workout completely.

DB Cleans
DB Push Press
Goblet squats or DB overhead squat
DB Rows
DB press up + Pull in.

Etc.... you want something with a nice smooth transition, and that tackles every body part. And use the weight that makes it challenging but not fail.

Cheers mate. I much prefer this kind of "cardio" as my attention span is awful - 40 minutes on the cross trainer does my head in.

Do you suffer hamstring tightness?

Now post good mornings, or before?

Did he coach you through good mornings and deadlift?

He's not definitely wrong to suggest them, I just have my suspicions!

Yes, he didn't just give me the routine - we went through them all, bar the easy ones.
I think for my follow ups we need to spend more time on these specifically.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom