*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress is measured by the increase of your top end strength, not needlessly progressing from ridiculously light weight. He won't hit a wall before he makes any real progress, he'll just find his optimum 5 rep max faster.

I'd start 30kg for bench, 40kg for squats and 50kg for deadlifts. Make sure your technique is spot on though!

Today appears to be one of those days.

See you later peeps

beingdelvis.jpg

What you guys say about creatine?

I was telling a freind how I find that I get very depleted of energy and my recovery is not that great, and he suggested I could try creatine.

Does it help with recovery? What about during a workout?

I'll be honest, I've not lifted heavy in a while. Yeah yeah im training hard but when it comes to pulling, I've been slacking.

So tonight, when the other 3 (who actually are still competing on Sunday) turn up to our garage I thought we would be doing light work and some stretching..........
Nope. Let's do some 18" deads for fun. Heavyish.

70kg x a few to warm up
120kg x 5
160x5
200x5
240x3
280x1
300x.......fail.

The 280 was pretty easy, nice to feel a decent weight in my hands.
We tried the 300 for a laugh, knowing it was a crazy thing to do but what the heck. Bar bended, it started to move but far far too slow. Another day with a better build up would have made more sense.

Yeah yeah it was 18" but I'm happy :)

What you guys say about creatine?

I was telling a freind how I find that I get very depleted of energy and my recovery is not that great, and he suggested I could try creatine.

Does it help with recovery? What about during a workout?

Eat more food.

Never used it myself mind, but IIRC its one of the very few researched products proven to work.

Really? Are there any studies that show it's more/only beneficial to power lifters and the others you mention?
Been a long time since I looked at any research on creatine lol

Well ill call myself on not having the studies to back it up, but since creatine functions as a phosphorylation agent that only works during the top 2% effort bracket (that is when lifting at 98% capacity and above), and is also in plentiful supply in a typical lifting diet (red meats are packed with it), the only use i can see for it is in those lifters who work within that top level effort range and those on restricted diets.

A beginner lifter could not lift above 80% capacity let alone in the 98%+ range so for the purposes of a typical gym goer its just magic beans, and, in my opinion, the benefits some see are just those typical of a placebo.

I don't know any of the science first hand, but a guy I know that I'm confident does has loosely recommended it. It's cheap so I use it, hard to quantify results beyond water retention though.

There are certainly more important things to sort out first though. It's like a lot of supps and more complex fiddling around with diet - it's only of any benefit when the basics are completely sorted.

It certainly doesn't help with recovery though.

Well ill call myself on not having the studies to back it up, but since creatine functions as a phosphorylation agent that only works during the top 2% effort bracket (that is when lifting at 98% capacity and above), and is also in plentiful supply in a typical lifting diet (red meats are packed with it), the only use i can see for it is in those lifters who work within that top level effort range and those on restricted diets.

A beginner lifter could not lift above 80% capacity let alone in the 98%+ range so for the purposes of a typical gym goer its just magic beans, and, in my opinion, the benefits some see are just those typical of a placebo.

I don't know any of the science first hand, but a guy I know that I'm confident does has loosely recommended it. It's cheap so I use it, hard to quantify results beyond water retention though.

There are certainly more important things to sort out first though. It's like a lot of supps and more complex fiddling around with diet - it's only of any benefit when the basics are completely sorted.

It certainly doesn't help with recovery though.

Opethdisciple is struggling because he wants to be losing weight and should therefore be in a calorie deficit.

Creatine -as pointed out be UE only 'helps' crank out those last few big contractions (research goes on bench press, generally), it doesn't help recovery or weightloss. It does have some more amusing side effects (carbs bind to it as a muscle glycogen store, and therefore water) making muscles look bigger, but this is doe to water retention and will not aid weightloss. It also can be dehydrating, too.

Veggies should cosume creatine as a matter of course, because research indicates these taking it demonstrate significantly improved working memory. If there were any other evidence required to show that veggies diet are dumb, this is it. :)

@Opethdisipe: try dosing with caffeine or ProPlud before your workouts.

Last edited:
I really notice the effects of creatine and love using it because its so cheap. Gives me a little more strength on my PB attempts, makes me look a little rounder/bigger and gives me a good pump in my chest/quads/Biceps. I only use it just before a session and do 4 weeks on 4 weeks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom