*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
What warm ups do you guys do before weight training.

I've been neglecting doing them and finding myself more injury prone. I try and do some stretches now especially before back/shoulder sessions.

Argh, Such a good and bad day at the gym today.
Good was everything apart from squats.

First of all I did squats at the end of my routine, I know I should have done it first but I'm really struggling to get below parallel without arching my back or losing my balance.

However I did manage to leg press 320KG today. :)

I can't imagine doing anything other than Squats first. They require one hell of a lot of energy, should really be done first IMO.

Last time I did squats I ended up injuring my lower back. I don't understand why my technique is sound, I think I just tried to lift too much and probably ended up arching my back. Going to go easy on the weight and focus on higher reps.

I know, and I'll do squats first next time, having read a bit I shouldn't be doing leg press and squats on the same day anyway. 320KG was a PB for me and I managed to get 4 reps out of it. I know leg press != squats but what do you guys reckon I should be able to do?

My form is terrabad I know this, but when I try to correct it I just lose balance or cannot get below parallel and it's really frustrating. I really want to start doing deadlifts as well but I'm not entirely confident about doing them. The only deadlifts I've seen are on youtube where I've watched people try to tell you the perfect form. And while I think I can replicate it it's easy for someone who's watching me to tell me if I am. Now I've only seen about 2 people at my gym (it's a fitness first, changing next year) do deadlifts. So I'm a bit skeptical to try them or not.

I know, and I'll do squats first next time, having read a bit I shouldn't be doing leg press and squats on the same day anyway. 320KG was a PB for me and I managed to get 4 reps out of it. I know leg press != squats but what do you guys reckon I should be able to do?

My form is terrabad I know this, but when I try to correct it I just lose balance or cannot get below parallel and it's really frustrating. I really want to start doing deadlifts as well but I'm not entirely confident about doing them. The only deadlifts I've seen are on youtube where I've watched people try to tell you the perfect form. And while I think I can replicate it it's easy for someone who's watching me to tell me if I am. Now I've only seen about 2 people at my gym (it's a fitness first, changing next year) do deadlifts. So I'm a bit skeptical to try them or not.

I'm sure others will step in and tell me I'm wrong but I don't think combining squats and leg press during the same session is necessarily a bad thing.

If I'm doing a legs session I tend to start with Squats and end the session on the leg press machine. Don't forget Squats work a range of muscles where as the leg press is very much focusing (mostly) on Quads and Hams. I don't push myself as hard as I could in the absence of Squats beforehand though, it's best to avoid injury.

I can't imagine doing anything other than Squats first. They require one hell of a lot of energy, should really be done first IMO.

Last time I did squats I ended up injuring my lower back. I don't understand why my technique is sound, I think I just tried to lift too much and probably ended up arching my back. Going to go easy on the weight and focus on higher reps.

If your technique was sound then this would not have happened. Technique includes knowing what is a sensible progression and what is not. :)

Regarding warm-ups, single leg groiners, the Mobility WOD hip opener, BW squats, unloaded barbell complexes, rectus femoris stretching, etc.

Shoulders include dislocations, internal/external rotation...

Basically, look at icecold's mobility thread. ;)

If your technique was sound then this would not have happened. Technique includes knowing what is a sensible progression and what is not. :)

Regarding warm-ups, single leg groiners, the Mobility WOD hip opener, BW squats, unloaded barbell complexes, rectus femoris stretching, etc.

Shoulders include dislocations, internal/external rotation...

Basically, look at icecold's mobility thread. ;)

Having a look now.

I don't know for sure it was my squats that caused it. I did back on Tuesday. Legs on Wednesday. Then suddenly on Friday morning my lower back was aching.

Just have a rest and then revisit your form on lifts. If you're unsure, post a video in the Form thread.

What constitutes your leg session?

6-8 sets of Squats.
4 x 8-12 DB Lunges (with back foot on bench, they hurt like a b****)
4 x 12 Calf Raises

I usually end on the resistance machines although not pushing myself too hard so then:

Leg Extension
Leg Press
Hip Abductors

I then do core-matwork (inc glute bridges) and pullups for approx 15-20 minutes.

Last edited:
I've been wondering why my setup during heavy squats felt awkward....tonight I weighed my plates and got my answer.

One of the "20s" weighs 24.5kg.... I've contacted strengthshop.co.uk on their facebook page to see if they'll replace it. At almost 25% over the stated weight it's a bit of a joke.

In brighter news it does put my squat PBs 4.5kg higher... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom