*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
well missed being able to post for a couple of days!! back now :D

Well done ice, and dom with your comp on Sunday :)

seen loads of PB's being thrown up on the boards as well, so well done to everyone, great achivements all round :)

Totes aware that you fellas have most likely seen this, but it just never fails to amaze me how people can get things so wrong and not break themselves.

How are some of those people even standing after that :(

There isnt an 'awful' lot wrong with most of the lifts in that vid. Power techniques for learners can be a bit all over the place, there isnt much room for practice and error. My main critcism is that they are using weight that is clearly heavy without competent solid form or balance. Reeks of egocentric mentality. Plus the blokes are pressing not jerking anyway.

Totes aware that you fellas have most likely seen this, but it just never fails to amaze me how people can get things so wrong and not break themselves.

How are some of those people even standing after that :(

I'm sure the last time that vid was posted a lot of people said it's quite normal to be wrestling with the bar as it's a 2inch one.

With your back at a 90 degree angle? yep, 100% normal :p

Its an "axle" which at a certain weight people will need to continental clean it. Few things wrong here, main one being lack of chalk tbh. Closely followed by a lack of decent instruction on how to work the bar from the belly to shoulders.
A belt always comes in handy to creat a shelf above (no, don't rest it on the belt itself!).
I've seen worse, including done myself, than a lot of those girls tbh :p

One of the strongest men in the world doing it...

Last edited:
Hmm...

So I've got my diet checked by Steedie. (cheers dude)
Next stage was book in a gym induction. 40 minutes they want. Going to do it tomorrow.

Only concern is that whilst I was walking past, from what I could see through the glass walls of the building (to the outside), they're very machine orientated in the gym, and not so free lifts orientated.

They have a load of cardio machines, and then some pull down machines etc.. In one section.

Then they have the 'big boys' area. All that is in their is a bench press, and what looked like some kind of ab chop thing (large pole that moves towards the ground with weights at the top).

In the machine area they seemed to have, for best sense of a word, an assisted squat rack, rather than a normal squat rack. The bar was stuck between two metal lines, so it could only follow one path down.
What are the things to look out for with this compared to a normal squat?

Couldn't see anything that would lend itself to doing OHP... Might have to resort to one armed dumbell ones instead. (From what I could see the dumbells in the weights room went to a reasonable weight).

Also couldn't really see anywhere with open space to deadlift... But greatly hoping I'm wrong from that sense.

Bit surprised really from a cursory glance. I'll see what it is actually like once I get in tomorrow, but definitely seems like it's pretty weak in what they have. Surprises me to be honest considering the size of the bloody place...

kd

Hmm...

So I've got my diet checked by Steedie. (cheers dude)
Next stage was book in a gym induction. 40 minutes they want. Going to do it tomorrow.

Only concern is that whilst I was walking past, from what I could see through the glass walls of the building (to the outside), they're very machine orientated in the gym, and not so free lifts orientated.

They have a load of cardio machines, and then some pull down machines etc.. In one section.

Then they have the 'big boys' area. All that is in their is a bench press, and what looked like some kind of ab chop thing (large pole that moves towards the ground with weights at the top).

In the machine area they seemed to have, for best sense of a word, an assisted squat rack, rather than a normal squat rack. The bar was stuck between two metal lines, so it could only follow one path down.
What are the things to look out for with this compared to a normal squat?

Couldn't see anything that would lend itself to doing OHP... Might have to resort to one armed dumbell ones instead. (From what I could see the dumbells in the weights room went to a reasonable weight).

Also couldn't really see anywhere with open space to deadlift... But greatly hoping I'm wrong from that sense.

Bit surprised really from a cursory glance. I'll see what it is actually like once I get in tomorrow, but definitely seems like it's pretty weak in what they have. Surprises me to be honest considering the size of the bloody place...

kd

Sounds crap.

The machine your talking about is a smith machine. Do they have oly bars? I assume they do. Just a bench?

If theres room to stand, theres room to deadlift :)

Sounds crap.

The machine your talking about is a smith machine. Do they have oly bars? I assume they do. Just a bench?

If theres room to stand, theres room to deadlift :)

I'm surprised it is so crap frankly.. You'd think with the climbing wall and the Olympic swimming pool, the gym would be up to a similar standard. Just a shame that machines + money =/= good.

Ah, ok. What do I do with that then? :p

They seem to have two. One with a Bench underneath it, the other for squatting...

There is a separate bench for benching properly, and I suppose I could take the bar off of the Bench (it looks olympic, hard to tell :p) and deadlift with it. Not sure how amused they'd be about that, but oh well...

kd

I'm surprised it is so crap frankly.. You'd think with the climbing wall and the Olympic swimming pool, the gym would be up to a similar standard. Just a shame that machines + money =/= good.

Ah, ok. What do I do with that then? :p

They seem to have two. One with a Bench underneath it, the other for squatting...

There is a separate bench for benching properly, and I suppose I could take the bar off of the Bench (it looks olympic, hard to tell :p) and deadlift with it. Not sure how amused they'd be about that, but oh well...

kd
You use it just like you'd use a free bar in a rack, but personally I find them terrible for anything other than calf raises. My body doesn't get on with being locked in a straight line of motion at all.
They shouldn't have a problem with you nicking the oly bar to do deads with or at least my gym doesn't when someone's using the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom