*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvm, google answered that question.

Just seems annoying. Just give me some free weights...

Another google and it seems the Smith Machine is actually worse than normal squats for muscle because it doesn't allow anywhere near as much self-stabilisation :( Also, suggests it might not help form - how much of this is broscience?

Maybe I'll switch to Goblet squats instead...

kd

Last edited:
Nvm, google answered that question.

Just seems annoying. Just give me some free weights...

Another google and it seems the Smith Machine is actually worse than normal squats for muscle because it doesn't allow anywhere near as much self-stabilisation :( Also, suggests it might not help form - how much of this is broscience?

Maybe I'll switch to Goblet squats instead...

kd

None of it is broscience, squatting on a smith is inferior in pretty much every way.

What sort of weight are you looking at at the moment re: squats? You could always have fun with the steinborn lift for a few weeks if you're at enough of a noob weight.

Totes aware that you fellas have most likely seen this, but it just never fails to amaze me how people can get things so wrong and not break themselves.

How are some of those people even standing after that :(

That is hilarious.

Are they for real... surely it's a **** take.

I'm sure the last time that vid was posted a lot of people said it's quite normal to be wrestling with the bar as it's a 2inch one.

Its an "axle" which at a certain weight people will need to continental clean it. Few things wrong here, main one being lack of chalk tbh. Closely followed by a lack of decent instruction on how to work the bar from the belly to shoulders.
A belt always comes in handy to creat a shelf above (no, don't rest it on the belt itself!).
I've seen worse, including done myself, than a lot of those girls tbh :p

One of the strongest men in the world doing it...
There is a fundamental problem that is being overlooked here.

What is the desired training outcome?

There is literally only one valid reason to train with an axel for floor to overhead or any cleans*, and that is to get better with at cleaning an axel. This is only useful for strongman, where they use axels because they force you into mechanically disadvantaged positions thus making it harder.

What do these positions and techniques mean for a beginner with insufficient core and shoulder control? Injuries and bad motor patterning, not to mention that continental cleans are inherently more risky. Basically, they shouldn't be doing them just for the sake of it.

This is absolutely one of the times where crossfit is being reckless and ****ing stupid with it's clients. Monkey see monkey do.

*you could say grip work if there wasn't a clean involved.

There is a fundamental problem that is being overlooked here.

What is the desired training outcome?

There is literally only one valid reason to train with an axel for floor to overhead or any cleans*, and that is to get better with at cleaning an axel. This is only useful for strongman, where they use axels because they force you into mechanically disadvantaged positions thus making it harder.

What do these positions and techniques mean for a beginner with insufficient core and shoulder control? Injuries and bad motor patterning, not to mention that continental cleans are inherently more risky. Basically, they shouldn't be doing them just for the sake of it.

This is absolutely one of the times where crossfit is being reckless and ****ing stupid with it's clients. Monkey see monkey do.

*you could say grip work if there wasn't a clean involved.

Oh I agree, there is no need for them to be doing it, it serves them no benefit at all. Tbh that vid shows the worst of what people think of crossfit, yet the reality is not maximal lifting, it's doing something over and over and over again.

So yes, they don't need to be doing it but also they really shouldn't be put in that position of doing it at a weight they can't handle.

My point was more "there isn't anything really wrong with it" :)

Get an expert to measure you with calipers. It's the cheapest and simplest way for most of us mere mortals!

Minimum of 5 points really - but 7 is even better. :) You put the readings into a chart and it tells you your measurement.

I doubt the GP would do it unless you have a particular health concern, and with the greatest respect I doubt most could actually do it properly. It does take a bit of a nack. You need to avoid pinching too much flesh, but as the same time not just the skin - it's a little tricky.

Oh I agree, there is no need for them to be doing it, it serves them no benefit at all. Tbh that vid shows the worst of what people think of crossfit, yet the reality is not maximal lifting, it's doing something over and over and over again.

So yes, they don't need to be doing it but also they really shouldn't be put in that position of doing it at a weight they can't handle.

My point was more "there isn't anything really wrong with it" :)
:thumbsup:

Yeah in general I don't really mind crossfit, but when it's bad it's really terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom