*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen people say the last stretch of the movement is unnecessary as there's not much loading on the shoulders at that point and only opens more opportunity for injury.

I've not seen people say the stretch at the top is in any way beneficial.

*Waits for ice to tell me I'm a moron*

I've seen people say the last stretch of the movement is unnecessary as there's not much loading on the shoulders at that point and only opens more opportunity for injury.

Well I've heard it mentioned, but figured I best not ask with the risk of looking like even more of a noobish moron because I should know these things. :p

watching that super series wsm qualifier last night and i have to say eddie hall looks promising if he can sort his grip and fitness out.

just hope he doesnt end up like terry hollands who seems to be hitting a wall fitness wise with his constant cramping.

although the quote they got from eddie in the gym about his training is a tad worrying "i lift heavy weights for low reps" hopefully it was a throw away comment otherwise he'l never sort his fitness and grip out.

After the induction yesterday, did some squats, and stuff whilst looking around before starting 'proper' next week. (Want to start on a Monday)

Anyway. I'm now looking for routes to wherever I'm going with as few stairs as possible, and am also cursing cycling...

Leg DOMS are fuuuun....

Going for a swim in an hour or so as well...

kd

Question: why would you want to separate the yolk? I have 0 clue on diet. I eat food I like so if someone could fill me in that would be great ;)

Most people wouldn't want to cut the yolk, but in a pre contest diet when every calorie counts, and things like sodium matter, egg yolks are usually removed. I used to have 3 egg whites and 1 yolk in the evenings for example

Most people wouldn't want to cut the yolk, but in a pre contest diet when every calorie counts, and things like sodium matter, egg yolks are usually removed. I used to have 3 egg whites and 1 yolk in the evenings for example

Ah ok I see, thanks.

I really should sort a diet plan out...*sigh*

Well you will struggle as a stongman if you don't lift heavy weights for low reps.

What about heavy weight for high reps? ;)

exactly. if all you do is heavy weights and low reps your fitness will be toast when you come to doing 10 or even 20 reps at wsm. let alone your grip stamina, once that goes no matter how strong you are you aint lifting stuff off the floor.

I personally don't get it either, the yolk is the best bit! :p

However, there are more calories in the yolk.

A LOT more, sommat like a normal egg is circa 75kcals with the yolk or 15 without! But still, takes 3 egg whites to hit 10g of protein, so it's not the most convenient or cost effective method to get protein.

You're a moron :mad:

;)

It's kind of half good advice, but based on the assumption that people have very specific problems. Most of these would be down to mobility in the shoulder (likely pec limited) and stability/control of the scapula, both of which should be dealt with. Other problems would mean that shoulder pressing at all would be a bad idea.

On the other hand, there are advantages to having full EXTERNALLY ROTATED extension of the shoulder with a slight shrug. At the very least, these positions should be accessible and pain free.

Neck position is easy, neutral spine all day every day. If you're throwing your head around you're going to snap something up.

The idea of not locking out to protect joints is a bit of a funny one, and it seems to be taught to aspiring PTs. The actual situation is that we shouldn't be resting weight passively at end range of the joint, but, for example, a straight knee shouldn't be 100% end range.

People need to deal with their mobility issue so they don't need to do weird **** to avoid snapping all kinds of stuff up.

watching that super series wsm qualifier last night and i have to say eddie hall looks promising if he can sort his grip and fitness out.

just hope he doesnt end up like terry hollands who seems to be hitting a wall fitness wise with his constant cramping.

although the quote they got from eddie in the gym about his training is a tad worrying "i lift heavy weights for low reps" hopefully it was a throw away comment otherwise he'l never sort his fitness and grip out.
Well he isn't going to get strong without lifting near max weight at low reps...

Edit: Increasing stamina in events isn't as simple as doing more reps in the gym.

Ed Hall is pretty new to strongman, he has got to where he has through brute strength rather than experience. Give him a few more years or events training and specific training for more stamina and he will be awesome.
You can see he has the strength to be up there with the best, just needs to learn the finer points of all the different events that strongman throws up.

Like a powerlifter, you have your basic exercises to build your raw strength, you then add assistance where needed and then have either events days or build some of the events into your normal training.

Hollands is a legend, his record for appearances at the finals is outstanding showing the he is one of the best/most consistent ever. Injuries are a pain though, and he has had his fair share this last few years.

like i said ice, i hope it was a throw away comment.

and yeah gym work isnt the best way to get stamina in events. its doing the events more and more, just have to look at how some of the top guys train. most of them have a good selection of stones and tyre's to get the reps in.

and being extremely strong is going to be worth nothing if he cant fire the reps out. just look at the state of some of the ex power lifters who came across to strongman, sure on static events they could hold there own but come more physical movement style events they would blow up in no time at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom