*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, as the guys are saying, I wouldn't sacrifice reps for the sake of forcing DOH. But there's nothing stopping you from switching to mixed mid set if that's what it comes down to.

Yea, for grip strength.

I don't use DOH for normal deads, I prefer to just train myself to use only that grip instead of switching around. However, I do RDL with only DOH and do heavy DM rows which destroy my grip.

Thanks all, theres a vid in the log now.

As said, i always use doh, this week switched to mixed for the first time purely because it would have been counter productive to try and use doh on the later sets. Hopefully be able to use doh for more of it next week :)

Have been really inconsistent since august (holiday) and diet has been awful... but I've vowed to commit to fat loss and strength maintenance/improvement for the next 6-12 months. Aiming to lose 20lbs of fat.

First gym date today in two weeks.

Squat: Managed a ME (5th) set of 45kg x 22 reps...but totally gassed. Managed a further 3 sets of 5x10 (32.5)... wow I'm completely outta shape!

Anyway onward and upward - Bench tomorrow (oh I'm following 531 4 days a week + conditioning - i know i'll plateau due to caloric deficit but the heavier sessions will keep muscle mass up)

My training has been going very effectively for the last couple of months, increases weights all-over. However, I’m coming to the point in my long bulk whereby my body seems to be fighting it. As in, I don’t have an insatiable appetite like I used to! Infact it’s decreased a lot, and getting 3.8k calories is incredibly tough, even with some junk. Any ideas to increase appetite? At this stage I feel cardio would be counterproductive seeing as it would burn vital calories.

My training has been going very effectively for the last couple of months, increases weights all-over. However, I’m coming to the point in my long bulk whereby my body seems to be fighting it. As in, I don’t have an insatiable appetite like I used to! Infact it’s decreased a lot, and getting 3.8k calories is incredibly tough, even with some junk. Any ideas to increase appetite? At this stage I feel cardio would be counterproductive seeing as it would burn vital calories.

Try changing up the eating pattern. I dont know about you but when I'm hungrier in my mind i tend to overdo it in the next meal.

For example if you're eating every few hours right now, try skipping breakfast in the morning and you'll find by 11am you could eat a horse and will stupendously overeat at lunch - making up for the calories you missed at breakfast and then some. If you make the macros work there should be no adverse affect on your nutrition whatsoever, but if may help overcome the psychological barrier.

On the other hand...it might just be me!

Hi guys,

Over the last few weeks/month my grip strength has started to become a limiting factor for deads. I'm incorporating static holds and some other grip work into my routine to try and pull things back but I've just impulse purchased some fat gripz as I was able to get them for about £17. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these? I'm considering using them in my training but I'd appreciate some views.

Cheers.

I may well be wrong on this but I seem to think that there's a slightly increased risk of injuring your bicep with mixed grip, particularly at heavier weights. However I'm sure someone will correct me if that's not right.
There is more risk, but it's still very minor. What makes it much more likely is having poor shoulder health.
Have been really inconsistent since august (holiday) and diet has been awful... but I've vowed to commit to fat loss and strength maintenance/improvement for the next 6-12 months. Aiming to lose 20lbs of fat.

First gym date today in two weeks.

Squat: Managed a ME (5th) set of 45kg x 22 reps...but totally gassed. Managed a further 3 sets of 5x10 (32.5)... wow I'm completely outta shape!

Anyway onward and upward - Bench tomorrow (oh I'm following 531 4 days a week + conditioning - i know i'll plateau due to caloric deficit but the heavier sessions will keep muscle mass up)
What is that workout? 22 reps?

I'm a bit confused, that's definitely not 531...

Hi guys,

Over the last few weeks/month my grip strength has started to become a limiting factor for deads. I'm incorporating static holds and some other grip work into my routine to try and pull things back but I've just impulse purchased some fat gripz as I was able to get them for about £17. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these? I'm considering using them in my training but I'd appreciate some views.

Cheers.
What exactly have you been doing for your static holds?

Thanks Ravster, I'll give it a try.

At the moment I end up gorging on plates of cheese, dark chocolate and pints of banana milk to make up the remaining calories pre-bed. Such first world problems, struggling to eat enough :D

Pinching plates. Heavy dumbells and heavy bar holds. My grip struggles at anything over 150kg for reps. I have to ditch double oh above 120 (8 reps). In addition to deads it gets trained through the week with rdl's, bb rows, pull ups and a couple of sets of shrugs a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom