*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh i accept his banter, i just find it rather old and annoying when its directed towards me purely because of an injury.

Ive voiced my opinion, what happens from here i couldnt give two hoots.

How long in all honesty does it take a natty to make a total transformation?

We are talking a good couple of years right?

My current scedule is 3 times weights and 2 times 45min swimming a week.

I have wed off, and sat or sun is off as usually recovering from hang over.

This will work right as long as I am consitant?

Last edited:

Depends on what you start like and your goal.
Then add in your dedication, as you could be hitting the weights and spending as much time in the pool as you want but if the hard work isn't done it will take longer.

How do you look now and what's your goal physique?

Opethdisciple: I know you've been given a lot of advice over the past few months, and a lot of that advice is fundamental to how you undergo your proposed transformation.

The key thing you need is motvation because:

• You need to set your diet and stick to it;
  • You need to get your program and stick to it;
  • And swimming is either a crud excuse for an exercise (if you sit, bobbing around in the water for X minutes) or a great workout (if you actually come out the pool exhausted. And don't reach for a Mars Bar straight afterwards).
The answer to your specific question above is "it depends," based on Morba's response, as going from skinny to 'built' can take six months for people to notice a difference, but will take about 18 months for significant muscular development. Going from overweight/obese to a similarly ripped state can take longer as the flab has to come off, first, although fat people can have bigger muscles than the average sedate person.

I would strongly advise you to start a log of your starting position and post honest updates to it on a regular basis. This will help you stick to your goals and facilitate your 'transformation'.

Yes, logging can be disheartening when little progress is made, but it will help people help you (for instance, wihere you struggle to stick to something, or you haven't made the progress you hoped for/whatever).

Do it - you won't look back.

all this talk of lifting 200kg in the first 6 months of training is really making me doubt my deadlift ability :( i have been in the gym training since April 2011, i can only pull 150kg on deads.
My goals have been more about the look over the last 8 months so i expect that my progress regarding weights goes has been hampered a little, but 200kg in 6 months really?

I think it totally depends where you've come from. I've never been in to sports and started lifting after years of yo-yo dieting, hitting as little as 10.5st and having next to zero muscle on me. I've also spent my entire career working a sedentary office lifestyle. Nothing previous in my life has ever geared itself towards being naturally muscly or strong, so it's of no great surprise to me that progress will take me much longer.

Oh completely, there are some people who are just naturally strong for their day to day life and they are ignorant to that.
But then there are some people that just click with lifting and lift some impressive figures in their first year. You just gotta smile and be happy for them lol

I think it totally depends where you've come from. I've never been in to sports and started lifting after years of yo-yo dieting, hitting as little as 10.5st and having next to zero muscle on me. I've also spent my entire career working a sedentary office lifestyle. Nothing previous in my life has ever geared itself towards being naturally muscly or strong, so it's of no great surprise to me that progress will take me much longer.

Exactly the same, I'm seeing a lot more gains now that I've been at it a while.

Indeed. I've been "sporty" all my life. A dozen years of playing rugby. Lots of rowing. Squash and basketball were 2 massive sports in my life as well. As such, my body has probably developed a more resilient approach to exercise and probably deals with it better. However, weightlifting is a discipline in it's own sense.

I honestly believe in "**** the numbers" - as long as you improve, and you get better at doing what you do. i.e. even if your weights don't increase that much, if you're able to move them more efficiently, better form, and more reps or if it becomes "easier" - then so what? Numbers are numbers. Ultimately, although my numbers may not be as big as some, I have a tremendous amount of power, which, whilst not necessarily translated into my lifting, means that I can perform at 80% of my max with relative ease. Heck even ice said, that although he can now out lift me, he still thinks in a strongman type of event he feels I'd out perform him in some aspects (I doubt that but it's kind of him to say so).

Fundamentally, it is also down to genetics, some people will always be big boned, large mass type of individuals able to do certain things well. Some will be the same, but be totally opposite in their abilities. Some will be slim and waif like, but control phenomenal amounts of power / strength, relative to what they "look" like.

It's a bitch, but a more "alpha" male in the genetic sense, will with the same training, outperform a lesser male (in terms of genetic capacity). All things being equal in terms of diet, training intensity and so on. These are just the facts. It's not fair maybe, but that's nature.

It's up to you to define, what you're willing to achieve. I know I'll never hit 300kg on deads - I have the capacity for it I'm sure, but I don't have the will power, time, or dedication to do it. However, you may have the determination to do so and as such will achieve it - or you will also accept that there are some limits to your ability.

The world's strongest men, are all genetic freaks - sure there are artificial enhancements too - however, as a base, they are genetically superior in terms of muscle, size and ability. You can't judge yourself against someone else - it's just unfair on you.

Some people will be the strongest, some will be the brightest, some will be the more fertile... it's just the way of the world. Natural selection and so on.

As long as you give it 100% effort and you are patient and work hard you will progress. IT will be finite - make no illusions about that. However, so what? Just better yourself and keep at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom