*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Spelling mistake? :p

I don't know the guys medical history, I'm just going by memory.

You believe he has bad knees.

But you have no idea.

-----------------

You believe he has bad knees.

But you have no idea.

------------------

And again. You believe he has bad knees.

but you have no idea!!!!

Those are excuses for not trying hard enough, they are not limitations :)

I call them limitations as they are sacrifices i have to make as far as my training is concerned to keep my life balance in reasonable order. Consider them speed limits if you will.

There are somethings in life i put before my training, two of which are my wife and my daughter, so a couple of mornings a week i like to see my kid before she goes to school, help her get dressed and sort her breakfast etc, and i made a promise to my wife that most of the time i would be home after work in the evening (ie not going to the gym and training), again to spend the time with my daughter before bed.

everyones personal circumstances are different and i dont except everyone to think that the above is fair, but it is worthwhile to me to have certain "excuses".

Cheers Ice, much appreciated, I may review my goals at the end of the year and see where i want to be heading.

Last edited:
I call them limitations as they are sacrifices i have to make as far as my training is concerned to keep my life balance in reasonable order. Consider them speed limits if you will.

There are somethings in life i put before my training, two of which are my wife and my daughter, so a couple of mornings a week i like to see my kid before she goes to school, help her get dressed and sort her breakfast etc, and i made a promise to my wife that most of the time i would be home after work in the evening (ie not going to the gym and training), again to spend the time with my daughter before bed.

everyones personal circumstances are different and i dont except everyone to think that the above is fair, but it is a worthwhile "excuse" to have certain limitations.

3 sessions a week at 90 mins a go and not wanting to put any more fat on are not reasons to not lift heavier.
You don't need to be fatter to lift more. A lot of the strongest people on this forum arent fat.
You don't need to be in the gym every day to get stronger either.

Trust me, the excuses you are giving are not something that should be stopping you lifting heavier, if that is what you wished :)

Yes I have REAL issues with my knees.

Ruptured my ACL in my left leg about 6 years ago, and surgeon has put graft in 'non optimal position' leaving me with wonky knee and I have early onset artheritus in my right knee, due to cartilidge damage underneath the knee cap.

:mad:

So I'm getting it it from all directions.

So give me a break, im working with in my limitations.

Things which are a big no no, according to doctor, is running and squats.

My gripe was with Delvis posting something with authority then saying he had no idea, not with what he was actually saying :p

Whilst I'm no expert on knee issues though, I would say more often than not, neither are doctors :p

Yes I have REAL issues with my knees.

Ruptured my ACL in my left leg about 6 years ago, and surgeon has put graft in 'non optimal position' leaving me with wonky knee and I have early onset artheritus in my right knee, due to cartilidge damage underneath the knee cap.

:mad:

So I'm getting it it from all directions.

So give me a break, im working with in my limitations.

Things which are a big no no, according to doctor, is running and squats.

Diet? :)

On the flip side, another reason why doctors should occasionally be haddock-slapped...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11528346

The greater muscle activity and knee forces in the squat compared with the LPL and LPH implies the squat may be more effective in muscle development but should be used cautiously in those with PCL and PF disorders, especially at greater knee flexion angles. Because all forces increased with knee flexion, training within the functional 0-50 degrees range may be efficacious for those whose goal is to minimize knee forces. The lack of ACL forces implies that all exercises may be effective during ACL rehabilitation.

No ACL forced detected when squatting or during leg press. :rolleyes: for doctors. ;)

DO BEAR IN MIND, however, that squatting should ALWAYS be done under supervision for noobs, and with good coaching on form because if not, it can be pretty hard on the knees if done badly.

I would strongly suggest going to a proper strength/conditioning coach for help with this as they will get you sorted from both a dietary and workout perspective. They will be able to help you with your movements and limitations and get you working properly. :)

My gripe was with Delvis posting something with authority then saying he had no idea, not with what he was actually saying :p

Authority? :p

Just said that I believe he has actual issues with his knees as opposed to not wanting to do conventional cardio. Hence the 'no idea though', if you was around me enough you'd realise I say that instead of saying 'not sure/might not be true or fact'.

Anyway, back to my food.

Diet? :)

On the flip side, another reason why doctors should occasionally be haddock-slapped...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11528346

No ACL forced detected when squatting or during leg press. :rolleyes: for doctors. ;)

DO BEAR IN MIND, however, that squatting should ALWAYS be done under supervision for noobs, and with good coaching on form because if not, it can be pretty hard on the knees if done badly.

I would strongly suggest going to a proper strength/conditioning coach for help with this as they will get you sorted from both a dietary and workout perspective. They will be able to help you with your movements and limitations and get you working properly. :)

Squats are bad for my right knee. Cartalidge damage.

Also no need to argue over this, I'm not offended.

3 sessions a week at 90 mins a go and not wanting to put any more fat on are not reasons to not lift heavier.
You don't need to be fatter to lift more. A lot of the strongest people on this forum arent fat.
You don't need to be in the gym every day to get stronger either.

Trust me, the excuses you are giving are not something that should be stopping you lifting heavier, if that is what you wished :)

I think we have a case of slightly crossed wires. I was asking if 200kg was achievable for me within the next 6 months, given my stated "excuses/criteria", and if it was achiveable, how would i go about that.

My goals over the last 7 months have been to reduce bf and more recently add mass, so not really focused towards strength, but i was a little concerned about my progress, given that a number of members opinions i respect were saying that 6 months to 200kg is very achiveable, when i have only managed 150kg in 1 year 7 months :(, and i dont consider my training/diet/mentality to be that bad.

Maybe its time to stop messing about trying to look good and get back to lifting again...

I think you'll be surprised at the strain squats do not necessarily put on your knees.

It's not a question of going bananas with 200kg for reps or whatever, but more than "this stuff is not quite what you think."

Sure, bad form will ruin your knees, but no more/less than poor walking technique (i.e. foot and ankle positioning) and being overweight.

I'm not saying go out and sprint around a football field, but I am suggesting going past your perceived limitations and working with them. I don't want to turn this into a medical thread (despite my doctorate being in hip prostheses) so I would honestly suggest surfing PubMed and ScienceDirect so you can see that arthritis care (particularly osteo variation) is not what it was even ten years ago.

As far as I know, Opeth's only sources for knowing that "squats are bad for [his] right knee" are his Dr and his personal experience. No offence intended to anyone, but neither of these are reliable.

Regardless, your inability to squat (valid or not) is not what is limiting your progress towards a more aesthetic physique.

Maybe its time to stop messing about trying to look good and get back to lifting again...

Well you could matey, just depends entirely on whether or not you want to my strength based or aesthetics based.

Naturally if you go via the strength route you'll get their quicker as you already know :) you can however train with strength in mind and get a good physique out of it, as LiE has and does.

Well you could matey, just depends entirely on whether or not you want to my strength based or aesthetics based.

Naturally if you go via the strength route you'll get their quicker as you already know :) you can however train with strength in mind and get a good physique out of it, as LiE has and does.

These posts are exactly what ensure the word Delvis keeps getting used as a verb. You just reiterated sylas own thoughts in a waffling manner as though it's something new :x :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom