*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Quick question for the experienced lads here, how much aching do you have in your muscles after a good workout and for how long?

I ask because it seems no matter what, I never ache or feel sore anywhere close to how much I would after a game of footie for example, kinda feel like maybe I could be going wrong somewhere. I'm not expecting to be crippled for two days after every workout, but it does seem odd to feel almost no different an hour or two after each session.

At the risk of sounding rude........how long is a piece of string?

It totally depends, depends on when you last trained that muscle, the intensity, if it was new exercises you did, the amount of sleep you get, the food you're getting in you.

But with me, I'm usually sore in the legs for a good 2-3 days after a leg workout, but say with chest, I could be sore for longer if I really go balls to the wall

Remember, DOMS is never an indication of a good workout, it's always good if you get them, but don't assume because you're not that you're not making progress

kai

kai

Soldato
I put an official complaint in to the DW Gym last night on their comments form. I never complain but this was a mix of both me and my training partner’s thoughts that has escalated over a period of time.

1. Could staff stop eating McDonalds and KFC every evening in the member section; it’s so off putting, they have dedicated staff room and they all choose to have their dinners spread across the member only section; all you can smell is Junk all through training sessions. It's an health club, set an example!

2. Personal trainers, we had a really good PT who was helpful incredibly knowledge and actually cared, now he has left they have replaced him with the most overweight, lazy, most unhelpful person trainer I have ever seen! This is not me being nasty, but surely it’s not good representation for a club to have an overweight PT ? If he was knowledge that would be another matter but he does not have an actual clue!!!

A lady approached him on the weekend and asked could he help as it appeared the bench would not alter from incline to flat. He declined and said it was stuck, they will get it looked at!! I walked over in front of him and just declined it there and then as it was little stiff! You could see it was too much effort to get off his stool

Few other thing; I did breifly touch on include is people actually put the weight back after them and actually using the equipment as intended;

we have 3 full squat racks; two were being occupied most the night with guys doing bicep curls, while the other used it to perform dips between the two bars when we have an actually dipping machine assisted and unassisted!!!! Arhhhh!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Aye all annoying :(

The PT thing though, you don't have to be ripped to be a PT, you can be a complete lard, as long as you can give sound advice etc. This guy is obviously just a douchebag :p

dod

dod

Soldato
Ugh, my lower backs niggling me today for some reason

Mine's giving me some gyp too, and I know what caused it, straining on BOR's on Friday, felt it at the time.

Supposed to be doing legs tonight but I can't see me managing squats, maybe do chest instead, it needs work anyway :)

dod

dod

Soldato
Remember, DOMS is never an indication of a good workout, it's always good if you get them, but don't assume because you're not that you're not making progress

I never get doms on chest, pretty much always on legs and a strange sub-doms feeling on back, almost like the feeling you get when you rub on deep heat :confused:

Soldato
Well, whats your routine for example?

I tend to get doms etc the day after
Been finding my way since starting in November so it's varied, initially I was on a 4 day split, 3 sets 8 reps. Gave stronglifts a go for a couple weeks but prefer working over 4 days so am now doing a 4 day split again, 3 sets, 8/7/failure. At the time I don't ever feel like I could have done more on any given exercise, today I did 70kg squat, 106kg leg press (115kg for the final set), 115kg calf raises (124kg for the final set), 49kg seated leg curls. Not huge amounts, but for me they're about as much as I can do without failing each set.

At the risk of sounding rude........how long is a piece of string?

It totally depends, depends on when you last trained that muscle, the intensity, if it was new exercises you did, the amount of sleep you get, the food you're getting in you.

But with me, I'm usually sore in the legs for a good 2-3 days after a leg workout, but say with chest, I could be sore for longer if I really go balls to the wall

Not rude at all mate :).

Dunno, maybe I need to focus a bit more on increasing the weight, I already lift more on every single exercise than a couple months ago and never allow any individual exercise to get close to being easy. Even so, perhaps I still need to push on a bit more. Still not 100% sure I've found the right balance between sets/reps either tbh.

Soldato
cena_whistling_gif.gif

;)

Oi you! I bet you'd get just as worked up if it happened to you :p

Soldato
It's probably best that i didn't end up getting barred from the gym, or worse :/

Anyway i finally got out of bed lol :D Sitting in a chair isn't the best but after 18 episodes of scrubs i thought i should finally get up... Just gonna keep rolling on my hockey ball

Associate
I put an official complaint in to the DW Gym last night on their comments form. I never complain but this was a mix of both me and my training partner’s thoughts that has escalated over a period of time.

1. Could staff stop eating McDonalds and KFC every evening in the member section; it’s so off putting, they have dedicated staff room and they all choose to have their dinners spread across the member only section; all you can smell is Junk all through training sessions. It's an health club, set an example!

2. Personal trainers, we had a really good PT who was helpful incredibly knowledge and actually cared, now he has left they have replaced him with the most overweight, lazy, most unhelpful person trainer I have ever seen! This is not me being nasty, but surely it’s not good representation for a club to have an overweight PT ? If he was knowledge that would be another matter but he does not have an actual clue!!!

A lady approached him on the weekend and asked could he help as it appeared the bench would not alter from incline to flat. He declined and said it was stuck, they will get it looked at!! I walked over in front of him and just declined it there and then as it was little stiff! You could see it was too much effort to get off his stool

Few other thing; I did breifly touch on include is people actually put the weight back after them and actually using the equipment as intended;

we have 3 full squat racks; two were being occupied most the night with guys doing bicep curls, while the other used it to perform dips between the two bars when we have an actually dipping machine assisted and unassisted!!!! Arhhhh!

Small note on this... im a pt... but DW sports operate differently to other leading gyms... basically to put in short DW hire "fitness agents" who are lets just say the middle man. So fitness agents will do the whole process of finding pt's and bringing them in for interview and getting them a job so there is no recruitment process internally with them.

Problem with this is... Fitness agents main priority is QUANTITY over quality, so there is a mass amount of pt's flooding into the market at the moment, guys who have no clue who pay a ton of cash and for 5-6 weeks learn to be a pt without having any exp or knowledge.

So this leads to them really just giving "anyone" a job, this is why your seeing so many come and go, they have rent rates of around 500 pounds per month, and expect the "pt" to basically to start from nothing in that gym and try get as many clients as they can and pay the rent and make a living which really won't happen unless they are either v lucky or have the most amazing salesman skills in the world lol. Maybe over a few months they could build it up but it's a risk they would take.

So this is where you see it's all about a massive turnover than anything else, this is USUALLY why you see them just "come and go".

Im afraid the market of pt's is saturated to hell big time, there is very little opportunities now for pt's as there is far to many... it's all about money though that is why these companies offering you to do a course in 5-6 weeks for a couple of grand are exploiting it... and in turn the gyms have been littered with clowns who have absolutely no idea... It's a shame really but it happens in most industries. Look at door supervisors aka bouncers these days? most are pencil neck morons. I have a few friends who have no idea about any sort of restraint etc and weigh about 8-9 stone tops and got there badge to work on the doors just cause it's a job. Pathetic really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom