*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delvis, you talking about kiss? If so then yes they do have spare oly bars to DL with, and plenty of db's as well. Two power racks but you have to bench in the racks which is a bit of a pain, but as said, no one will be there at 6, and you can put catch bars on for extra safety :)
They might be doing some deal as well seeing as pure will be opening soon

I must say, gyms where other people train is a right pain...

That said, as I've already complained about many times, the gym near me seems to be full of bicep monkeys...

I only have an issue getting to the Smith (to squat), if there's people smith pressing in it, and even then it's rare that both are being used
We have a bench with olympic bar set up for benching, which is used quite often, then we have a spare olympic bar, which is barely ever used (fantastic for if I ever want to deadlift)... Then we have buckets of DB's which everyone seems to use to do various chest and arm stuff.

But yeah, it's only really the benches that I have issue getting to (despite us having 4...)

kd

Hi all, firstly thanks for your advice. So I've been digesting your recommendations and here's my options - just to make sure it's all in one place. It's either:

1. 3 day split - Chest/Triceps/Shoulder, Back/Biceps, Legs/Abs
  2. Vs.
  3. Strong lift - 5x5 3 days a week (limited deadlift up to 70KG and only smith machine squat)
  4. Vs.
  5. All body as suggested in earlier post

Gym facilities

Gym is cheap, but comes with up to 40KG DB and 70KG BB. No free weight bench press and no free squat (only a smith machine). I will probably change gym down the line and ensure they have free weights and support for squats.

Stats and diet

I'm 95KG 5 foot 8". Food/diet has significantly been turned around, hence dropping a lot of weight in 4 months. No supplements, apart from multi-vitamins and creatine.

Goal

My goal is to reduce the body fat first (what's the best approach for this and for how long, i.e. 3 day split, strong lift or all-body)? And then my next goal is to put on mass/size.

Hope that's much clearer.

Delvis, you talking about kiss? If so then yes they do have spare oly bars to DL with, and plenty of db's as well. Two power racks but you have to bench in the racks which is a bit of a pain, but as said, no one will be there at 6, and you can put catch bars on for extra safety :)
They might be doing some deal as well seeing as pure will be opening soon

Well, I was more referring to the PureGym you mentioned, looks alrite but I think it's the same as Kiss with regards to bench pressing. Sadly it's not open until Mid Jan

Hi all, firstly thanks for your advice. So I've been digesting your recommendations and here's my options - just to make sure it's all in one place. It's either:

1. 3 day split - Chest/Triceps/Shoulder, Back/Biceps, Legs/Abs
  2. Vs.
  3. Strong lift - 5x5 3 days a week (limited deadlift up to 70KG and only smith machine squat)
  4. Vs.
  5. All body as suggested in earlier post

Gym facilities

Gym is cheap, but comes with up to 40KG DB and 70KG BB. No free weight bench press and no free squat (only a smith machine). I will probably change gym down the line and ensure they have free weights and support for squats.

Stats and diet

I'm 95KG 5 foot 8". Food/diet has significantly been turned around, hence dropping a lot of weight in 4 months. No supplements, apart from multi-vitamins and creatine.

Goal

My goal is to reduce the body fat first (what's the best approach for this and for how long, i.e. 3 day split, strong lift or all-body)? And then my next goal is to put on mass/size.

Hope that's much clearer.

You probably don't need creatine for what you're doing... Try citrulline malate as this as been identified as potentially helping aerobic exercise.

Regarding the programme, any of those posted will be fine as long as you stick to them. :)

Squats went amazing tonight! I was looking at some Form videos for squatting in a power-lifting style. Decided to try a lower bar placement rather than just sitting it on my traps like I have been doing. It was much more uncomfortable on my back and trying to keep it there but when squatting it felt amazing! So much easier to drive up and it didn't feel like it was working my quads as much. Also tried doing some front squats and walking lunges for the first time.

5x52.5
5x65
3x80
5x95
3x107.5 Video 1
9x120 :-o Video 2

By far a new PB! Had no idea how many I was doing but I maybe could have pushed out another rep or two maybe. :D

Then went onto do

10x80
10x80 Normal bar positioning Video 3
10x80
10x40 (front squat)
5x60 (front squat)
5x60 (front squat) Can't hold the bar right but my arms had enough before my legs?
10x80
10x80

Usally at this point I would hardrly be able to walk and my quads would have very sore quads but I felt not bad! Amazing difference with the bar being an inch or two lower. Sore rear delts now tho :(

Walking lunged 3 sets up and down the gym with 25kg per hand. These were really hard on the glutes. Went onto do 5x10 of ab roll outs and some side bends on the pulley machine.

How do I embed videos?

Last edited:
Squats went amazing tonight! I was looking at some Form videos for squatting in a power-lifting style. Decided to try a lower bar placement rather than just sitting it on my traps like I have been doing. It was much more uncomfortable on my back and trying to keep it there but when squatting it felt amazing! So much easier to drive up and it didn't feel like it was working my quads as much. Also tried doing some front squats and walking lunges for the first time.

5x52.5
5x65
3x80
5x95
3x107.5 Video 1
9x120 :-o Video 2

By far a new PB! Had no idea how many I was doing but I maybe could have pushed out another rep or two maybe. :D

Then went onto do

10x80
10x80 Normal bar positioning Video 3
10x80
10x40 (front squat)
5x60 (front squat)
5x60 (front squat) Can't hold the bar right but my arms had enough before my legs?
10x80
10x80

Usally at this point I would hardrly be able to walk and my quads would have very sore quads but I felt not bad! Amazing difference with the bar being an inch or two lower. Sore rear delts now tho :(

Walking lunged 3 sets up and down the gym with 25kg per hand. These were really hard on the glutes. Went onto do 5x10 of ab roll outs and some side bends on the pulley machine.

How do I embed videos?
Like below, just remove the space in the youtube bracket.

[youtube ]qsf4DEmIkIc[/youtube]
[youtube ]xgZbBf1xI8c[/youtube]
[youtube ]I3AqY-XyFmg[/youtube]

Cheers Deception. :D

Just the way I have always done squats so it feels fine to me. Think I will be doing low-bar from now on, got decent hamstring strength and it might help me with deads with the extra hamstring work so it's a win win. :D

What do you guys thin of form? Hard to see it in the second video thou because of the spotter and the rack :(

Just watch the knees collapsing in I think? You need to really push them out sometimes :)

Yeah, really apparent that in the first video and the first few reps (Can't really see) of the second my knees are doing a circular motion inward. I think it's because my stance is a little wider, I'll try to focus on keeping them steady next week but its deload week :mad:

What do you guys thin of form? Hard to see it in the second video thou because of the spotter and the rack :(
Not the greatest bud!

The bad:
- knee collapse
- foot collapse
- seems like your spine flexes

The good:
- Strong!
- Pretty powerful movement patterns in places
- Great work ethic

Read through what I wrote about squats in the Exercise Guide thread, I'm pretty sure it covers all of your faults.

Also, start a log! I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I'd be interested in seeing more of your training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom