*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My gym has dumbbells up to 40KG and barbells up to 60KG (fixed). There's no bench frame so difficult to bench press barbell.

Goal is to drop body fat and eventually build muscle (size and strength). I'm more likely to stick to it if the plan is clear.

Are you asking for a plan?

I get what your saying now, and that felt so much better. Infact so much more on the back rather than the arms.

Will add straps to my list to buy, any ok? Or are specific ones better than others?

I assume these will do the job?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WEIGHT-LIFT...sr_1_2?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1354811662&sr=1-2

Cheap are fine for now, though once things get heavier cheap ones start to go wrong often or really cut into your wrists.

I use these now, though they are longer which is perfect for axle deadlifts also

Tonight:
axle cleans and some log incline bench.

nothing heavy, working on technique.

Lots of cleans and my chest isn't raw, isn't sore and i'm not hating it. Only a few small tweaks were made but its made the world of difference. Cheekily did some presses and easily repped 100, 105 and also done an easy equal pb 110.

log bench - as the fire was out of gas the unit was bloody freezing, so didnt do much of this.
70xlots
90xlots
100x10
110x5
120x2

fried chicken
chips
mince pies

a good session, happy with the cleans which will mean more energy for pressing :)

Are you asking for a plan?

Yes, please. I'm not enjoying the full-body workout as I'm needing quite a lot of rest and I struggle to finish all the exercise, hard.

Here's what I got so far:

6-8 Weeks.

Monday (Chest/tricep/shoulders)
Dumbbell Bench Press – 3x8
Incline Dumbbell Bench – 3x8
Skull Crushers – 3x8
Close Grip Bench Press – 3x8
Seated Dumbbell Military Press -3x8
Lateral Dumbbell Raises – 3x8

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)
Dead lifts - 3x8
Bent over one arm Dumbbell rows – 3x8
Barbell Bent-over-row -3x8
Under arm lat pull downs
Barbell Bicep Curl -3x8
One arm Dumbbell hammer Curls – 3x8

Friday (Legs/Abs)
Deficit bulgarian split squats
Leg Press -3x8
Leg Curls 3x8
Calf Raises-4x10
Abdominal workout (Crunches, leg raises, whatever)

Guys, what do you use to store your protein powders in?

I had an accident this morning lifting a large bag of the stuff off my top shelf and ended up covered in it and smelling of minty chocolate! Needless to say, i do not wish for it to happen again!

Abdominal workout (Crunches, leg raises, whatever)[/SIZE]

As has been said matey, for abdominal/core exercises, just do not do crunches. You will be better off doing things like planks/body saws, pallof press etc. :)

I had an accident this morning lifting a large bag of the stuff off my top shelf and ended up covered in it and smelling of minty chocolate! Needless to say, i do not wish for it to happen again!

:D:D:D

Sorry....Anything that seals the powder, so a flour jar, plastic tub that clips down. Most months I end up putting my powder in to a tub as the damn bag zip thing splits from myprotein

Yes, please. I'm not enjoying the full-body workout as I'm needing quite a lot of rest and I struggle to finish all the exercise, hard.

6-8 Weeks.

Skull Crushers – 3x8

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)
Dead lifts - 3x8
Under arm lat pull downs
Barbell Bicep Curl -3x8

Friday (Legs/Abs)
Leg Press -3x8
Leg Curls 3x8
Calf Raises-4x10

Change the skull crushers for dips, you will thank me in a years time :) other then that consider what others have said about core work. For a starting program, to get you in to things and to help you lose weight this is fine. However i would strongly consider changing gyms to somewhere that has a proper squat rack and bench.

1 year 5 months of dips instead of SK's for me:

Dips 30kg, really pleased with these

Also if its fat lose your after, consider this:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-8-week-hiit-for-fat-burning-program.html

15 mins at the end of each session is brutal, but it works :)

buy tubs from my protein, i use the 1.25 litre tubs i think (similar in size to the USN 2.25kg tubs i believe).

Last edited:
Smith machine for squats is generally a bad idea. You can do goblet squats or as ice said split squats.

It can be done to be fair, you just need to make sure your form is sorted. Admittedly the smith destroys a lot of the niceness of the Squat's stability work, but from a pure leg work side of things it can work.

That said, to be fair I'll probably swap out Smith squats for something like Gob squats or BSS once I get off of 5x5.

My point really is, whilst squatting in a Smith wouldn't be the first thing I'd queue up to do, it can be done, and don't just not do 5x5's just because you have to squat in a Smith...

6-8 Weeks.

Skull Crushers – 3x8

Wednesday (Back/Biceps)
Dead lifts - 3x8
Under arm lat pull downs
Barbell Bicep Curl -3x8

Friday (Legs/Abs)
Leg Press -3x8
Leg Curls 3x8
Calf Raises-4x10

Stronglifts 5x5 Spreadsheet

kd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom