*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great work on the DL's. I used to get so frustrated with Brighton Pure gym's lack of racks/BBs it was just way too busy to do any leg work.

Cheers :D

Yup, it's annoying. x2 Racks and x1 Smith. Loads of benches and more situp bench things than racks :mad:

I'll probably move gym in the New Year once I sort a new job, one of the guys at my current work is a tank and trains at the Warehouse up here which is very well kitted out for lifters.

We'll have to compete into the New Year as we seem to be at similar levels :D

Lost 10 pounds since my gym closed for 17 days.Just been swimming and running.Was glad to get back today.It looks amazing (been renovated).

I use the scales at the gym so was really surprised i lost that much weight in such a short amount of time.Also cut calories to 1800 and below.

In total i have lost 21 pounds in two months.

Is this real life?

Also, you've dropped heavy weight work because...?

Heh heh, yes it is real life, it's played in the town I live in and we are very proud of this game as you can see from the video there are a lot of spectators, people travel from all over the world to see it as it is a spectical.

Its very very taxing on the body (2 days at 8 hours play each day) normally hobbling around on the Thursday/Friday and Saturday afterwards.

Fitness is key for this game, so I am running at the moment at any chance I get, but I now want to train some sort of muscular endurance into my body, which links in to....

....It is always reccomended to change your regime every once in a while (8 to 10 weeks is my norm) but this current cycle of heavy weight training (3 - 5 reps) has probably been for 3 months now.

Apparently, big weights aren't great for fitness, and circuitz0rs are where it's at for Crosfit-style numbskullness. :rolleyes: :D

To be fair, if he's just running around a field (or series of fields) for a few days, then he/s probably better off mixing heavy weights with shuttle runs for standard, boring football fitness...

big weights do very little for my fitness, I occasionally go to 6 - 8 weeks of high(er) reps probably around 10 - 15 reps and I do notice a bit of a difference in fitness at the end of that cycle.

Using that logic I want to do a 6 week fitness/endurance cycle, not knowing much about muscular endurance/circuit work I came here asking.

But as usual I have to go through a valley of OCUk sarcasm before I (hopefully) get to any help

Just because my post count isn't as high as yours means I get spoken down to.

Heh heh, yes it is real life, it's played in the town I live in and we are very proud of this game as you can see from the video there are a lot of spectators, people travel from all over the world to see it as it is a spectical.

Its very very taxing on the body (2 days at 8 hours play each day) normally hobbling around on the Thursday/Friday and Saturday afterwards.

Fitness is key for this game, so I am running at the moment at any chance I get, but I now want to train some sort of muscular endurance into my body, which links in to....

....It is always reccomended to change your regime every once in a while (8 to 10 weeks is my norm) but this current cycle of heavy weight training (3 - 5 reps) has probably been for 3 months now.

big weights do very little for my fitness, I occasionally go to 6 - 8 weeks of high(er) reps probably around 10 - 15 reps and I do notice a bit of a difference in fitness at the end of that cycle.

Using that logic I want to do a 6 week fitness/endurance cycle, not knowing much about muscular endurance/circuit work I came here asking.

But as usual I have to go through a valley of OCUk sarcasm before I (hopefully) get to any help

a spectical is half a pair of spectacals and that makes no sense.

Strength training is very important in all sports however unlike a bodybuilder you must couple this with strong cardio vascular training. Bodybuilders avoid long periods of cardio to prevent catabolism. However this is not a huge issue in someone who wishes to develop improved strength and power for sport. All sports benefit from strength training regardless. However this does not mean spending 7 days in a gym lifting big weight. This means lifting big weight and THEN doing circuits and crossfit style training till your arse falls out of your head.

Dont get rid of strength training in your Regime add it and man up.

a spectical is half a pair of spectacals and that makes no sense.

Strength training is very important in all sports however unlike a bodybuilder you must couple this with strong cardio vascular training. Bodybuilders avoid long periods of cardio to prevent catabolism. However this is not a huge issue in someone who wishes to develop improved strength and power for sport. All sports benefit from strength training regardless. However this does not mean spending 7 days in a gym lifting big weight. This means lifting big weight and THEN doing circuits and crossfit style training till your arse falls out of your head.

Dont get rid of strength training in your Regime add it and man up.

I don't plan on "giving up" strength training, I am just going to take a break from heavy weights for 6 weeks.

I plan on still going to the gym 3 times per week just as I am now.
catabolism doesn't bother me as I am actually trying to lose BF atm anyway.

useful info to take from your post though, weights then cardio till I feel like dying.

i have been doing long heavy weights sessions then driving 30 minutes home and going for a jog with my dog but nothing extreme.

would it make sense now to drop the weight session down (time wise) and increase the cardio intensity/duration ?

i am normally in the gym for around 90 minutes, and take 2 minutes rest between sets.
If I cut my rest to 60 seconds up my reps to 12 - 15 reps I am likely to finish the same set of exercises in less time.

Power training is another area of interest that I haven't really put much research into in the past either.
The gym I have just joined is essentially a "spit and sawdust" type gym, they have recently put a "crossfit frame" up but I don't actually know how to use it, nor is anyone on it much.
They have a couple of tractor tyres (well biguns not quite tractor size though) and a sledge hammer, probably 4 punch bags hung up, 2 rowers, and I a step machine.

Also 3 different height "box jump" boxes

I know I can do something with this stuff, I have the general idea of what power entails but would rather "go in" educated than just blindly start jumping on boxes and hitting tyres with a hammer etc.

Nobody gives a crap about your post count.

All that's happened is that it's been suggested that the advice you were looking for isn't the advice you need. Take the comments in the light hearted fashion they were intended and let's move on.

I highlighted the part where you make some rather fuzzy assumptions. If you don't want to do weight training then fine, but there is no verifiable usefulness in dropping it. As UE says, strength work and conditioning work is what you need (hmmm, almost seems like there should be an entire industry built around that idea... ;)).

Nobody is trying to offend you, but sometimes you have to put up with people amusing themselves slightly as they offer advice, especially when it's free...

Nobody gives a crap about your post count.

All that's happened is that it's been suggested that the advice you were looking for isn't the advice you need. Take the comments in the light hearted fashion they were intended and let's move on.

I highlighted the part where you make some rather fuzzy assumptions. If you don't want to do weight training then fine, but there is no verifiable usefulness in dropping it. As UE says, strength work and conditioning work is what you need (hmmm, almost seems like there should be an entire industry built around that idea... ;)).

Nobody is trying to offend you, but sometimes you have to put up with people amusing themselves slightly as they offer advice, especially when it's free...

As I said it isn't something I am as knowledgable about like i am weight training.

What would you suggest ?

Well if I was you, I would want to be strong and powerful playing any sport. Add in conditioning and you have the best of both worlds. Think rugby player.

Rugby training would be the most sensible kind of training for this yes. Although bear in mind fitness plays a big part as a Rugby match is what 90 minutes ?
This game is 8 hours and the pitch is 3 miles long :D

Strength is not an issue, I am probably at the peak of strength for my entire life at this moment in time.
Power training is something that I need to bring in along with conditioning.

What I want to know is the best way to acheive that:)

Rugby training would be the most sensible kind of training for this yes. Although bear in mind fitness plays a big part as a Rugby match is what 90 minutes ?
This game is 8 hours and the pitch is 3 miles long :D

Strength is not an issue, I am probably at the peak of strength for my entire life at this moment in time.
Power training is something that I need to bring in along with conditioning.

What I want to know is the best way to acheive that:)

What do you think rugby players do?

Lift big weights, lots of shuttle-running/sprint work, play lots of rugby.

The point about lifting big isn't just to get very strong/powerful, but also to make sure the muscles adapt to being able to sustain repeated stress.

A circuits is just another name for dressing the above up into a programme that works in a gym or with a given set of equipment.

There is no point doing cardio work exclusively if - during a game of that 'football' - you're going to have to go wrestling. Your body won't be able to manage the anaerobic activity, build up a massive oxygen debt, and knock you flat on your back within minutes, for minutes, whilst it recovers the ability to go in for a near maximal contraction.

If you want to go cardio all the way, great. But it won't help what looks to be 80% of that video.

EDIT: I forgot about nutrition. You're going to have to eat like a horse to keep up 8hrs of activity. It does not matter how fit you are: you won't be able to do the above for 8hrs straight.

Last edited:
Anyone include rack pulls (partial deadlifts) in there routine? I always seem unable to lockout at the final part of the deadlift and heard rack pulls will help this. I currently deadlift around 140kg for 7 reps with straps. Should I not deadlift completley and focus on rack pulling for a couple of weeks?

Just watched the video of this 'sport' you're training for and I really don't know what to think. It looks like something you might do for a laugh but I couldn't take that serious. I also doubt a lot of those guys do much training to taking part, well maybe some guys who take it too seriously, but you get those types in most weird events.

Anyone include rack pulls (partial deadlifts) in there routine? I always seem unable to lockout at the final part of the deadlift and heard rack pulls will help this. I currently deadlift around 140kg for 7 reps with straps. Should I not deadlift completley and focus on rack pulling for a couple of weeks?

I'd first make sure your technique is good before looking at specific weaknesses. Post up a video of a heavy deadlift set and take it from there.

Also ditch straps, acquire chalk, wonder why you didn't do this before :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom