*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the video of this 'sport' you're training for and I really don't know what to think. It looks like something you might do for a laugh but I couldn't take that serious. I also doubt a lot of those guys do much training to taking part, well maybe some guys who take it too seriously, but you get those types in most weird events.

Link? :D

Watch-Out-We-Got-A-Badass-Over-Here-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-243.gif

Just looks like a load of hooligans acting like morons. I don't get it?

neither do I, but poster asked a question and got an answer he didn't want. :)

I personally don't see the point in training specifically for the 'sport' because it's somewhat irrelevant. Getting stuck in will get you knackered in the first hour and unable to push further on during the 8hr game.

Sit around and do nothing for 7hrs 30 minutes and go from there... training would involve going to the pub for at least 6hrs...

Last edited:
There are plenty of morons involved don't get me wrong with 1000 "players" on each team it would be hard not to have.

you are also correct in assuming that 8 hours play cannot be done without a lot of food, food and water are consumed throughout the day.

As for taking it seriously a lot of players take it very seriously, I am fitter than lets say 70% of the players but they are the ones that do little to nothing anyway it's the 30% that count.

There are effectivley 2 types of game you can play running and hugging, I am not ever going to be a runner those guys are insanely fast/fit nor do I intend to be, however fitness overall plays much more of a part in the game than strength, although I have noticed as the years have progressed my increased strength has helped no end, but the years I have been fitter are the years I have had a better game.

I don't expect you guys to understand it (most people don't) but it is our town tradition and has been running now for 350 years (we are led to beleiev the longest continous sporting event on earth) Although I am sure one of you will now go googling to prove me wrong.

I understand that circuits are just a dressed up name for cardio mixed with weights.

I personally don't see the point in training specifically for the 'sport' because it's somewhat irrelevant.

I don't expect you to see the point I just wanted a little help into what you guys think would help.

So if I said I wanted to train to be the best rugby player I can be what would you reccomend that I do.

I will be in the gym 3 times per week with access to the previous mentioned equipment.

What everyone is telling you is don't ditch the weights. Just do more cardio on top and eat like a king. This will get you the best results for the game overall.

If you want to improve all round then you will want to do more, not just change one thing for another.

As I said... most rugby players do big compounds for power and do shuttle runs.

If you know your way around weightlifting, simply carry on with squats, bench, DL and OHP, but on the 'off days' get busy with interval training.

Eat like a horse, too, as you'll need carbs and protein immediately after training with a big scoff a couple of hours after for recovery purposes ('swot I do, anyway, and it seems to help), and then just keep eating protein and healthy fats with carbs in balance for the rest of the day.

Finally, don't be so defensive about your sporting preferences because I - and I suspect most people on this forum - don't have an opinion on it, short of reacting to the video you posted. You've had two very experienced gym-ophiles explain what you need, and this is my third post in this regard, too, but you seem to want somebody to confirm what you want, rather than reading the advice given to you. :)

What everyone is telling you is don't ditch the weights. Just do more cardio on top and eat like a king. This will get you the best results for the game overall.

If you want to improve all round then you will want to do more, not just change one thing for another.

I think you guys may have misunderstood me.
I don't plan on ditching the weights, I am just not planning on going heavy (3-5) reps for the 6 weeks between Christmas and start of Feb.

I want to use weights to help with endurance/cardio.
The problem is I know how to do circuit/cardio work without weights, I know how to train for hypertophy or strength. I don't know much about combining these 2.

As I said... most rugby players do big compounds for power and do shuttle runs.

If you know your way around weightlifting, simply carry on with squats, bench, DL and OHP, but on the 'off days' get busy with interval training.

Eat like a horse, too, as you'll need carbs and protein immediately after training with a big scoff a couple of hours after for recovery purposes ('swot I do, anyway, and it seems to help), and then just keep eating protein and healthy fats with carbs in balance for the rest of the day.

Finally, don't be so defensive about your sporting preferences because I - and I suspect most people on this forum - don't have an opinion on it, short of reacting to the video you posted. You've had two very experienced gym-ophiles explain what you need, and this is my third post in this regard, too, but you seem to want somebody to confirm what you want, rather than reading the advice given to you. :)

This has been your most helpful post yet.

ANd I do not want someone to tell me I am right, I want someone to tell me what I don't know.

I simply said I was taking a break from heavy weights for 6 weeks, to be fair my body could do with a break from it as well.

So as far as the compund lifts go, they are in my training every week anyway.
You are suggesting I carry on with them, I would like to drop the weight off now and go for a 12 - 15 rep range instead of the 3 - 5 I have been doing.
Do you see any problems with this ?

I for one don't do less than 5 reps, just don't see the point or get any crazy pump from it. On the other hand I don't bother with such a high rep range unless I'm warming up or nailing a drop set right at the end of a session.

Stick with 6-8 to enusre you have some volume and get to lift a good % of your max.

I don't plan on ditching the weights, I am just not planning on going heavy (3-5) reps for the 6 weeks between Christmas and start of Feb.

The problem is I know how to do circuit/cardio work without weights, I know how to train for hypertophy or strength. I don't know much about combining these 2.

You made a comment about doing higher reps/lighter weight so that you were finished with the weights in less time.

You want to do more training in total to get the best benefits for the game. Stick with heavy weight/llow reps, and do extra cardio.

Alternatively, if you don't like the advice that has been offered by man very knowledgable people on these boards, then ignore it and do what you think is best.

This has been your most helpful post yet.

ANd I do not want someone to tell me I am right, I want someone to tell me what I don't know.

I simply said I was taking a break from heavy weights for 6 weeks, to be fair my body could do with a break from it as well.

So as far as the compund lifts go, they are in my training every week anyway.
You are suggesting I carry on with them, I would like to drop the weight off now and go for a 12 - 15 rep range instead of the 3 - 5 I have been doing.
Do you see any problems with this ?

He said exactly the same as everyone else, just using more words...he didn't say do crazy reps to become fitter. You will need to do more overall, cardio on your off days instead of your just resting, and eat lot more to help with recovery.

He said exactly the same as everyone else, just using more words...he didn't say do crazy reps to become fitter. You will need to do more overall, cardio on your off days instead of your just resting, and eat lot more to help with recovery.

Give me some credit: I tried to use a lot fewer words the first time I explained it. :D

But this is the thing,
I need more words, more explanation, more understanding
This is what I was actually asking for, spoecific exercises or routines that would work.

go running isn't helpful really, go running for 30 minutes at 50% pace include lots of hills is much more helpful to me.
Do that make sense ?

My reason for 3 - 5 rep range is that I am not bothered too much about hypertrophy and after a bit of research it seemed that roughly

3 - 6 = strength
6 - 12 = hypertrophy
12+ = endurance

My comment about spending less time in the gym if I went for higher reps was not because of the reps but because of the reduced rest period.
If I keep the same number of sets the same but cut the rest period between each set I am going to be in the gym for less time it's basic maths ?????

But this is the thing,
I need more words, more explanation, more understanding
This is what I was actually asking for, spoecific exercises or routines that would work.

go running isn't helpful really, go running for 30 minutes at 50% pace include lots of hills is much more helpful to me.
Do that make sense ?

My reason for 3 - 5 rep range is that I am not bothered too much about hypertrophy and after a bit of research it seemed that roughly

3 - 6 = strength
6 - 12 = hypertrophy
12+ = endurance

My comment about spending less time in the gym if I went for higher reps was not because of the reps but because of the reduced rest period.
If I keep the same number of sets the same but cut the rest period between each set I am going to be in the gym for less time it's basic maths ?????

I wonder if a all-body workout (circuit style/minimum rest) might be up your street? Essentially it's one or two compound moments per body part. Something like this: http://www.muscletech.com/resources/features/full_body_workout/index.shtml

I understand the basic maths, no need for the sarcastic responses, but changing from low reps to high reps so that you can take shorter rests and be in the gym for less time is not the answer for the question you initially asked about what would people suggest is the best thing for you to do to improve your overall fitness for this game.

The questions have been answered for you from a number of different angles leading to the same point.

Do your normal weight training (don't change a thing, of I'd you met drop stuff at least do the big compounds)
Do cardio on your off days to improve fitness, to really amp it up you can throw in all kids of crazy like inclined sprints, or just normal sprints rather then normal moderate intensity cardio.
Eat like a god/king/horse so that your body has plenty of fuel to allow you to push yourself closer to the limit for the next 6-8 weeks.

12+ reps is moving out of weight training and in to crossfit/cardio with weights. Which in itsself is great for the endurance aspect of what you are looking for but you remove a big portion of the strength element of your training, when you will benefit more (in my opinion) then dropping it.

If I was you, and really keen on being in the top 10% of players for this game, for training I would do 5 days a week, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, weights low reps heavy weight for the big compounds, 6-8 reps for the assistance stuff. Tuesday, Thursday cardio/crossfit/circuits to really boost up your endurance.

Saturday / Sunday rest and eat give the body time to recover and hit it hard during the week.

+ a few other posts I can't be bothered quoting...

Huh?

Your assumption that you shouldn't "go heavy" is false.

Your assumption that circuits have to involve weights is false.

Your assumption that 12+ reps trains endurance is, largely, false.

Your assumption that your body needs a 6 week break from low reps is false.

Noticing a pattern?

This is why we are having a problem.

A stronger athlete is able to be more efficient, and is able to more effectively build other training qualities such as endurance.

Do a proper weights routine, and also do a proper cardio routine. This can include circuits if you want, which is as simple as building yourself a sequence of taxing exercises (mrthingy has mentioned shuttles several times).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom