*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
An American Dennis Pennis :D

Anyone know how to prevent golfers elbow? Seem to suffer from it when benching more than once a week, which I'm currently doing, but I don't get it any other time which indicates it's not a form issue :(

Last edited:
Soldato
SL 5x5 is a solid plan, provided you are doing all of the exercises correctly.

Ideally, you need a gym. Otherwise you are looking at spending a LOT of money on equipment. Argos stuff just won't do.

Not many people follow "diet plans" they've found, it's more common to build one yourself. Step 1 is to work out the quantities of macronutrients in your current diet, and adjust from there. Have a look in the nutritional info thread, there is a link in the sticky.
Ok thanks mate :) i really need someone who does go to the gym to come along otherwise i could end up doing it wrong. Will have to ask around.

Ok, what am i looking for in a gym haha. There is a few near me but what sort of equipment or are they all similar?

Will check that out. Thanks mate.

Last edited:
Soldato
Olympic bars and plates.

Squat rack and a Power rack (preferably) and a Bench for bench press etc.

Will have a look at some places now.

I have just read through the 5x5 Guide and it looks good. Definitely the way to go for me? i basically just want to get rid of this stomach fat!

Caporegime

Will have a look at some places now.

I have just read through the 5x5 Guide and it looks good. Definitely the way to go for me? i basically just want to get rid of this stomach fat!

The stomach fat will come down in time, you can't just take fat away from one place...Naturally :)

5x5 from what I know is a good starting point, it helps build up your initial strength, also due to you progressivly adding more weight each week it gives you something to look forward to.

With time you should start to see some physical changes, once you have done the 5x5 routine for a while, sit back and analyse how things have gone, then see what you want to do...Continue with strength gains primarily or chisel away and add some nice mass :)

I'm by no means 'experienced', but hopefully it makes some sense and some other guys in here will be able to chip in :)

EDIT: I'd recommend getting a scrap book as well, so you can note down what you do each session, how your body reacts to certain weights (any pains etc or anything) and anything else that happens...Always good to have something to refer to

Last edited:
Soldato
Did anyone else doing IF find it difficult to maintain gains?

I found I lost some fat - probably due to the fact I cut some calories - but I really plateaud badly on stronglifts :(

I've tried eating a lot more in January and actually cut down on some cardio that I had been doing to try and improve my lifting. I've gained some mass but also a bit around my waist which I don't want to get out of control, so I'm thinking about going back to IF, but don't want to go back to not making any progress :(

dod

dod

Soldato
Ouch!!

Did legs tonight, the AR7 programme again with 50kG squats. 110 squats plus 10 at the end for a nice round 6 tonnes :) Bloody colds taken more out of me than I thought though, had to rack it half way through the 6's :(.

5X10 X35kG Hamstring curls and
5X10X40kG single leg extensions supersetted with double leg extensions to finish :)

Then I did 4 sets of bicep curls :D

Caporegime
Yeah, I know that's the idea - I was never too sure about how many calories to take in either, found it wasn't too clear from the site :confused:

You consume the same amount of calories you normally do I thought? There are a couple of members on here doing it currently, hopefully they'll swing by.

I'm not entirely sure how the body works by training in a fasted state...ie if it burns more calories or what not. Basically it depends if you're bulking or cutting really...Again it depends what you personally need macros wise as well.

Associate
There's nothing inherently magical about IF - you lose weight because you eat fewer calories. If you're finding that the IF regime doesn't fit within your lifestyle and training style, ditch it. But just make sure you're hitting your calories and macros.

The main thing being that don't expect miracles in strength work when dieting.

Also, in my experience, Strong Lifts is terrible for progression. I've seen so many times people plateau early. Starting Strength tends to get better results from what I've seen. There's not really any hard data out there on it, but 3x5 just seems to "work better" than 5x5 (across). Though, if you're dieting, the 5x5 may enable to you to get more work done, maybe at the cost of strength.

Soldato
You consume the same amount of calories you normally do I thought? There are a couple of members on here doing it currently, hopefully they'll swing by.

I'm not entirely sure how the body works by training in a fasted state...ie if it burns more calories or what not. Basically it depends if you're bulking or cutting really...Again it depends what you personally need macros wise as well.

Yeah, I think the practicalities of it didn't help me which meant my diet probably wasn't ideal - if i'm training in the evening I'd probably have to go with the two workout meal method:
12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Meal one. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
4-5 PM: Pre-workout meal. Roughly equal to the first meal.
8-9 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).

I guess I could stick to a normal lunch that way and bring some kind of tuna salad or something in to have before I leave work which could work, but then a pretty massive meal in the evening post workout to make up the calorie intake could be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom