*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
For those of you doing stronglifts 5x5...what weight did you start struggling with your OHP.

I've hit 35kg today and while I managed my 5x5, I think when I do 37.5 next time, it's gonna result in some failed reps.

OHP is always the first to go with stronglifts, so don't feel weak, happens to nearly everyone.

I started OHP at 10KG because I knew it would get maxed too quick. I'm starting week 7 soon, 32.5KG OHP, no fails yet, but feeling it - so similar to yourself.

But remember, you've not failed a set until you've failed it!

Worth form checking your OHP if its getting tough, tight glute/legs, vertical forearms, no bend in wrists etc

Soldato
For those of you doing stronglifts 5x5...what weight did you start struggling with your OHP.

I've hit 35kg today and while I managed my 5x5, I think when I do 37.5 next time, it's gonna result in some failed reps.

was on 45kg for a while but it was more of mental block than physical.. so I just started increasing the weight and got to 55kg but that was on 5sets 6reps/set.. - haven't been doing BB press for a while now, 22kg on dumbbell shoulder press now though.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies guys, glad i'm not alone.

I can feel the other exercises getting more difficult but reckon I have a few weeks before I hit a wall with them.

My form is good on OHP I believe, knee's locked out, tight glutes, no banana back.

Strangely today with all that strain on the OHP yesterday, my shoulders have no ache at all.

Soldato
How quick it is to lose performance, stamina and endurance.

Have been doing great recently. Sort of reached my maximum lifts and working on squeezing the odd extra rep here and there, and about a month or so off a cut. (Fatty :p)

Get sinus issues from time to time, but fight through it usually and keep lifting. Was in the gym on Monday and Tues and did great. Woke up Wed morning with a terrible pain where the nose meets with the throat. This to me is the beginning of a sinus infection. Either it goes away after a few days or it gets worse.

This time it got worse. Wed is my day off so wasn’t too bad. But felt terrible on Thu. Lost appetite, felt weak, pain in the forehead etc. Took the day of work and didn’t train.

Went in to work on Fri, but still felt terrible so skipped Fri session.

So basically I only lost 2 sessions. Went in today to do my Mon session as work Xmas party tomorrow which would mean I cant train.

Blimey! That was horrible. Same weights as before, but my stamina and endurance was shot. Arms started to feel heavy and fatigued after just two exercises. I feel like I’m going to have terrible doms tomorrow. It's funny how just a few days off and I can lose so much endurance...

Associate

Failed every set last time at 37.5kg as I said above, well today on my attempt at 37.5 I nailed it with 5x5 :D

That's when you really notice an increase in stength, when you can barely shift the weight and then a few days later manage it no problem.

Spotted someone on bench today, then knocked out my third set of squats like they were nothing, the other sets were a bit more of a struggle. Was a bit surprised by that.

Soldato
Mate, don't come and 'help' me lift off the bar on the bench. I can pull it out with my lats just fine. I don't want it lifted up so far I lose scapular retraction and get pulled off the bench. And don't touch the bar unless the bar starts going back down. Christ.

Man of Honour
It's because you were ill, and your body's probably still in recovery, not that you've missed a couple of sessions. I know my lifts feel better if I've taken a week rest (and not being ill)!

This. I've been suffering so much due to illness this past week and a bit. Starting to recover now finally but my endurance and strength is still shot.

Soldato
Pain isn't good, but is normally the result of:

- Poor form;
- Bad shoulder mechanics.

The latter is generally a result of too much benching and not enough back and rotator cuff work, meaning the hsoulder doesn't move properly and puts pressure/stress in the wrong places.

Decided to drop my max dumbbell press to 35kg. My form remains at it's best with this weight. Any higher and things get a little uneven.

Associate
Been having a bit of pain in my right knee lately. Only happens when my leg is completely straight, and is across the bottom of the kneecap, sometimes up the outside edge as well. I can walk and squat with no pain or discomfort. :confused:

Man of Honour
Been having a bit of pain in my right knee lately. Only happens when my leg is completely straight, and is across the bottom of the kneecap, sometimes up the outside edge as well. I can walk and squat with no pain or discomfort. :confused:

Cool story bro. Go and get it checked by a professional if it's worrying you ;)

Soldato
Anyone tried MyProteins new pre-workout formula called MyPre? Tempted to try it but after giving impulse a try I was very disappointed, Ribena gave me a better kick!

Man of Honour
Anyone tried MyProteins new pre-workout formula called MyPre? Tempted to try it but after giving impulse a try I was very disappointed, Ribena gave me a better kick!

It doesn't look like a bad blend to be honest, although you'll need to buy some separate Creatine and Beta Alanine to supplement on non useage days to get the most from it.

Soldato

will get it delivered today :) was like 17quid for the box with 30% off, code "BRANDNEW"

will give it a shot and see how it is, looks alright, most of the pre-workouts taste like hell but hopefully this is a bit different! best tasting I've had was c4 somethingsomewhere rage, pump, testosterone booster, natural steroid enhancer bomb... - the usual.

Back
Top Bottom