*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
...and steroids are just one of those things that people do at the gym that seems to make some guys think they can do anything. It might be different where you live but most people on the gear where I live are jumped up *****s. The very reason most of them are on it is because they're self concious and want to be bigger than everyone.

As I said penises are penises steroids or not, my home town is a horrible little place full of prats on steroids but they are all the same people who were the angry kids when we were all at school.

Soldato
...and steroids are just one of those things that people do at the gym that seems to make some guys think they can do anything. It might be different where you live but most people on the gear where I live are jumped up *****s. The very reason most of them are on it is because they're self concious and want to be bigger than everyone.

What we're saying is more that correlation doesn't equal causation, and that "jumped up *****" are more inclined to use and act out because of it simply because of their personality type.

Of course, it goes to some people's heads, but placebos do the same thing, because they THINK something will happen, they act as if it is going to or actually happening.

Soldato
9r21hf.jpg

For the rest:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153272341

alx

alx

Soldato
Moved to the Greyskull LP routine recently (2x5, 1xAMRAP), enjoying it so far!

Although struggling a bit with high rep deads, did 210kg for 1 a few weeks ago but only managed 165kgx5 on Weds (my 5 rep max is 180kg).

Not sure if it's because I'm now doing them last in the routine, I'm not used to doing 5+ reps or it's because the couple of deadlift workouts I've had I've not been totally 100% (getting used to the higher squat volume as well) - will persevere, as long as I get 5 reps it's all good!

Soldato
I have a few questions if someone could answer for a noob like me.

I have put on a stone around my stomach from Ocktoberfest and laziness.

I'm planning on swimming 4-5 days a week with a healthy diet of Fruit, eggs, chicken, rice etc.

My question is, should I swap a couple of them days for some days in the gym? Heavy weights? Cardio? Light weights - more reps?

My goals isn't really to get "big" I just want to be lean. I'm 5' 9" 77kg

Man of Honour
I have a few questions if someone could answer for a noob like me.

I have put on a stone around my stomach from Ocktoberfest and laziness.

I'm planning on swimming 4-5 days a week with a healthy diet of Fruit, eggs, chicken, rice etc.

My question is, should I swap a couple of them days for some days in the gym? Heavy weights? Cardio? Light weights - more reps?

My goals isn't really to get "big" I just want to be lean. I'm 5' 9" 77kg

Abs are made in the kitchen is the saying so make sure your diet is nailed and then I'd look at doing something like Stronglifts alongside your swimming so you don't end up skinny fat.

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Don't worry you won't get even close to big by accident.

Man of Honour
Don't forget that the health benefits of lifting weights are also very well understood and researched. Even if you're not doing it too intensely or lifting big weights, you will still reap the benefits from the act of lifting weights.

Associate
So I've made a return to basketball this Season. Training once a week and usually have a game another day. Feel like I am getting a decent enough cardio workout from it. But I have been neglecting my gains and not been lifting for a good few months now.

Last thing I was doing was Stronglifts but my gym was god awful and only had a smith, causing some back issues, hence why I wrapped it in.

I have recently joined a new gym with plenty of equipment. Should I return to Stronglifts? Or is squatting in excess and playing basketball twice a week going to result in a burnout?

Any recommendations on a plyometric/strength workout?

Man of Honour
OP
So I've made a return to basketball this Season. Training once a week and usually have a game another day. Feel like I am getting a decent enough cardio workout from it. But I have been neglecting my gains and not been lifting for a good few months now.

Last thing I was doing was Stronglifts but my gym was god awful and only had a smith, causing some back issues, hence why I wrapped it in.

I have recently joined a new gym with plenty of equipment. Should I return to Stronglifts? Or is squatting in excess and playing basketball twice a week going to result in a burnout?

Any recommendations on a plyometric/strength workout?

Stronglifts with other power movements (assuming you have a decent coach) like power cleans/snatch is perfect for basketball.

With regards to burnout, I'm not sure on your frequency because I suspect a typo, but squatting twice a week, and two games twice a week isn't necessarily impossible...

With regards to plyometrics, look at depth jumps,broad jumps, etc. for that there stretch reflex skillset. :) You shouldn't use plyometrics too mcuh as the adaptations are slightly different to strength training, and it's easy to get them wrong and miss the point.

Associate
Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I'm best off getting back in to Stronglifts, is there a best way to gauge where to pick up from after having a break from lifting?

I think I may be in for some beginner gains/doms since I haven't been in awhile.

Power Cleans and Snatches will be a new one for me so will be sure to perfect form first.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the advice.

Looks like I'm best off getting back in to Stronglifts, is there a best way to gauge where to pick up from after having a break from lifting?

I think I may be in for some beginner gains/doms since I haven't been in awhile.

Power Cleans and Snatches will be a new one for me so will be sure to perfect form first.

Spend a week working out where you're at then use those numbers to build your SL routine and personally I'd avoid oly lifts unless you have access to a coach that knows what they're doing.
They are very technical lifts, very easy to get wrong and very easy to igraine some really bad movement patterns.

Back
Top Bottom