*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
The new customer bundle is an absolute steal, especially with the 20% off code I posted in the FB group.
£55 for 5kg chicken, 10 160g rump steaks, 3kg very lean beef mince, 6lt egg whites, and some free prawns and venison.

Soldato
Trying to add extra calories in the last few months of this bulk before i start cutting for summer again, but need to think of extra food to eat to continue with my gains but not put on too much fat like I always usually do. Any ideas for good afternoon snacks?

Soldato
I've bought some lifting straps, purely because my forearms give-in one some exercises before the muscle i'm training does. I've just read, that straps can hinder grip strength but wanted to get views from here.

Man of Honour
There is nothing wrong with using straps long as you only use them when you need to. Don't be that guy who uses them all of the time.

You can also work to address your grip deficit by doing things like static holds. I've always found that these increase grip strength very quickly.

Soldato
Another 'only use straps for RDLs' guy. My grip strength on deadlifts (creeping closer to 2x bw/kg) has never been an issue, at least once I started using chalk.

I borrow the gym's ones atm but they're crap, thinking of getting my own. Like the look of either the Ironmind Short and Sweet or the Sew Easy ones, although feedback on proper straps welcome.

Man of Honour
Another 'only use straps for RDLs' guy. My grip strength on deadlifts (creeping closer to 2x bw/kg) has never been an issue, at least once I started using chalk.

I borrow the gym's ones atm but they're crap, thinking of getting my own. Like the look of either the Ironmind Short and Sweet or the Sew Easy ones, although feedback on proper straps welcome.

Straps are straps the bodybuildingwarehouse ones are about 3 quid and absolutely fine.

Soldato
My friend who recently started at the gym with me is really struggling with Squats. Keeping his heels on the ground he can get nowhere near parallel. The only way to even get close to getting parallel is by lifting his heels. Are there any tips I can give him? This is the same even without weights Btw.

Soldato
My friend who recently started at the gym with me is really struggling with Squats. Keeping his heels on the ground he can get nowhere near parallel. The only way to even get close to getting parallel is by lifting his heels. Are there any tips I can give him? This is the same even without weights Btw.

99% a mobility issue, for which there is a thread with advice on how to become more mobile.

Man of Honour
And also a delicious form thread, which is worth a read.

From the sound of it, he is going to be pretty tight everywhere. Adductors, hamstrings, glutes, quads, and ankles.

Soldato
Chicken isn't quite as cleanly trimmed as MF so there's a little more fat but apart from that it's just as good and cheaper so a win win.
Tucked into one of their rump steaks last night and it was spot on.

Could you trust me dat code? :p

Also, what are rump steaks like? I'm not too clued on my cuts of beef.

I know where they come from, but I don't have much steak eating experience as I mainly eat chicken and lamb.

Associate
Originally Posted by tom_e
Chicken isn't quite as cleanly trimmed as MF so there's a little more fat but apart from that it's just as good and cheaper so a win win.
Tucked into one of their rump steaks last night and it was spot on.
Could you trust me dat code? :p

Also, what are rump steaks like? I'm not too clued on my cuts of beef.

I know where they come from, but I don't have much steak eating experience as I mainly eat chicken and lamb.

Same here if its not to much trouble :)

Associate
Can anyone help with my earlier question?

I'm soon to be starting a exercise routine after having my tummy tuck (7 weeks post op now) and have looked over Steedies guide it's looks great and will be using it for sure but how much do I start out lifting? I might of missed sorry :)

Thanks

Caporegime
How much do you start?

That all depends on each individual, start with the bar and work your way up till you find a working rate. Always start low though, no need to be hitting your rep maxes when starting out. Work at something you can learn your form with and make an easy progression rate and you'll find things a whole lot easier in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom