*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
So heres my predicament, i work 12hr night shifts from 7pm to 7am on a 4 on 4 off rotor, it takes me 1hr each way to travel to and from work so thats a 14hr day before i can even think about doing any form of exercise, add to the equation that i take my missus to work most days when i get home, then have a bit of breakfast when i get back, it leaves me about an hour to unwind and i usually get to bed around 11am, my alarm goes of at 4pm and i start the cycle again.
Is it possible/advisable to do a 4 on 4 off workout plan, that fits in with my work pattern, or is that to long a break between workouts ?

Or try to fit in workouts on my working days and risk burning myself out, with only limited sleep, i know that this is very subjective, but just wondered if anyone else is in a similar situation and how they deal with it.

Due to my work schedules long hours was thinking of starting a 4 day split routine, 4 days cardio, 4 days weight training, good idea :confused:

If so i need help setting up a routine for my lifting days to include all body parts, so arms, legs, chest, back.

I will be working out at home and have the following equipment, dumbells, barbell, bench, squat rack that includes dip, tricep bar, curl bar, and about 100kg in weights, i will also be getting a chin up bar as well.

So now i just need the exercises to do, any suggestions as to what will give me the best bang for buck, and what days i should train certain body parts, as soon as i get my program sorted im good to go!

Cheers
Dean

I work 12 hour rotating day/night shifts and my commute is about 90mins. I have to travel to a gym too. It can be done. That said, when I do nights I tend to only train the first day (i.e. before I have to go in) and once I wake up from my last night shift. I get less sleep than you!

You have the stuff you need to do a proper routine w/the big compounds in at home, which makes me jelly.

You can either make time and do a x3 a week type program where you're spacing training days out, or perhaps something like this:

(Work) Mon - train before work
(Work) Tues - rest
(Work) Weds - rest
(Work) Thurs - rest
(Free) Fri - train
(Free) Sat - train
(Free) Sun - rest
(Free) Mon - train
(Work) Tues - train before work
(Work) Weds - rest
(Work) Thurs - rest
(Work) Fri - rest
(Free) Sat - train
(Free) Sun - train
(Free) Mon - rest
(Free) Tues - train

Doing this you could do an upper/lower split (e.g. Lyle McDonald's Generic Bulking Routine is a classic template) where you can get away with consecutive training days (always do lower first though).

You can have either identical upper/lower workouts or dedicate one of the big lifts to each day e.g. I squat and deadlift on both my lower days but alternate which is the main movement, with the first day being heavy back squats and a lighter/less taxing deadlift (RDL) and the second being a heavy regular deadlift and lighter front squats and one of my upper days is bench/rows and the other is OHP/pullups, so everything gets hit x2 every 7-10 days even if the exercises are slightly different.

Last edited:
Soldato
So erm.....DOMS after squatting for the first time 2 days ago.

Cheers for the heads up guys :p It hurts to just touch my quads!

I guess being on a calorie deficit at the moment isn't helping the recovery or is this pretty normal for first time?

Got 5 a side football tonight, hoping it eases off while I warm up a little.

My next workout is tomorrow morning, is it ok to do squats again while I've still got this soreness?

Soldato

I guess being on a calorie deficit at the moment isn't helping the recovery or is this pretty normal for first time?

My next workout is tomorrow morning, is it ok to do squats again while I've still got this soreness?

Yes. Squat, and squat, and squat some more. Pray to squat God! I squat every other day. The best way to beat DOMS is to go again :p

Soldato

I don't think it matters what you're eating, the first time after you've properly squatted for the first time = stairs? no thanks jeff. I could barely get up off the toilet. Squat again, you'll be fine.

You'll make newbie gains even on a cal deficit (it won't last forever though) so I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Man of Honour
So I'm finally going to start doing running... How can I best do this to not 'lose my gains'?

I was thinking of (as painful as it sounds) running after beefcake sessions. Probably couch to 5k so it would be extremely low impact to start with.

Any thoughts/tips? I'll spam the running thread at some point also.

Man of Honour
OP
Depending on how you want to end up (I.e. Mo Farah style?) my preference would be to run on my off/rest days to help circulate blood around those DOMS-ridden muscles.

Now if you are pushing the running hard, this will detract from your important :)D) gains by sapping energy and introducing different muscle fatigue.

Ultimately, however, see what works. :)

Edit: and be prepared for a spiralling food bill! ;)

Soldato
Yes. Squat, and squat, and squat some more. Pray to squat God! I squat every other day. The best way to beat DOMS is to go again :p

This guy speaks the truth. Show DOMS who's boss by squatting it away.

I don't think it matters what you're eating, the first time after you've properly squatted for the first time = stairs? no thanks Jeff. I could barely get up off the toilet. Squat again, you'll be fine.

You'll make newbie gains even on a cal deficit (it won't last forever though) so I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Showed them who was boss this morning! Pretty hard going but feel better for it now. The pain is actually quite enjoyable. Makes a difference from the usual knocks, aches and pains I get from a football match.

Managed to increase weights on my second workout, to be honest I had no idea of how much weight to do on the deadlift, I could have done quite a lot more.

Updated log here : http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18572719

Back
Top Bottom