*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

brb don't tend to bench with clips.

brb don't tend to squat with clips.

brb don't tend to ohp with clips.

brb don't tend to deadlift with clips.

brb don't clips.

It does kind of depend on the bar/plate combo. Some are like they've been greased up with butter.

In general I'd recommend people clipping up for squats and OHP for safety reasons. Bench shouldn't cause problems unless you do something weird (it's actually safer to NOT use clips if you're benching without a spotter, so you can tip the weights off), and for everything else it's just a matter of the whether the plates move enough to be annoying.

Back to clips (apologies) I onlynlift with them at work to protect the floor from errant plates that might slide off the bar. I never bother at home, because it is always a fun test of muscular/pattern imbalance to see whether one side rises/twists at a different rate to the other.

My former lifting coach told me off for putting clips on and explained the above reasoning. I like it.

Damn you bunch of no clips ***** I was stretching out next to the squat rack while some douche was no clip benching, cue me having to ninja catch a 10kg plate to save my foot and grab the bar to stop the weights the other side slipping off.

Damn you bunch of no clips ***** I was stretching out next to the squat rack while some douche was no clip benching, cue me having to ninja catch a 10kg plate to save my foot and grab the bar to stop the weights the other side slipping off.

Seen a mate no clip squat, plates falling off everywhere with him doing some crazy dance, shouting, trying to not fall over :p

1252.gif

:D
Ive just started doing these again for rehab after recovering from two ruptured disks. I prefer to do them after a chest and arm workout which makes them a bit more interesting and difficult. Doing situps was causing me all kinds of problems.
I think you should really consider going to see a physio for some proper rehab.

Situps are absolutely terrible, and planks for max time are equally bad.

The foolish decision there was to stretch next to someone lifting!

I use clips on squat and DL, as that makes sense to not have the plates sliding about. On bench though I don't clip because I often have to bench alone without anyone to assist me.

The foolish decision there was to stretch next to someone lifting!

I use clips on squat and DL, as that makes sense to not have the plates sliding about. On bench though I don't clip because I often have to bench alone without anyone to assist me.

Nothing to worry about, I had to roll 115kg off a few weeks ago, stand up with it and put it back like nothing happened.. :p

I'm going from cut to a bulking programme at the end of January. Gone from 82kg to 78kg with no loss in strength on my top sets.

This was 1,600kcal R 2,500kcal T on LGIF.

Any advice for the transition to lean bulk? Any of you use LG with it or shall I just follow a simpler diet and aim for 2,800kcal/day?

Psychologically I love LG because although you have to be strict on rest days, training days you can pig the hell out without screwing up your overall diet. I am however worried that cycling calories as with LG will hamper muscle growth. Or is that rubbish?

Back
Top Bottom