*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
Do you need cardio?

If you're doing a fair bit of cycling anyway, unless you're aiming to lose weight or be fitter in a cardio sense then I'd just drop the cardio completely and concentrate on weight training.

Or add in more cycling if you find you need/want more cardio?

Yeah, I want to gain a bit of fitness for the cycling to be honest. The issue is I just don't have the time to fit going to the gym and then to go out cycling, and I actually enjoy the cardio work, sad ain't I?

Anyway, I tried both the goblet squats today. I did the first 2 sets without any weights and the last set with a 5kg plate. It felt okay and I have no pain in my knee, so we will see how we go.

As for the rollouts, although I am new at using free-weights etc to build muscle, I used to go to the gym a while ago, and did rollouts then. I can do planks, but feel I get more from the rollouts.

I will get my new, simplified, hopefully less crazy-dangerous workout up tomorrow for someone to give me their opinion on if that's okay?

Caporegime
Yeah, I want to gain a bit of fitness for the cycling to be honest. The issue is I just don't have the time to fit going to the gym and then to go out cycling, and I actually enjoy the cardio work, sad ain't I?

Anyway, I tried both the goblet squats today. I did the first 2 sets without any weights and the last set with a 5kg plate. It felt okay and I have no pain in my knee, so we will see how we go.

As for the rollouts, although I am new at using free-weights etc to build muscle, I used to go to the gym a while ago, and did rollouts then. I can do planks, but feel I get more from the rollouts.

I will get my new, simplified, hopefully less crazy-dangerous workout up tomorrow for someone to give me their opinion on if that's okay?

If I HAD to choose between being on my bike, or in the gym. Then it'd be my bike, every time ;)

Fortunately, I have more spare time than most people.

Man of Honour
Same here, I'm lucky enough I can go to the gym in works time which leaves plenty of time for the bike :)

Kind of the opposite for me. I can get a lot of cycling done in the day as long as I'm happy to break it up. That's why the OcUK Strava club currently looks like this:

Code:
David Cartwright	83.5 mi	13	15.8 mi	17.0 mi/h	740 ft
Nick Lylak		62.3 mi	1	62.3 mi	12.7 mi/h	5,030 ft

I end up doing about 5 or 6 rides per day :s Also, ignore how little climbing I do... South Manchester, bleh :p

Associate
Right, my revised, less crazy-dangerous (I like that term!!) workout (subject to the forum's approval!!)

Exercise Day 1

Flat bench press (with Dumbells) 3x8
Incline bench Press (with Dumbells) 3x8
Incline Fly's 3x8
Assisted Dips 3x8
2 Hand Seated tricep extensions 3x8
Tricep Cable Pushdown 3x8

Exercise 2

Bent over one arm rows 3x8
Chin ups (assisted) 3x8
Seated rows 3x8
Barbell Curl 3x8
Hammer Curls 3x8
1 arm alternating curls 3x8

Exercise 3

Lateral Raises 3x8
Standing Military Press 3x8
Seated shoulder press 3x8
Calf raises 3x8
Lunges 3x8
Goblet Squats 3x8

I will do core work each day I go which will be barbell rollouts and hanging leg raises. How many should I be doing of these though 3x8 again or more?

I am going to do 30 mins rower work on some days, I am not going to do it every day, but will probably do it 2 out of the 3. Then I will do a little swimming (I ain't a good swimmer) on the other day.

Is there anything there I should change or alter. Too much/too little? I have planned to do the exercises I like, the ones I feel I get more out of.

Cheers.

Associate
I managed to annoy some people today and get a few looks by doing chin ups on the smith machine so I could use a straight bar grip. That is the only use for the smith machine right?

Soldato
I managed to annoy some people today and get a few looks by doing chin ups on the smith machine so I could use a straight bar grip. That is the only use for the smith machine right?

Inverted rows and bench-assisted chin/pull-ups
Using the bar to put your non-standing leg on for Bulgarian Split Squats (more comfortable than a bench)
Shrugs
Standing calf raises (standing on plates w/heels hanging off)
Donkey calf raises (you can attach a dip belt to the bar)

Associate
Man of Honour
OP
Will swap days 1 and 2, but can I ask why? Damn, I like the seated row, only thing I can do lots of weight on :D

And only 5 reps on the deadlift - again can I ask why?

Just because you can pull a lot iofweight on something doesn't make it as useful an exercise as something else.

Seated row is a good exercise, but given you already have single-arm rows in there, you are just duplicating a movement with a bit more isolation. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not best bang for your metaphorical buck. My take on training (after "whatever works") is basically lift heavier in a single exercise than at a lower intensity across two or three (I.e. heavy benching, as opposed to screwing around with notsoheavy benching, tuen incline/decline pressing. Benching followed by pec fly work is different, however).

Deadlifts will do more for your back than rowing will, anyway. ;)

And five reps because any more and - if you are lifting heavy and properly - your form will start to break and you increase your risk of injury. If you know what you are doing then there are training approaches that involve more than five reps, but for strength, stick to five or below.

Soldato
I've started upping my volume of weights last few weeks to try and increase my size.Tomorrow i am doing chest/triceps, i go 5 times a week but split my muscle groups so sometimes they get trained twice a week on rotation.

This is what i am doing tomorrow:

Flatbench Press 5x5-6
Incline Dumbell Press 4x6-10
Dumbell Pullovers 3x8-12
Cable Fly Crossover(dont know name of this?) 3x8-12
Assisted Dips 5x6-12
Close Grip Benchpress 3x8-10
Tricep Pushdowns 2x15-20 (75% or so of my lift weight for 6 rep range or so)

Is there anything i should change?

Two more questions for experienced lifters on here too: Do you guys work your forearms? if so with what exercises?

Back
Top Bottom