*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
OP
Man of Honour
Probably all you need, IMHO... But I'm not a bodybuilder. :D I actually love doing ring dips, but am waiting for my shoulder to stabilise before cracking on with them again.

Yes.

Deadlifts, RDLs, snatch, clean, rows...

This is so exactly what I would have said it's a little weird!

I keep my workouts stupidly simple these days, Bench, Dead, Row, Squat, OHP any other little exercise may get tagged on the end if I'm not already having to crawl out of the gym.

Although like mrthingyx I'm not a bb'er either I just like being big and strong.

Man of Honour
OP

I keep my workouts stupidly simple these days, Bench, Dead, Row, Squat, OHP any other little exercise may get tagged on the end if I'm not already having to crawl out of the gym.

Although like mrthingyx I'm not a bb'er either I just like being big and strong.

If I wasn't already married... ;)

I usually do Flatbench/Incline Dumbell/Dips/Closegrip Bench...should i just stick with that? that's 5 sets of each too 6-12 reps.

So... just do what you were pretty much going to do, anyway. ;)

As posted: keep it simple; keep it heavy.

However, I'm sure somebody will (re)post the optimal guide for chest development using a stable base...

Soldato
I did some paused in the hole overhead squats with the bar for the first time yesterday, mobility, I must haz acquired it (a bit)! Snatch balances in a million years when I can switch to a gym with bumper plates and Oly platforms.

Man of Honour
OP
Nice when you see a fair bit of progress from a lot of hard work, managing to build a fair bit of strength now which is awesome.

Good work!

I did some paused in the hole overhead squats with the bar for the first time yesterday, mobility, I must haz acquired it (a bit)! Snatch balances in a million years when I can switch to a gym with bumper plates and Oly platforms.

Nice... keep goimg for a couple of weeks and the snatch balance will be a doddle. :)

Soldato
So how's Musclefood? Good quality meat? There's no thread for it, but I'm sure I've seen some people talk about it every now and again.

Prices look great, slightly more expensive than the local supermarket, but presuming the quality of meat is higher.

Any recommendations on what stuff is good, aside from chicken breasts which is a given?

Soldato
Good work!

Nice... keep goimg for a couple of weeks and the snatch balance will be a doddle. :)

I'll probably play around with them a bit more - I know they're a bit of a useless exercise if you can snatch balance but it might help my back squats in terms of warming up/core bracing. Right now I need to fix some butt wink which has seemed to start popping up on my working sets - I'm deliberately trying to make my squats very Oly/quad-centric and keep my hips close to my ankles, but I guess as I get low I'm allowing the load to shift or something.

Caporegime
So how's Musclefood? Good quality meat? There's no thread for it, but I'm sure I've seen some people talk about it every now and again.

Prices look great, slightly more expensive than the local supermarket, but presuming the quality of meat is higher.

Any recommendations on what stuff is good, aside from chicken breasts which is a given?

Muscle food chicken is good, also worth trying protein foods direct as well :)

Caporegime
The only way I can bench with a bar is to use the smith machine. I just feel more comfortable using the dumbells. Have swapped the seated row for the deadlifts.

No, military press is in front, here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/military-press.html

Personally I'd just do OHP.

My workout now consists of, Squat, Deads, OHP, Bent Over Row. I add in some other exercises on my 'rest' days or at the end if I'm not hanging/have time.

As below really :) Execpt the big and strong part :p

Soldato
Few issues with the weight loss/going the gym.

1. Saggy skin, literally everywhere. My elbow now looks mangled and my stomach is beginning to look like a sad old mans face.

2. Blisters on my right hand have began to pop from doing weight training, the reason I'm up now is because one popped so badly it covered my sheets with blood.

3. I feel incredibly bad whenever I don't go to the gym. It's £1.70/£1.95 a time and sometimes that money isn't available, but whenever that is the case I go to bed with the overwhelming sense of under achievement from the day just gone.

4. I'm pretty much wearing 2/3 sets of clothes a day, laundry has become expensive.

5. The stark reality of the matter is, I actually believed that prior to this regime I was 'fit and healthy' - that false sense of security is incredibly dangerous.

Soldato
Sorry 25, I haven't read any of your previous posts so not sure if all I'm saying is relevant, but I'll give it a go anyway:

Loose skin will go over time, drink plenty of fluids to make sure you assist it, and give it time. Skin will naturally try to fit around the mass that you have, if you were quite fat for a long period then it may not ever go completely, but you can always fill out the area with some lean mass to make it not as obvious.

Are you using chalk, gloves or anything else to protect your hands? Most people will say not to use gloves, but I really don't listen to them, it keeps my hands protected while I'm lifting, and if I look like a pussy, so be it. Would rather use them over having blisters or anything else on my hands, plus if anyone else had cuts on their hands while they were using the bar I wouldn't risk getting any nasties from that on my hands.

If the money isn't available do a bodyweight routine at home, there are a lot online you can look in to, yes the gym is better for building mass, but if you honestly cannot afford to pay that amount, just do bodyweight exercises at home, you'll still see some results. This will help with laundry costs as well.

Soldato

Steaks are good value too. And using someone's referral code (RP3510) gets you free stuff :)

Associate
Was thinking about posting a log but thought I'd start in here. Been going to the gym regularly for a little over a year, though not for the past 3 months due to exams and work. About half way through that period I started reading more and realised that I was making mistakes. I changed to doing primarily 5x5 sets of basic compound moves. Now that I've quit my summer job, I have some time to get back in the gym and I wanted to change things up a bit.

My old routine (Mon, Wed, Fri) would consist of 5x5 of one leg, one push and one pull. For example I might do Squats, Military Press and BOR, then next day Deadlift, Bench Press and Chin Ups. I've been intrigued about switching to higher weight lower rep and have been doing a bit of reading. The first routine I came across was the korte 3x3, which is essentially a month of low weight high volume, which also allows greater focus on form. This is followed by a month of pushing your one rep max up. You perform Deadlift, Squat and Bench Press each session 3 times a week.

So today I decided I would test my 1 RM (DL: 130 kg, BP: 82.5 kg, Squat: 127.5 kg, calculated using a coefficients table I found onlne) and start on Monday. However, it's a powerlifting routine, and not necessarily all-rounded; there's a conspicuous lack of any pull exercise. So I was wondering if I could get opinions on slightly modifying that routine.

I was thinking about changing to a more classic 4 day 3x3 routine, but following the same principal of high volume for the first month, something along the lines of days 1 and 3 Squat and Deadlift, days 2 and 4 Bench Press and BOR. Then switching to day 1 push squat up, day 3 push deadlift up etc.

Any suggestions? Should I just go in and lift as much as I can every second day?!? :p

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom