*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Naaaaa. It's more than that because I feel just as good after a session there when I go alone (once in a while. But usually I go with my mate). There's something about it.

Soldato
What obliques exercises are you guys doing? i would like to tone my abs/obliques more now i am lowish fat and train them 3 times a week as i am going holiday soon(in 6 weeks).Any ideas? cheers. :)

I am in pretty good shape now just my lower chest/sides need toning but are flat and think i am about 14-15% bodyfat at the moment.

I also been doing walk then sprint intervals at max speed for 15-20mins.(1 min walk, 30s sprint)

Man of Honour
OP
I am tempted to RTM your post because of the misuse of the word "tone." ;)

What you are looking at doing is improving the definition of those muscles, which means lower body fat and working of those muscles to improve their resting blood supply and glycogen/water content.

No, I don't specifically work these muscles, but I do:

Obliques:

- Snatch
- Clean and jerk
- Occasionally Pallof press
- Single arm RC work.

Abz:

- Candlesticks/dragonflags
-TRX/barbell rollouts or hanging leg raises.

Soldato
Yeah true i knew it was wrong when i typed that :p Dragonflags i can't manage yet...is there an alternative?

I am not sure if i'd manage snatch well with my disadvantage on my lefthand grip i can only deadlift 90kg a few times in a row then grip gives out on lefthand.Guess i could practice it with olympic bar often first.

Candlesticks look like best option for me i think for obliques.(i've been doing a cable weighted exercise that works well involving twisting)

Man of Honour
OP
Yeah true i knew it was wrong when i typed that :p Dragonflags i can't manage yet...is there an alternative?

I am not sure if i'd manage snatch well with my disadvantage on my lefthand grip i can only deadlift 90kg a few times in a row then grip gives out on lefthand.Guess i could practice it with olympic bar often first.

Candlesticks look like best option for me i think for obliques.(i've been doing a cable weighted exercise that works well involving twisting)

Soooooo... you're teaching your core how to be unstable? This is novel. ;)

To be fair, however, there are a bucketload of dum bass exercises that people do in the gym to build "better obliques/abz/whatever" like weighted side bends, crunches and situps... all I'm saying is that there are better ways of doing it that also contribute to your ability to lift. And no - just because Lu Xiaojun has been known to do barbell side bends does not mean you should be doing them. :)

Side planks and Pallof press are a much 'better' way of managing your core stability and getting srs obliques.

Soldato
Haha it was an example of one i could find of the exercise...thing is there doesn't really seem to be much oblique weighted exercises? i'll check the info there Icecold thanks for that.Pallof press is new to me will start doing those.

Man of Honour
As Mrthingy alluded to, proper movement with big compound exercises will build the obliques too. Things like deficit bulgarian split squats and single arm kettlebell lunge are great as well. Pallof press, side planks, and proper core bracing.

Caporegime
Is it true Joe Rogan only works out using Kettlebells? For his age and schedule he maintains size quite well, he is a manlet though.

I've saw a few of his kettlebell lifts and it looks like you could really snap your **** up doing some of them, in fact I think I've heard him complaining of back problems on his podcast.

Soldato
Is it true Joe Rogan only works out using Kettlebells? For his age and schedule he maintains size quite well, he is a manlet though.

I've saw a few of his kettlebell lifts and it looks like you could really snap your **** up doing some of them, in fact I think I've heard him complaining of back problems on his podcast.

I just watched that kettle bell curl thing of his. I couldn't stop laughing. It looked vicious

Soldato
Hey guys, do any of you buy egg whites only that come in a carton, if so any advice on where I can get a decent quality egg whites. Slightly worried since it just seems a tad weird getting it from a carton period lol.

Soldato
Ripped open/off a callus today deadlifting, I've trimmed the dead skin off and have exposed the raw skin underneath - what's the best method of treatment to aid quick healing, just leave it exposed and let it dry out naturally or slap on some healing cream of some sort?

Back
Top Bottom