*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Wow 2014, such future, much weight, very pump.

Machine-Gun.gif

Plan on getting on that DoggCrapp time soon, but I tweaked my knee walking home drunk after NYE (still pulled though ;)) so gonna do some beach work outs next week to pepper my angus.

Man of Honour
First session back today after a couple of weeks away from the gym and started with some light squats, everything seemed fine so upped the weight a bit and that was still ok for a couple of sets then my right hamstring decided to remind me it wasn't happy with this state of affairs. Still did everything else I meant to and swapped in leg press for a few sets instead of the last couple of sets of squats but a good reminder to ease back into things.

Soldato
First session of the year went better than the first of 2013, my back is still intact! My current job should allow more time in the gym, coupled with cycling to work I should hopefully make some good progress. I'm certainly fitter and 5kg lighter than the start of 2013.

Good luck everyone!

Associate
Put on 3kg in around 2 weeks by just gauging and doing not much! Going to try and lose 8kg to take me down to 85kg and want to be able to dead 200kg and press 140kg by june hopefully. Currently at dead 181kg (yes the extra 1 means a lot ;) ) press 130kg. Cant really do much squat as my knee is well and truely fubar especially in the winter :( .

Also working on abs strength as i literally have none, just a flabby gut with no strength, kills me to do 4 sets of 10 sit ups!

Anyone tried the 100 push ups app? I did it to the point where it says i should be able to do 100 in 1 go but just cramped up to a hault at 60 and its just a brick wall for me. The last work outs are pretty intense doing around 285 push ups over 12 sets but i just cramp like mad.

Man of Honour
OP
Hang on a second: you can pull 180kg, bench 130kg and you think you bave no ab strength?

You either have the worst technique for lifting in the world or you actually think situps are a good indicator of something...?

And what is up with your knee, stopping you squatting but not deadlifting?

Associate
Hang on a second: you can pull 180kg, bench 130kg and you think you bave no ab strength?

You either have the worst technique for lifting in the world or you actually think situps are a good indicator of something...?

And what is up with your knee, stopping you squatting but not deadlifting?

I think I have arthritis in my right knee which does hurt with deadlift but unbareable doing squat. Have no idea why but hurts a lot more in the winter. Probably down to driving diggers/cranes past 10 years is where it all come about.

I did actually think situps were a good indication of ab strength. My abs do feel incredibly weak, when doing tricep pull down on a rope machine my abs get sore before my triceps just from steadying myself.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Disregard crunches, acquire good core exercises. Pallof press, lying leg raises, hanging leg raises, dragon flag (rip), L-sits, roll outs etc.

Man of Honour
OP
I think I have arthritis in my right knee which does hurt with deadlift but unbareable doing squat. Have no idea why but hurts a lot more in the winter. Probably down to driving diggers/cranes past 10 years is where it all come about.

I did actually think situps were a good indication of ab strength. My abs do feel incredibly weak, when doing tricep pull down on a rope machine my abs get sore before my triceps just from steadying myself.

How interesting. I would suggest - if you have knee pain - getting it looked at by somebody (a decent physio) rather than guessing at what is going on, as this will determine how you work around the issue rather than avoiding it... this is particularly important if it is something that can be fixed.

At what point during the squat does your knee actually hurt?

With regard to situps, there are many better exercises for strengthening your abs that will actually:

1) Carry over to your other lifts (because, let's be honest, what kinds of lift are you doing where you flex your spine with your abs?);
2) Not ruin your lumbar spine (some hyperbole, but situps aren't great for your back);
3) Work your rectus and transverse abdominus harder.

Examples being (to add to LiE's list)...

- Planks (done correctly);
- Candlesticks...

Soldato
Sit ups are a better indicator of hip flexor strength/endurance that they are abdominal.

Functional core exercises for the win.

Associate
How interesting. I would suggest - if you have knee pain - getting it looked at by somebody (a decent physio) rather than guessing at what is going on, as this will determine how you work around the issue rather than avoiding it... this is particularly important if it is something that can be fixed.

At what point during the squat does your knee actually hurt?.

When my knee joint is close to the 90 degree mark, so i end up having to do shallow squats instead of nice deep squats. But even after a shallow squat session my knee will hurt for days after to the point where i can barely walk.

Will try some of those ab exercises though, aslong as no kit is needed i'll be fine.

Man of Honour
You almost certainly have flexibility issues at least contributing to your knee pain. If you want help with it take a relaxed picture of your legs from the front or in a mirror, and if possible take videos from and back and side of you squatting as far as you can.

The an explanation of good CORE exercises is in the OP of the form thread. Don't do sit ups, they're a terrible exercises and could even be contributing to your issues.

Soldato
3nd session (if I include NYE :o), was in a bit of a rush this morning so ended up doing just 30 mins of elliptical. Loved it.... there should be more guys doing this.... it's a lovely workout.

On the down side I weighed myself prior and it read 88.5Kg :o BLAST ! I thought I had brought it down to 85 :/ Back to the diet and a lot of cardio - will check in next week

20140301-w_zps9aa62cc5.png

Back
Top Bottom