*** The 2014 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
(Edit - Moved from old thread).
GVT snip

I hope you are using the correct rep tempo's & eccentric phases young man.

I found 10x10 too brutal, and I love volume. GVT is better suited for those on special "assistance", in my opinion.

Hence why I favour AGVT over it. It's 10x5 (10 sets of 5 reps).

The key to (A)GVT is time under the bar, so the negative reps are crucial to do slowly.

I also don't bother with arms, but each to their own :)

I also wouldn't bother with "abs" specific workouts. There really isn't much need for it. Do more leg work instead.

Agreed.

GVT is humbling and more of a mental challenge than physical once you become accustomed to the rep tempo's. However GVT is really a strength endurance programme and offers not real progression, not for 10 weeks anyway.

AGVT would be better suited as FF suggests.

Soldato
Indeed, although I have always thought dropping the number of sets was an odd way to progress... :confused: But that doesn't mean anything other than I am easily confused. :D

I guess it's just because with 5x5 you're not going to be lifting a true 5RM for each lift, which is better for the beginner/person who's had a load of time off since you're learning form/getting used to handling heavier weight while still getting a reasonable amount of volume in. 3x5 each set is going to ask more of you and obviously 1x5 is going to be a true 5RM attempt which isn't the greatest idea for noobs (although Mehdi does set his deadlifts up this way).I know with Madcow 5x5 or the Bill Starr one it's the same principle since some of those 5 sets are warm-up/ramp-up sets to the heaviest working set rather than being a flat 5 sets (plus periodisation through the week so squatting intensity varies) and that's obviously a default recommendation by Mehdi etc for what to do once you're through with SL.

Makes sense as it's a more strength-focused routine rather than a (self-confessed) middle of the road strength/hypertrophy thing like Lyle's GBR where you're doing 3-4 sets of 6-8 on the main compounds and 2-3 sets of 10-12 on accessories, with the choice of either progressing when you're hitting 8 on all working sets or doing it RPT style depending on preference/how your body copes.

Soldato
It's not the act that is itself particularly unpleasant. It is how you will feel for a few days after. ;)
I already predicted he funny walk for the following few days!. (I say funny walk, I mean working from home :p).

I didn't spot lack of deadlifts :o. Shove them on a back day. CRUCIAL exercise.
Ay, thought so - it's an exercise I don't like skipping so wanted to pop it into something.

Which one should it replace?, maybe the BBR's? (as I'm doing other rows in the rest of the week) & couple it with bench press.

I hope you are using the correct rep tempo's & eccentric phases young man.

Agreed.

GVT is humbling and more of a mental challenge than physical once you become accustomed to the rep tempo's. However GVT is really a strength endurance programme and offers not real progression, not for 10 weeks anyway.

AGVT would be better suited as FF suggests.
4 sec negative for the larger lifts & 3 for the smaller ones from what I've read.

Will do some further reading on AGVT, as currently on a short cut - undoing the festive damage & want to get back down to at least 15% BF before starting a bulking phase so a routine well suited to a minor deficit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps do it on day 4? Give you a bit of recovery time from legs or do it on Day 1.
Sounds like a plan :) - I couldn't do a routine which didn't have the main core lifts in tbh, would just feel wrong.

It does surprise me how few people at my gym actually do dead-lifts or squats, I'd expect them to be more popular - but in reality I see about six people all doing just bro-curls five times a week in-front of the mirror. :D

Cheers for all the good advice guys /tips hat.

Soldato
Will do some further reading on AGVT, as currently on a short cut - undoing the festive damage & want to get back down to at least 15% BF before starting a bulking phase so a routine well suited to a minor deficit.

You are a braver man than I attempting any form of GVT on a cut! (Unless I have misinterpreted)

Soldato
Stronglifts is structured in a given manner to help new starters make both kinds of gains very effectively: looking at your spreadsheet, you started heavier than I would have expected for a newcomer which mean you may be missing that (ahem) stable base that drilling the lifting pattern helps, as well as the resulting numerous weeks of lifting sub-maximally before coming close to your actual max.

Secondly, your diet and sleeping patterns could be hindering you, too: not enough of either will slow your progress quite effectively.

What I am saying is: do Stronglifts properly if you're going to do it as it works a treat. :)
Well when I did the weights that they suggested it was a lot easier than I thought so I upped the weight to start with and went from there.

I should have just stuck to the plan though.

Well my diet certainly needs work but I have been working on it. My sleeping pattern is pretty good when I am at university because of my early morning lectures that I have and just in general it is pretty good.
Since being back home though that has changed! :(

I will do mate, will start it fresh when I get back to uni! and then start tracking it again.

Soldato
Oh bother, apart from becoming a bit of a fatty over xmas, due to the sheer amount I was eating, I was making some really good strength gains in a very short period of time.
Gone and screwed my shoulder this weekend and can't lift anything :(

Now I'm stuck for a month or so, just being chubby and weak :(

Might join the new year's resolution crowd on the cardio machine things while the shoulder heals.

Soldato
Ah, don't get me wrong - I'm still active, I just can't do the fun things in the gym (squat, bench, dead, shoulder press etc)

It's not a serious injury, just hurts like a ******* when i engage muscles around my clavicle / rotator cuff.

Soldato
Second day GTV was fun, chest & back day - I've got to say - typing on a keyboard the day after doing 100 bench presses & 100 barbell rows for the first time in a workout is an interesting experience to say the least... :D.

Question, would you train legs while still suffering from the last DOM's leg day? (was last Friday, first chance to train in a while so thought I'd make it legs).

The downside is the workout takes forever & normally I like to be in & out in about an hour of solid lifting - but the 10x10 takes so long with the proper times & rest periods I may need to switch to the 10x5 for time-keeping purposes.

Caporegime
The downside is the workout takes forever & normally I like to be in & out in about an hour of solid lifting - but the 10x10 takes so long with the proper times & rest periods I may need to switch to the 10x5 for time-keeping purposes.

I tried 10x5 and I just can't fit it in with the assistance work time-wise annoyingly.

Back
Top Bottom