*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thanks for advice folks. Just came back from doctors and he said its a muscle spasm. The crunch I heard is not bone but rather the muscles. He gave me a sheet with 5 mins of exercises to do with my back. And said to do them before going to the gym.

Soldato
Not sure if anyone remembers/cares but I was doing SL 5x5 until about a month ago when I got a lot of shoulder pain.

Now last week I was also diagnosed with carpel tunnel in my left hand, been told to spend less time on PC.

Guess what, eased off on the gaming over the last 5/6 days, shoulder pain has also vanished. Seems as though my shoulder pain was little to do with my workouts and more to do with 6 hour sessions playing Arma 3: Breaking Point :D

Man of Honour
Not sure if anyone remembers/cares but I was doing SL 5x5 until about a month ago when I got a lot of shoulder pain.

Now last week I was also diagnosed with carpel tunnel in my left hand, been told to spend less time on PC.

Guess what, eased off on the gaming over the last 5/6 days, shoulder pain has also vanished. Seems as though my shoulder pain was little to do with my workouts and more to do with 6 hour sessions playing Arma 3: Breaking Point :D

The guy opposite me used to get shoulder pains from working at a PC all day as well, he switched to one of the ball mice so there was less arm movement and it's fixed it for him.

Associate
I would be gutted if I had to give up squats and deadlifts

I can only recommend you rest first and lift very carefully if this is a concern. After pulling my lower back (picking a pen up off the office floor would you believe) I made the mistake of taking too short a rest and returning to lifting far too quickly, compounding it by deciding to train through the niggling back pain I got the day after lifting. End result is I have sciatica which on a daily basis doesn't bother me but either deadlifts or squats causes it to flare up again so have had to stop doing them :(

Associate
Anyone got any experience with cancelling a membership with a big chain gym?

I'm still in contract but feel they have breached their terms. In the contract it states that "This agreement can be cancelled if we are in breach of contract including if we do not provide facilities or services you may reasonably expect and we have fallen well below that standard."

Surely having enough weights and barbells for your members is reasonable? I spent 30 minutes on Tuesday trying to get an incline bench, another 15 trying to get a barbell, and then another 10 trying to get sufficient weights! Didn't start my session till around 20:30.

Soldato

I'm still in contract but feel they have breached their terms. In the contract it states that "This agreement can be cancelled if we are in breach of contract including if we do not provide facilities or services you may reasonably expect and we have fallen well below that standard."

Surely having enough weights and barbells for your members is reasonable? I spent 30 minutes on Tuesday trying to get an incline bench, another 15 trying to get a barbell, and then another 10 trying to get sufficient weights! Didn't start my session till around 20:30.

I deal with this all the time ;) except that my gym replies with "we're a cardio focused gym, 30kg dumbbells max, this is our policy, only one squat/bench rack, this is our policy" etc etc.. while cardio machines are hardly if ever used and take over 80% of the gym floor.. and freeweights area is always packed :o

Man of Honour

IIRC long contracts for things like gyms are no longer enforceable so just give them the months notice and tell them to stick it.

Associate
I've sent the manager and Harlands an email telling them they're getting a months notice and then I'm cancelling, not accepting any charges so I'll see how it goes.

If I get the "cardio focussed" spiel I'll tell them to shove it like. They've got pictures of Steve Cook and other bodybuilders on the wall! There's always around 20 treadmills free but you can never do a set without hearing "got many sets left?" about 3 times.

Man of Honour
Just checked the form thread...I think theres a few things I need to improve.
I always thought you have the bar as close to your legs and drag it up your legs, it doesn't seem so.

Well he said prevention is better than cure, and maybe look into using a belt.

The bar should absolutely be close if not in contact with your legs, but this is not the only variable you need to worry about.

You don't need to use hook grip.

A belt will not prevent injury.

It's most likely that your hip hinge is terrible and you aren't using your core properly.

Man of Honour
OP
The bar should absolutely be close if not in contact with your legs, but this is not the only variable you need to worry about.

You don't need to use hook grip.

A belt will not prevent injury.

It's most likely that your hip hinge is terrible and you aren't using your core properly.

icecold has spoken, so short, so brutal.

Mi8xlAP.gif

Soldato
Hi all, quick question and hopefully you can help.

I am literally a newbie when it comes to gy, cardio, etc... 34, 6' and weigh 15 stone. Joined gym today, read the Ultimate Starter Guide so have a rough idea of what I am aiming to do in the gym.

I do, however, have a multitude of questions regarding training whilst doing shift work, Dietary advice, etc...

There are multiple threads in here, where is the best place to have my questions answered, Training log? Each individual thread?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom