*** The 2015 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's pretty friendly around here; nothing to fear :). There are some freaks around (ahem) but most people are just averagely weak and looking to improve.

I have no idea on the scales question - I do understand the desire to quantify progress though but I go on weight improvements, go by the mirror or belt tightness

Associate
You're right, I just massively failed at reading/converting imperial. shall figure out how to increase proton count without massively increasing calories too.

I've used the iifym calculator and ended up with this:

1882 calories
carbs: 50%, 235g
protons: 30%, 141g (~1g per lb lean mass)
fat: 20%, 42g

look reasonable?

Last edited:
Associate
Scales that "read body fat" are very inaccurate and can fluctuate massively based on all sorts of arbitrary factors. I prefer to monitor body fat by comparing my waist size (measured with a tape measure around the widest part of my belly/love handles) to my weight. 28-32" depending on build is very lean (8-10%), 32-33 is more like 10-15% etc, but it really does vary with build. The important thing is to measure and then compare to yourself to track progress. So for example if you gain 10 lbs but your waist measurement doesn't change, you've likely gained almost all muscle.

Man of Honour
You're right, I just massively failed at reading/converting imperial. shall figure out how to increase proton count without massively increasing calories too.

1882 calories

look reasonable?

Unless you're massive then 140g of protein is probably going a little overboard. It won't do you any harm but you could almost certainly get away with closer to 100g (some people quote more like 0.7g per bit of lbm).

Associate
ok, third time lucky?

1882 cals
protons: 25%, 118g
fat: 25%, 52g

mfp only lets you change in 5% so it's not ideal, but i'll aim for at least 100g protons a day

Associate
It's pretty friendly around here; nothing to fear :). There are some freaks around (ahem) but most people are just averagely weak and looking to improve.

I have no idea on the scales question - I do understand the desire to quantify progress though but I go on weight improvements, go by the mirror or belt tightness

Still , for a novice like me I see those logs already on here and they look like more 'committed' lifters. I have a more relaxed way of doing things and dont want to get too caught up in the lifting side as I'm also going to be shifting lots of cardio. Tighten things up somewhat with some muscle gain but then get some serious mileage in with rowing and cycling

Scales that "read body fat" are very inaccurate and can fluctuate massively based on all sorts of arbitrary factors. I prefer to monitor body fat by comparing my waist size (measured with a tape measure around the widest part of my belly/love handles) to my weight. 28-32" depending on build is very lean (8-10%), 32-33 is more like 10-15% etc, but it really does vary with build. The important thing is to measure and then compare to yourself to track progress. So for example if you gain 10 lbs but your waist measurement doesn't change, you've likely gained almost all muscle.

Hmmm , yes I see your point and thats what a feared somewhat. I've never been one to read my waist measurement as I was too scared of what it would say ;)

I guess if you're going to lose the external signs of body fat then you're pretty much guaranteed to be losing it internally too ?

Soldato
Recommendations are typically
Protein - 1-1.4g of protein per lb of lean bodyweight (if cals are maint. or surplus this can go down to 0.8-1/2g/lb although it doesn't hurt to have more if your food choices naturally make it higher)
Fat - 15-30% of calories (I tend to keep cals the same but up fats on rest days just so I can eat different foods)
Carbs - the rest

http://rippedbody.jp/wp-content/upl...ing-contest-preparation-JISSN-Infographic.jpg

EDIT - if going by total bodyweight then 0.7-0.8g/lb of protein is probably pretty similar.

Last edited:
Soldato

1882 calories

look reasonable?
Imo this is better except substitute a few Carbs for extra Grams of fat.. Not much though... 1g per 1lb protein for maintaining muscle mass whilst in a cut/diet is almost essential from my experience. Many lifters aim for upto 1.5g per lb bodyweight when cutting.. But everyone is different, experiment with macros and as mentioned it varies on your goals.

I'm cutting and my current macros are 133p/230c/46 fat and it totals to 1884 calories.

Soldato
Gym while under with man flu, yes or no? It's heavy man flu, so I'm still at work and well capable of doing all tasks, albeit I must winge every 15 minutes about how unwell I feel

Associate
Hugely depends how bad you feel, if you are at work then you can't be that bad?

Maybe worth dropping the load a little if you do go but your body should indicate to you if you are going to die anytime soon

Man of Honour
Gym while under with man flu, yes or no? It's heavy man flu, so I'm still at work and well capable of doing all tasks, albeit I must winge every 15 minutes about how unwell I feel

Opportune moment for some extra arm sessions. No real bracing required (unless benching) so none of the head-explosion feeling; all of the endorphins and the pump to combat feeling like death.

Or...

Dose up on caffeine and phenlyephrine and train as normal. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom